Postby Twisted on Sun Aug 25, 2013 11:32 am

Twisted
Forum Guru
The Barbarian Genocide

steamID: Litation
Xbox Live: Litation
antispam1: Yes
orientation: Yes
PC has started acting up if playing something heavy duty, at an indeterminable period the monitor will lose signal or just go black the audio will loop/stutter and the fans on the Graphics card will stop and nothing will respond, all other fans will continue to spin (Case/CPU)

My first though was the graphics card was overheating but the usual effect of that is the PC would restart fully plus after looking at the GPU temp/load it sits around 65C with load at 80-100% during most crashes (card idles at around 30 and will happily stay on for weeks on end providing I don't stress it) it also will run happily for hours for some games.
Dishonored/Diablo3 I can play for hours and hours with an occasional crash however Bioshock Infinite/Splintercell Blacklist make it shit a brick in about 30-60 Mins (all games only running at 1680x1050 as every time I try to buy a new monitor I see something else I wan't and I already have three monitors)

My second though was maybe its the PSU its 750W however it is a few years old so might be starting to die.

My final thought was my Mobo Asrock Z77 Extreme6 has on-board graphics that outputs my second/third monitor that I use for coding/browsing/VLC etc.. while the gaming one is connected to my graphics card, however during a crash the other two monitors stay on, or at least keep displaying the last image maybe there was some conflict there.

I've also run Memtest just to check the CPU/Memory for errors and there are none there

Its a pretty low spec (by today's standards)
Radeon 7850 HD GPU
i5-3570 3.4GHz CPU
Asrock Z77 Extreme6 Mobo
16GB RAM
3xSSD (not sure how much power these draw) 2X 120 GB 1x1TB
USB devices - KB/Mouse/Gamepad and that's it for general use.
I also still have a DVD Drive/burner but again I don't think they draw much power and its idle during games anyway.

so any ideas before I start paying for a new PSU (and any recommendations on a decent PSU) I don't really want to chuck out £200 on a PSU and then find the issue is still fekked.

I do have another PSU in another PSU I was thinking of hooking up to the graphics card only and powering it off that with the old paperclip method so it has a dedicated 500W PSU powering it to see it if it still dies but any ideas welcome.
Just because I don't care doesn't mean I don't understand.

Physical rape is psychological Murder.

Re: Graphics Card Crashes??

Postby LSM on Sun Aug 25, 2013 2:14 pm

LSM
Forum Bicycle
Lazy Space Monkey

steamID: LSM
PSN: messele
AKA: Lt. Sex Machine
Twitter: messele
Have you checked the power feed(s) to the card from the PSU are in good order? Unplugging the connectors, checking the terminals then reseating them would be one of things that I would try. Next thing would be the PSU itself as you suggest

I wonder if you can use your spare PSU just for the PCIe power feed, leaving the other one to power everything else.

Postby LSM on Sun Aug 25, 2013 2:21 pm

LSM
Forum Bicycle
Lazy Space Monkey

steamID: LSM
PSN: messele
AKA: Lt. Sex Machine
Twitter: messele

Postby Quinnbeast on Sun Aug 25, 2013 6:46 pm

Quinnbeast
Forum Guru
Internet Hitler says Noooooooo

antispam1: No
You could try something like FurMark (GPU benchmark prog) to see if you can consistently replicate the issue under heavy load. It certainly doesn't sound like it's overheating tho. Also, give Linpack a go (or another CPU benchmark prog - I've not dabbled with these for a while) to run a few cycles on that.

Might be worth a rummage around under Event Viewer / Windows Logs / System to see if the STOP codes give you any info. The last time I had issues with regular crashing, Larch suggested that windows was pointing to either a specific hardware/instability issue or a driver issue, so trial and error is par for the course. Can you swap out your 750W PSU with the 500W for the sake of a quick comparison?

Postby Twisted on Sun Aug 25, 2013 8:44 pm

Twisted
Forum Guru
The Barbarian Genocide

Unfortunately I can't swap it out (to much cabling and messing about) but I can hook it up just to the graphics card and see if it still bombs. Paperclip on pins 14 and 15 on the ATX Mobo connector start it up without it being attached to a Mobo so It shouldn't be to much...but for the sake of £70 I might just buy the one LSM suggested anyway and if it still fails RMA the card!.
Edit - Also nowt in the eventvwr really other than "Previous shut down was not clean" well no shit PC you basically shit a brick!!!

Postby Twisted on Mon Aug 26, 2013 10:52 am

Twisted
Forum Guru
The Barbarian Genocide

Nope defiantly not power unless its something to do with the mobo..although I can't see what unless the PCIe slot is knackered.

Attached a dedicated 450W PSU to the graphics card and played fine for 30 mins then bombed out again. Going to just RMA the card I think.

Return to Technical Support