Opinion on new system please.

Postby Ronaldo on Sat Jan 25, 2014 1:09 pm

Ronaldo
Forum Guru
wibwub ronwah!

Xbox Live: Average Boab
antispam1: No
orientation: Yes
Hello chaps - long time no see and all that!
I come with a begging bowl that requires donations of advice ;)

• Current PC is dying. It's an 8 year old piece of shit e-machine that was bought from Tesco for about 300 quid! The only thing thats been upgraded is a couple of sticks of ram and a new monitor. Can't even play youtube videos now without the thing almost falling over.
  • Therefore I've bought a new system. I've had to buy it from Littlewoods though (yes I know). Buy now pay 12 months later, although I will just buy pay it off before the end of the year. Having to go down this route because we are off to Florida in July and that is tying up all the spare cash and I ain't loading up the plastic either.

So that's the background and the reasons etc. I'm not looking to do any serious gaming, but I wouldn't mind the option of jumping in and testing the water in the future so I would like the system to play most of the newest titles even if it's not on the highest settings.

Went for this - http://www.littlewoods.com/zoostorm-7911-4356-intelreg-coretrade-i7-16gb-1tb-wifi-215in-desktop-bundle-black/1315541908.prd?browseToken=%2fb%2f101003%2c4294916018

Specs

• Intel® Core™ i7-4770 3.4GHz QUAD Core Haswell Processor

• 16GB DDR3 1333 RAM

• 1TB hard drive

• DVDRW drive

• NVidia GTX 760 2GB On Board Graphics

• Microsoft Windows 8 Home Premium

• High Quality Gaming Case With Increased Airflow

• Increased 500w PSU

• 21.5in 1920 x 1080 LED Gloss Black Monitor

• 6 x USB 2.0 Ports (2 front, 4 rear)

• 1 x DVI Port

• 1 x VGA Port

• 1 x HDMI Port

• Amazing HD Audio on board

• Stylish finger print resistance case

• Wireless b/g/n network card

• Windows 8 Keyboard & Mouse

I've had a quick read of reviews of the CPU and it seems to get a good write up. The GPU I know is not at the top end, but I'm hoping it's not terrible either.
RAM I guess 16gb is good (better than the 1gb I've got now!) - speed could be better though?

No mention of MB, HDD specs or extensive info on the DVDRW so I can only imagine these will be on the low end of the spectrum in terms of performance.
I fully expect that I could save myself several hundred quid by building the same machine myself or get a much better system for the same price. But it is what it is!

Thoughts? Decent enough for the next few years anyway, first thing to upgrade etc?

Cheers!

Re: Opinion on new system please.

Postby Kiwi on Sat Jan 25, 2014 5:54 pm

Kiwi
Forum Bicycle

usually with onboard graphics they are the first thing to upgrade, though i've no experience of recent onboard stuff. Hope its what you want :) As for advice i'm not really much of a knowledge base so Larchy is your man there.

Postby Ronaldo on Sat Jan 25, 2014 6:34 pm

Ronaldo
Forum Guru
wibwub ronwah!

I did wonder what it meant by on board. Do you think thats right? I assumed it was a typo of sorts and it's a proper GPU.

Postby Ronaldo on Sat Jan 25, 2014 6:43 pm

Ronaldo
Forum Guru
wibwub ronwah!

Looks like it could be bought here too http://www.woolworths.co.uk/zoostorm-7911-4356-intelreg-coretrade-i7-16gb-1tb-wifi-215in-desktop-bundle-black/1315541908.prd

The last guy reviewing posted a photograph and because its a gaming case with a perspex panel you can see the card. But I'm really out of touch with this type of thing so I can't be certain.

Postby larchy on Sat Jan 25, 2014 6:51 pm

larchy
Site Admin
R2 where are you?

steamID: larchy
antispam1: Yes
I'm fairly certain woolworths/littlewoods/very are all owned by the same investment group (backed by the Barclay brothers IIRC). If you are looking at products at littlewoods you clearly don't care about being shafted massively, so don't see that it makes much difference.

There's nothing outright bad about it. As usual with big OEMs half the specs make no sense at all; the component choice is somewhat unbalanced, but it will be ok.

It is (at the very least) £400 overpriced: http://www.amazon.co.uk/Zoostorm-7877-0 ... rid_pt_0_2

The ebuyer site is down right now, but they do sell zoostorm system (and many others) and offer finance at far more reasonable rates, as do most places these days.

The 760 is not "onboard", it is a discrete part and is decent.

Edit: ok, amazon haven't got a 70 quid monitor tacked on, but tbh the whole thing is overpriced anyway]

Postby Ronaldo on Sat Jan 25, 2014 6:54 pm

Ronaldo
Forum Guru
wibwub ronwah!

Cheers Larchy. That's basically what I needed to know.
Call me a sap, but as much as it's a rip off compared to other places - it's just convenient for me to buy from there just now.

If it helps to compare, this is what it will replace. So I'm hoping to see a significant jump in performance.

- Intel Celeron 420 1.6GHz Processor

- 1GB DDR2 Memory

- 80GB SATA II Hard Drive

- 56K* ITU v.92 ready Fax/Modem

- Intel PRO 10/100Mbps Ethernet LAN

- 15 in 1 Memory Card Reader

- Multi-Format Dual Layer DVD Re-Writer

- Intel integrated graphics with shared video memory

- High Definition 6-Channel (5.1) Audio

- 4 USB 2.0 ports, 1 Parallel, 2 PS/2, Audio-In & Out, Mic-In & Head Phone jack on front, Video ports

- Keyboard & Mouse

- Speakers not included

- Microsoft Windows Vista Home Basic and Microsoft Works Software

Postby Ronaldo on Sat Jan 25, 2014 6:57 pm

Ronaldo
Forum Guru
wibwub ronwah!

If we take the price out of the equation and pretend I'm not a mug/idiot.
I just want to know I'm not buying a piece of crap :P

edit - Finance elsewhere ain't going to happen for me right now - coming out the other end of a trust deed and although I'm earning pretty good just now the whole credit thing takes time to repair. So for now I need to use the credit I have available to me.

Postby larchy on Sat Jan 25, 2014 6:59 pm

larchy
Site Admin
R2 where are you?

You might run into problems as the new system won't be able to boil your kettle due to not being steam powered, and the casing won't be chiselled from granite so could potentially be scuffed and stained by your cans of Irn Bru.

Postby Ronaldo on Sat Jan 25, 2014 7:01 pm

Ronaldo
Forum Guru
wibwub ronwah!

Arf. Part of the benefits of Glasgow getting the 2014 games is the improved infrastructure and the availability of electricity in homes now ;)

Postby larchy on Sat Jan 25, 2014 7:04 pm

larchy
Site Admin
R2 where are you?

They posted you each a battery? Did you fry them?

No m8, it'll do, its decent. As the product description says, it should bring you years of "smooth photo viewing experience". Clever stuff eh!

Postby Ronaldo on Sat Jan 25, 2014 7:10 pm

Ronaldo
Forum Guru
wibwub ronwah!

Thanks dude. Sound advice and the shit ripped out me - can't ask for better than that ;)

Postby Kiwi on Sun Jan 26, 2014 7:19 pm

Kiwi
Forum Bicycle

You are going to notice a huge difference with an i7 over what you had. I just upgraded daughters from a similar spec pc to what you had to an i3 (two i's lower) and it's a massive boost in performance.

Return to Technical Support