Wipe my monitor (fnar)

Postby Tonster on Wed Jan 22, 2014 9:49 pm

Tonster
Not Twisted, Toothpick or Tuff

steamID: MartianLM
antispam1: No
orientation: Yes
Battle.Net ID: MartianLM#2136
I'm looking to get a new monitor to use as my main one, and have my current one as the secondary monitor. Current monitor is an ageing, but still excellent Dell 2100FP. Graphics card is a GeForce GTX 580 with twin DVI output.

I want a 24" wide screen monitor and picked this one out;
http://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B005LNDPPS

Dumb arse questions;
1) Is the above a good choice, or is there a better alternative (I'd shop around for price, just looking at the model here)?
2) Current monitor uses a DVI connection, as does the one linked above. Is that future proof enough these days?
3) The above is a 24" monitor with a res of 1920x1200 but this seems to be unusual, they are more usually 1920x1080. Any problem with that? My Dell is 1600x1200 for reference

Thanks for any advice.

Re: Wipe my monitor (fnar)

Postby Cacker on Thu Jan 23, 2014 10:11 am

Cacker
Site Admin
4th floor ponce

steamID: Cacker
PSN: Cacker67
I've recently bought 3 of these - 27" IIYAMA E2773HS.

They're not IPS and they're also 1920x1080. However, they're fantastic.

I did have 24" before and did not regret moving to 27". Said the actress to the bishop.
/Chairs

Cacker

Postby Klors on Thu Jan 23, 2014 2:33 pm

Klors
Forum Guru
Would fuck the antichrist

Tonster wrote:I'm looking to get a new monitor to use as my main one, and have my current one as the secondary monitor. Current monitor is an ageing, but still excellent Dell 2100FP. Graphics card is a GeForce GTX 580 with twin DVI output.

I want a 24" wide screen monitor and picked this one out;
http://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B005LNDPPS

Dumb arse questions;
1) Is the above a good choice, or is there a better alternative (I'd shop around for price, just looking at the model here)?
2) Current monitor uses a DVI connection, as does the one linked above. Is that future proof enough these days?
3) The above is a 24" monitor with a res of 1920x1200 but this seems to be unusual, they are more usually 1920x1080. Any problem with that? My Dell is 1600x1200 for reference

Thanks for any advice.

1) I've not had many problems with Dell Ultrasharps. However, I'd read this as it covers most of what you'd want to know, http://www.amazon.co.uk/review/R2ULLX2N ... =computers.
2) Depends if you want to use it with an xbox or a blu-ray or other audio/HDCP device, you'd need a separate audio cable I think... it has displayport which I think is basically very similar to HDMI (I've used HDMI outputs connected to DisplayPort monitors via a converter, or maybe it was the other way around, they support different max resolutions and refresh rates or something) but doesn't really-sort-of support HDCP last I heard so you maybe possibly couldn't use it for xbox/blu-ray etc. I'm sure Larch will correct me on all of this :)
3) It's unusual, in a good way. I use 1920x1200 on one of my PCs and haven't had any issues, always dislike using 1080 in comparison too.
Klors Trofobik

Postby larchy on Fri Jan 24, 2014 8:17 am

larchy
Site Admin
R2 where are you?

steamID: larchy
antispam1: Yes
x1200 height is difficult to find these days. It's surprising what a difference an extra 120 pixels makes, but it's up to you how bothered you are about it.

IPS isn't just IPS any more; there's a whole host of variations. The most common you'll find are eIPS panels, which are in the price&response time range of TN panels but have better colour reproduction... or at least they did when they first appeared a couple of years ago. TN has come on an awful lot recently; just taking the panel Cacker linked to, it's TN but is just as good as any eIPS panel you'd find.

27" is well worth it for very little extra cost

I wouldn't worry about inputs; there's a squillion different adapters out there and at low resolutions ( 1080p etc ) it doesn't really matter... for PCs anyway, unless you want to use blurays (ffs discs that are DRM-ed to fuck? really?) and the shitty built in speakers. HDMI is just a retardedly designed DRM shackle, and displayport an open standard that will support a myriad of different bollocks depending on which miniscule revision the devices you're plugging in support. If you're planning on hooking up one of these console box things then ensure there's an HDMI else there's the potential to run into ballaches due to the enforced moronic DRM shit they shove up everyone who actually bothers to pay. Displayport does support HDCP, you just tend to find that HDCP over displayport isn't 'supported' by devices made by companies that get royalties from HDMI, ie Apple/Sony (try to play back bluray over displayport on windows media player and you'll find out it isn't "validated" - how about you just let people use wtf they've bought for a change you bunch of cnuts.... to be fair things aren't so bad now and most displayport outputs do now support HDCP, but it can still be hit and miss). Audio transfer will vary depending on what the devices support... but again... would you use built in speakers anyway?

I'd mention maybe waiting for some Gsync panels to show up, but there'll be a significant price premium and you don't have a Kepler derivative anyway, so probably not a consideration.

Postby Tonster on Fri Jan 24, 2014 11:35 am

Tonster

Cacker wrote:I've recently bought 3 of these - 27" IIYAMA E2773HS.

3! Have you got compound eyes or something?

Well dagnammit now I want a 27" DVI/HDMI monitor at x1200 rez, 3D ready and factory calibrated for print with kitchen sink attached and it seems they don't exist unless I'm willing to stump up over a grand for an ultra rez pro monitor, which I'm not.

Actually not really fussed about HDMI as long as graphics cards don't decide to drop DVI in future (but like you say, adaptors are cheap), it's really for pure PC work (usual usage plus photoshop and life destroying games). Consoles and built in lolspeakers can SMB.

Think I might do ip-dip on a 27" monitor from Amazon as I can always return it.

If I got a monitor with no DVI and had to use a DVI > HDMI adaptor, is the picture still as crisp or would it be noticeably blurry. I would hate it if text in particular was even slightly fuzzy.

Actually, after playing with the filters for size, ratings and connection types on Amazon and then going through the top rated, if I discard the monitors which have unnecessary features (3D, built in speakers etc) the one that comes out is the one compound-eye-boy recommended. Hmm... tempting

Postby Tonster on Fri Jan 24, 2014 12:17 pm

Tonster

Sod it, went with the 27" Iiyama from Overclockers as I could get a Saturday delivery.

PS: And thanks for all the advice! :x

Postby Klors on Sat Jan 25, 2014 8:32 am

Klors
Forum Guru

Tonster wrote:If I got a monitor with no DVI and had to use a DVI > HDMI adaptor, is the picture still as crisp or would it be noticeably blurry

It's all digital, no difference, with a caveat.

Some old flat panel TVs used to cut off the edge of HDMI inputs, which means you don't have a 1:1 pixel mapping any more and you get blurry shit, not an issue with monitors though.
Klors Trofobik

Postby Tonster on Sat Jan 25, 2014 11:31 am

Tonster

Monitor arrived this morning. Thanks for recommending 27", lovely jubbly and not the 'oh shit that's far too big' thin I thought it might seem once on my desk.

However coming from a graphic design and photography background I am a fussy fuck in regards to image quality and I'm actually fighting a feeling of disappointment with the monitor. Games look great simply by being so big, but normal Windows stuff is not what I'd hoped for. Compared to my Dell the Iiyama bleaches colours (even after mucking about with the settings) and the lower resolution (depth-wise) is quite perceptible. Big screen and a slightly lower resolution means flaws are made bigger, and as such the text is noticably just not as crisp and sharp. Add in the niggles that the stand is not height adjustable and the viewing angle is significantly more limited than the Dell and it all adds up.

You get what you pay for and this was not an expensive monitor, but it leaves me wondering if I should up the budget and go for a 27" with a higher resolution like these;
http://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B009668YPM/
http://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B00B1QTZOE
Running games at native rez on those would strain the system somewhat more though.

[edit]Ooh, http://www.ebuyer.com... "this page cannot be displayed". According to this it's been down for nearly 5 hours so far.

Postby Klors on Mon Jan 27, 2014 5:37 pm

Klors
Forum Guru

Tonster wrote:However coming from a graphic design and photography background I am a fussy fuck in regards to image quality and I'm actually fighting a feeling of disappointment with the monitor. Games look great simply by being so big, but normal Windows stuff is not what I'd hoped for. Compared to my Dell the Iiyama bleaches colours (even after mucking about with the settings) and the lower resolution (depth-wise) is quite perceptible.

That's why you pay the big bucks for the IPS.

Lower end have always made me think this, which doesn't mean they're bad, but they're for different things.
Klors Trofobik

Postby Cacker on Mon Jan 27, 2014 7:52 pm

Cacker
Site Admin
4th floor ponce

Tonst .. did you go for the Iiyama I linked to ? If so, yeah, the default settings melt your eyes. After calibrating it, I'm pretty happy with the 2D rendering as well as 3D. However, as you say, because of your poncey (tehee) background I may be less fickle.

I assume your using some proper calibration software to get the RGB and gamma levels cowwect ?

I used Calibrize.

I can't speak for the stands .. I've got them mounted up on a cheapy £80 stand from amazon.

/Chairs

Cacker

Postby Klors on Tue Jan 28, 2014 2:44 pm

Klors
Forum Guru

Cacker wrote:However, as you say, because of your poncey (tehee) background I may be less fickle.

Says the man with byzantine artwork on his wall.
Klors Trofobik

Postby Cacker on Tue Jan 28, 2014 5:46 pm

Cacker
Site Admin
4th floor ponce

Ah .. that's not that old. It's a recent (5-10 years old ?) orthodox painting of St.George and the Dragon. Wifey didn't like it... so it's confined to my den. Now obscured by monitaz :/

Suppose it is a bit poncey. git.
/Chairs

Cacker

Postby larchy on Tue Jan 28, 2014 7:53 pm

larchy
Site Admin
R2 where are you?

steamID: larchy
antispam1: Yes
Also, you live inside a Toblerone

Postby Tonster on Tue Jan 28, 2014 11:01 pm

Tonster

Got a Dell UltraSharp U2713HM instead which runs at 2560x1440. It's a good bit sharper and I got lucky as reviews seem to suggest there's quite a lot of bad ones out there, Dell QA not being up to scratch.

I'll give Calibrize a go on it too though out of the box it was acceptable for basic use at least.

Postby Cacker on Tue Jan 28, 2014 11:17 pm

Cacker
Site Admin
4th floor ponce

larchy wrote:Also, you live inside a Toblerone

Yes .. it is, kind of. New build, 4 facking floors. My office is on the top floor, ie attic room.
/Chairs

Cacker

Postby Klors on Wed Jan 29, 2014 2:40 pm

Klors
Forum Guru

:)

That's a nice res, I started looking at older versions of the 30" 2560x1600 apple monitors on ebay for photo work, but they were just a little too pricey still. There are Yamakasi Pixel-perfect versions S-IPS on there for under 300 quid, but I imagine there'd be import tax on top of that and I still wouldn't trust that they were going to be good panels.
Klors Trofobik

Postby Mr.Blonde on Mon Feb 03, 2014 1:54 pm

Mr.Blonde
Forum Guru
RaNK as they come

steamID: Mr.Blonde
Xbox Live: HailMontezumah
out of int, are there many games that you can play using multiple monitors? I have 2 but only use the 2nd when I'm programming etc.

Return to Technical Support