Virus/Spyware sticky - updated 25/04/08

Postby larchy on Wed Oct 27, 2004 2:48 pm

larchy
Site Admin
R2 where are you?

steamID: larchy
antispam1: Yes
orientation: Yes
This is a newbie-oriented guide, most ppl on here should know all this stuff already, but might be helpful for some or a good place to point ppl asking this sort of stuff.

Basically if your PC is slow/freezing/crashing/full of popups etc then its usually down to having an absolute load of sh*te installed on there. Really you should know better, but heres how to begin cleaning your PC up and how to protect yourself if you run into these sorts of problems.

Most likely, your computer is a spyware infested, spam spewing, viral Chernobyl, being used by some 13 year old cracker as he tries to take down Wall Street.

The following advice is offered freely, without support, and without any explicit warranty, nor any recourse should my advice cause your computer to break even worse than it has already. This doesn’t mean you can’t ask me for further help, I just don’t want to get sued.

The #1 reason your computer is running slowly, spewing popups, changing your homepage, crashing like a pinto, and sending your personal data to identity thieves in Uzbekistan is Internet Explorer. It’s buggy, unreliable, insecure, and poorly written. Not using Internet Explorer will kill 90% of your problems. The other 10% will be eliminated by removing other Microsoft products from your computer, such as Outlook Express/Outlook and Microsoft Office.

There are several steps you’ll need to take to clean up your computer.

1. Buy a broadband router w/ hardware firewall. These lock your computer down and keep it safe from random worms and other such crap coming across the Intarweb. They are incredibly simple to set up; several board members have set them up by themselves. This is the only thing in the entire list that will cost you money.

An alternative is a software firewall.

For Windows Vista use the built in one, for XP use Comodo Free

2. Once you’ve picked up the firewall, uninstall Norton. It’s about as useful as a filleting knife for a fish – no hands to grab it, and it hurts a lot if you run into the wrong part.

3. Spybot Search and Destroy is no longer all that good. Instead fight adware/spyware with a combination of Lavasoft Adaware Free and Windows Defender

The best commercial application is Webroot Spysweeper

4. For Antivirus there are decent options which are free - Antivir, Avast or AVG

However there are only two real recommendations - either NOD32 or Kaspersky

NOD32 is better at protecting against new threats that don't yet have a definition file, and Kaspersky has a slightly wider set of definitions. Both are superb.

5. Download FireFox from http://www.mozilla.org/products/firefox/ - that’s the alternative to Internet Explorer I was telling you about.

If you don’t use a webmail e-mail interface (Hotmail, Yahoo) then you should probably also download Thunderbird - http://www.mozilla.org/products/thunderbird/ - which is a good e-mail client without any significant security issues. Much more secure than Outlook Express.

6. System safeguarding.

In Vista this is called User Account Control (UAC), in XP use Winpatrol

7. Enable Windows Update to download patches and install them once they’ve been downloaded. If you have Microsoft Office on your computer, go to http://office.microsoft.com and click on the “Check for Updates” button about once a month. That will take you to the “Office Update” page where you need to press the “Check for Updates” button AGAIN, at which point it might deign to actually check and install updates.

8. If you need an alternative to Microsoft Office, check out OpenOffice – it’s available for free from http://www.openoffice.org/ , and is a full-featured Microsoft Office replacement. It even reads most Microsoft Office files, and can output in Office file formats as well.

I won’t guarantee this will clean up your computer 100% - in fact, it’s quite possible that you’ll still be spyware-infested, wormed, virused, zombied, and spewing spam across the internet, but it’s a good first step.

Here endeth the lesson for n00behs.
Last edited by larchy on Tue Nov 09, 2004 4:11 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Postby Tonster on Tue Nov 02, 2004 5:50 pm

Tonster
Not Twisted, Toothpick or Tuff

steamID: MartianLM
antispam1: No
Battle.Net ID: MartianLM#2136
I remember a while back people complaining that the things the spyware/adware removal tools deleted often buggered their PCs. Is that still valid or are they now more reliable?

I like the sound of the free AV, my current sub with Norton is up and this could well replace it.

Postby Eric on Tue Nov 02, 2004 5:52 pm

Eric
Forum Bicycle

Just saw this post...isn't telling people to install firefox as well as enabling windows update a bit messy? If you've got windows update on, why bother with a different browser as IE should be fine, right?

Postby feign on Tue Nov 02, 2004 11:51 pm

feign
Forum Bicycle
left then right and twist 2, 3

Windows updated is still more full of holes than the Shef Utd defence (just sat with my fatehr in law and watcehd them get mullered 5-1 by Ipswich).

Postby Quinnbeast on Tue Nov 09, 2004 3:20 pm

Quinnbeast
Forum Guru
Internet Hitler says Noooooooo

isn't telling people to install firefox as well as enabling windows update a bit messy?

Installing and using firefox is a piece of wizz. There's bugger all to it. It installs like any other program, you set it as default browser, and off you go. It's surprising how much a simple browser change can improve ones interneting experience (or something).

Edit

Larch - Your link to Open Office has a surplus comma at the end.

[/picky]

Postby Fluffybunnyfeet on Fri Nov 12, 2004 6:50 pm

Fluffybunnyfeet
Forum Guru
Get well soon dude

steamID: Fluffy_bunny_feet
AKA: Fluffybunnyfeet
I would add Hijackthis also as its really good for sniffing out bad registry lines

http://www.spychecker.com/program/hijackthis.html
***DISCLAIMER***
The message written above was created using XtremeSarcasm V1.2. It is not to be taken literally or seriously. The creator assumes no responsibility.

Postby Xion on Sun Nov 21, 2004 7:05 pm

Xion
Forum Guru
I got da cheats like Armstrong

steamID: Xion
AKA: Gunslinger
Good post Larchy :)

Postby owdgit on Thu Jan 20, 2005 9:38 pm

owdgit
Forum Newbie

Spybot found 42 problems!
Thanks.

Postby Goksly on Wed Jul 06, 2005 7:32 pm

Goksly
Forum Guru

What you think about NOD32 as an AV larchy?

Postby larchy on Wed Jul 06, 2005 7:43 pm

larchy
Site Admin
R2 where are you?

Well as an official NOD32 reseller I might have a vested interest in telling you its superb :P

If you want a virus checker to placate mum&dad then install norton because they won't understand anything that doesn't take at least 5hours to check the system 3 times a day.

If you want to deploy something serious as an admin, then something with heuristic scanning is one of the most effective choices certainly.

But if its just for your personal machine then you shouldn't be allowed to be a nerd if you have to run an AV :imu:

Postby Goksly on Wed Jul 06, 2005 8:13 pm

Goksly
Forum Guru

hehe... i like to have an AV just incase and quite a few people have been telling me to do a Nod32/Sygate combo instead of my norton av 2005 :P

You concur then? :P

Postby larchy on Wed Jul 06, 2005 8:27 pm

larchy
Site Admin
R2 where are you?

Yeah, Nod32 is in a different league :)

Postby Goksly on Wed Jul 13, 2005 8:20 pm

Goksly
Forum Guru

ok what about firewalls then? people have said to me sygate personal (freeeeeee) and others say zonealarm.

I want something effective but not use any (hardly) resources? :D

Postby archerz on Wed Jul 13, 2005 8:44 pm

archerz
Forum Regular

Postby LOADSABEER on Wed Jul 13, 2005 10:14 pm

LOADSABEER
Forum Guru
has no beer

steamID: LOADSABEER
PSN: LOADSABEER
AKA: BEER
orientation: No
Doesn't most equipment come with a hardware firewall these days?

Postby Goksly on Wed Jul 13, 2005 11:05 pm

Goksly
Forum Guru

my motherboard has a firewall but its fckin crap and no matter what i do it wont let oracle work :S

Postby Tonster on Sun May 07, 2006 9:05 pm

Tonster

I thought I'd give SpyBot and AdAware a run on my PC as it's been over a year since I last did a full reformat.

SpyBot went first and found 75 'problems', AdAware then found a further 81. All of them were cookies. Having deleted all of those I've a good mind to just delete all my cookies and start again.

Fascinating I know.

Postby Jobabob on Sun May 07, 2006 10:41 pm

Jobabob
Forum Bicycle

AKA: urmum
is this thread resurrection week or something
Living the dream in birmingham

Postby Tonster on Mon May 08, 2006 7:01 am

Tonster

It's a sticky thread, it never went anywhere :P

Postby Jobabob on Mon May 08, 2006 7:33 am

Jobabob
Forum Bicycle

AKA: urmum
oh good point, I never actually browse the forums like that, always been a 'view new posts' man :/
Living the dream in birmingham

Next

Return to Technical Support