steamID: Sixxor
PSN: Sixxor
Xbox Live: Sixxor
AKA: Sixxor/Sixxor666
Twitter: @DonkeyBadger
antispam1: Yes
orientation: No
Battle.Net ID: Sixxor#2147
Been running a Crucial M4 128gb SSD in my PC for the last 2 years. Recently it died (BSODs all over the place, fresh installed, still BSODs), so I replaced it with a normal drive temporarily.
This is painfully slow though so I decided to get a new SSD, after reading some reviews I went for a Corsair Neutron 256gb, but it seems there's either something wrong with it or I'm missing something.

I first tried using Acronis True Image to take an image of the system drive, boot into the TI rescue media and restore this image to the new SSD, this seemed to go ok as it booted fine, but then whilst using it it started to randomly freeze for up to 5 minutes at a time. This is a total lockup, PC completely unresponsive until it eventually recovers, but it does this frequently so it's essentially unusable.
So next I tried a full clean install of Windows 7 to the SSD, but this exhibits the same behaviour - even during the install of Windows it would freeze for minutes at a time, and was just the same once Windows had loaded up. Sometimes it would be fine though, booting in seconds and responding fine within Windows for up to half an hour before starting with the freezes again.

I've returned to the normal (super slow!) drive for now, but can anyone offer any advice on things to try before I arrange for an RMA and get the SSD replaced as faulty?

Rest of system specs are:

Asus P5Q-E motherboard.
Core 2 Due E8400 CPU.
8gb RAM.
Radeon HD7850 GPU.
2 other conventional HDDs (one 500gb, one 650gb).

Like I said I've already been running an SSD in this system for 2 years so it seems unlikely to be a compatibility issue.
Cheers.

Re: SSD Woes

Postby Quinnbeast on Mon Jun 10, 2013 7:04 pm

Quinnbeast
Forum Guru
Internet Hitler says Noooooooo

antispam1: No
orientation: Yes
Have you tried popping the CMOS battery out in case you've got some old BIOS settings that are playing havoc? New BIOS/Chipset drivers worth a punt?

Postby Mister666 on Mon Jun 10, 2013 8:01 pm

Mister666
Forum Guru
tabard

Worth a try. Also from what I've been reading it might also be worth changing to AHCI in the BIOS for this new drive. the old one worked fine on IDE, but hey go I'll give it a whirl!

Postby Quinnbeast on Mon Jun 10, 2013 9:14 pm

Quinnbeast
Forum Guru
Internet Hitler says Noooooooo

antispam1: No
orientation: Yes
Aye, that's definitely worth a punt if you're going to run through a fresh install. I've got both of mine (Sammy 840 Pro for the main PC & Mega-Cheap SanDisk thingy for a media box) on AHCI and would always start with that over IDE mode.

Postby Mister666 on Mon Jun 10, 2013 10:27 pm

Mister666
Forum Guru
tabard

Well shit, it seems like switching to AHCI was all it needed.

Once I'd changed the reg key and the BIOS entry for it, booted from Windows disc and ran a fresh install, it worked like a charm, super fast for the whole install, no freezing and worked fine for an hour afterwards.

So I've now gone back to my original plan of restoring the image of my OS drive to the SSD using True Image and that's worked fine, too!

Strange that my old Crucial M4 ran happily on IDE for just over 2 years yet this Corsair Neutron only likes AHCI. I guess the M4 was older tech and newer drives like the Neutron need the more modern AHCI or something.

Postby Pers on Wed Jun 26, 2013 2:00 pm

Pers
Forum Guru
picacity personnified.

Hey mate, just out of interest have you ran a firmware update on the M4? My parent's M4 started having all sort of problems, blue screens and lock ups. Ran a firmware update and sorted it.

Postby Mister666 on Sat Jun 29, 2013 8:02 pm

Mister666
Forum Guru
tabard

I tried to yeah, but the update utility wouldn't even detect the drive. Even though it shows up in Windows, when the utility reboots into its bootloader, it says there are no eligible drives in the system.

Return to Technical Support