Moderator: larchy

Postby Fluffybunnyfeet on Tue Mar 13, 2007 11:24 pm

Fluffybunnyfeet
Forum Guru
Get well soon dude

steamID: Fluffy_bunny_feet
AKA: Fluffybunnyfeet
http://www.ccleaner.com

Cleans out all them hard to reach places around the U bend and whatnot.

Really good click and wipe out proggy for all the dross that is lurking around.

Re: Virus/Spyware sticky - updated 25/04/08

Postby larchy on Fri Apr 25, 2008 9:11 am

larchy
Site Admin
R2 where are you?

steamID: larchy
antispam1: Yes
orientation: Yes
Updated.

Postby feign on Fri Apr 25, 2008 11:25 am

feign
Forum Bicycle
left then right and twist 2, 3

Thanks for the update, stupid question time now.

For sme reason, since IE7 I was living under the assumption that it was every bit as safe as Firefox, is this not so?

If it;s not, I'll swap both PC's at home this weekend, so please do tell Larchy!

Postby larchy on Fri Apr 25, 2008 12:43 pm

larchy
Site Admin
R2 where are you?

Firefox and Safari are the current best windows browsers.

There is a lot of discussion and FUD flying around with regards to browser security, including so called 'reports' on the number of exploits/vulnerabilities discovered in each that always have huge flaws in the way the 'flaws' are defined and how the severity of each is compared.

Bottom line is that Internet Explorer has, and will continue to be with IE8, a terrible piece of software for a massive range of reasons. Security is just one of these, and yes IMO it continues to be far more susceptible to allowing shite onto your PC (ActiveX for the security win! Another great idea MS :rolleyes:) as well as just being generally fucking shit compared to the many alternatives.

Right now its tough to beat Firefox+AdBlock Plus (and possibly flashblock & noscript) for something secure that just works without hassles.

Postby annoyingmouse on Fri Apr 25, 2008 3:13 pm

annoyingmouse
Forum Regular
This mouse has antlers...

larchy wrote:Right now its tough to beat Firefox+AdBlock Plus (and possibly flashblock & noscript) for something secure that just works without hassles.

Opera takes a big stick to both IE8 and FF in my opinion!

Postby larchy on Fri Apr 25, 2008 4:18 pm

larchy
Site Admin
R2 where are you?

Its got too many rendering issues compared with Firefox and Safari.

Postby annoyingmouse on Fri Apr 25, 2008 9:17 pm

annoyingmouse
Forum Regular
This mouse has antlers...

I'd disagree; after developing with it it seems to be about the best. But I guess your millage may vary.

Postby larchy on Fri Apr 25, 2008 10:17 pm

larchy
Site Admin
R2 where are you?

Opera lacks support for several major websites, such as Google Page Creator, and has many minor issues with others such as Google Mail, Wordpress sites, several major public institution websites (such as John Hopkins).

Doesn't happen with FF.

Plugin support for FF is also a given these days - still not so with Opera.

Its all very well if you're technically inclined, but I don't feel it would be a good recommendation in a newbie/basics oriented guide due to the above niggles.

Postby Steev on Wed Dec 24, 2008 4:59 pm

Steev
I cry at wankings.

PSN: Velse
Xbox Live: Aesri
Twitter: velse
Just got a Vista machine for my parents' and this is pretty useful, cheers. Went for AVG for virus stuff but they've always been the type to be scared to click on anything. They only really use it for browsing.

The machine came with McAfee but only 30 days so didn't seem worth installing it.

The Vista default protection stuff for everything else is mostly ok isn't it?

Postby larchy on Sat Dec 27, 2008 12:16 pm

larchy
Site Admin
R2 where are you?

Yeah. Assuming it's Vista 64bit (it should be) 64bit IE7 in protected mode with DEP is the most secure web browser.

Postby DrKazza on Wed Apr 15, 2009 2:42 am

DrKazza
Pinball Wizard

steamID: DrKazza
antispam1: No
Q for you... do you still stand by the original post (i.e. NOD and Kaspersky etc.) ... post 12m old but I'm assuming it still applies?

Doing a full system reinstall because it's slow and buggy (probably vuze!) and didn't want to stick macafee back on if it's not as good as something faster!
That's The REVEREND Dr. Kazza to you.

Postby larchy on Wed Apr 15, 2009 5:14 pm

larchy
Site Admin
R2 where are you?

There is a comparison guide here (click on 'main comparatives' for the latest .pdf from February)

There is a section at the end of the PDF that sums up all the results and gives out awards - basically nod32, kaspersky, norton and McAfee are the best.

However nod32/kaspersky have vastly lower overheads and are less of a crap-fest. The newest norton versions are actually very good, as opposed to the horrendous crapfests that they've been for the past decade. Still, bad karma though.

Avira is also decent, and of course there is always still the free AVG if you don't need and extra frills.

nod32 is always my personal first choice recommendation because I've never seen it cause any problems, does its job, is very lightweight and is extremely configurable if the need arises. If you prefer one of the others then they'll still do the job just the same!

Postby DrKazza on Wed Apr 15, 2009 6:00 pm

DrKazza
Pinball Wizard

steamID: DrKazza
thanks... took your advice and went for Nod... you're right SUPER lightweight (hark at me after the vuze thread)
That's The REVEREND Dr. Kazza to you.

Postby Mister666 on Mon Apr 20, 2009 5:43 pm

Mister666
Forum Guru
tabard

steamID: Sixxor
PSN: Sixxor
Xbox Live: Sixxor
AKA: Sixxor/Sixxor666
Twitter: @DonkeyBadger
orientation: No
Battle.Net ID: Sixxor#2147
I've been using Nod32 for about 3 years now and it's excellent. Very lightwieght as you say and very quiet, IE it won't pester you with popup messages about downloading the latest virus revision files or doing on access scans like some AV packages do. I don't care what you're doing, just do it an don't bother me unless something's wrong! This is exactly what Nod32 does. :D

Postby Tonster on Mon Apr 20, 2009 6:06 pm

Tonster
Not Twisted, Toothpick or Tuff

steamID: MartianLM
Battle.Net ID: MartianLM#2136
I'm still on AVG free and am getting pretty tired of it being reported by Windows (vista 64 bit) as not working, or it failing to connect to the server to update. Think I'll be giving the competition a whirl. Basically I don't recommend AVG.

Postby larchy on Sat May 02, 2009 7:54 am

larchy
Site Admin
R2 where are you?

larchy wrote:The newest norton versions are actually very good, as opposed to the horrendous crapfests that they've been for the past decade.

After recent experience seeing Norton 360 independently hose 3 different systems after 'updating', I would like to retract this endorsement and return to my earlier position that Norton is Satan's own urea.

Postby Cacker on Sat May 02, 2009 9:08 am

Cacker
Site Admin
4th floor ponce

steamID: Cacker
PSN: Cacker67
must have been a statistical anomaly ... you work at Black Mesa ? :E
/Chairs

Cacker

Postby larchy on Sat May 02, 2009 9:28 am

larchy
Site Admin
R2 where are you?

With Norton the statistical anomaly is when it isn't shit

Postby larchy on Wed May 20, 2009 8:25 am

larchy
Site Admin
R2 where are you?

I just thought I'd mention an interesting behaviour I hadn't seen before while dealing with a rather tenacious rootkit over at a m8s a little while ago.

Symptoms were the usual sort of thing... Windows Update wouldn't resolve and other websites such as antivirus sites/trendmicro etc were blocked. Internet was slow, apps randomly crashed and windows just disappeared at random for no reason. Trying to get to the root of c:\ via explorer would redirect you to a different drive etc, and it created autorun entries on every drive so that clicking on a drive in explorer would reinstall the virus/trojan/malware/wtf the media want to call it today. This also meant plugging a flash drive in would give you a lovely infected USB drive with which to infect other PCs :D (noone in their right mind runs with autorun enabled right? Oh, wait... guess that's another minority I'm in. At least MS have finally disabled it by default in W7 after a decade of being told what an issue it is).

Anyway, after bitch-slapping the rootkit from within ERD and deleting the autoruns, weirdly named files, registry start links, browser proxy overrides, hosts file changes etc I got the system back to working order.

Now here's the reason I'm posting because I'd honestly not seen this before or realised it was possible. I was scratching my head looking for what I had missed since some websites (WU etc) still weren't resolving. Even after flushing the DNS showed some wierd servers, so I eventually fired up an ubuntu live and checked to see if the sites would resolve. They didn't.

My attention now turned to the router, a Linksys WRT54G. The wireless was disabled on it since it never got used, but that was as much security as there was. The username/password default of admin/admin had not been changed and the router's DNS had actually been changed by this daft virus/whatever. a quick reset to factory settings and everything was working fine again!

So, change those default passwords people, even if you're sure noone can get on your network a malicious bit of software might!

Previous

Return to Technical Support