PC spec

Help! It's the hair-bear bunch!

Moderator: larchy

PC spec

Postby afcpaul on Mon Feb 11, 2013 9:40 am

afcpaul
Forum Regular
Forum Title Goes Here

My son is looking to purchase a new pc and asked me about the specification - As I have no idea at all, but wanted to sound as if I knew what I was talking about, anyone have any views on the spec below? - He is looking to spend between £750-£800

PU: 2085 - NEW! Intel Core i5 3570K
CPU Overclocking: oc43 - 4.3Ghz - Moderate Overclock
CPU Cooler: 3015 - Xigmatek Loki SDS963
Motherboard: 4164 - NEW! Asus P8Z77-V LX2
RAM: 5041 - 8GB Corsair 1600mhz Vengeance (2x4GB)
Hard Drive: 6029 - 2TB S-ATAIII 6.0Gb/s
Additional Storage: 6034 - Corsair 120GB Force3 SSD S-ATAIII 6.0Gb/s
Optical Drive: 7003 - 22x DVD±RW DL S-ATA
Graphics card: 8087 - NEW! NVIDIA GeForce GTX 660 2GB
Sound card: 10001 - Onboard 7.1 Audio
Case: 17044 - NEW! Zalman Z11 Plus
PSU: 18033 - 500W Xigmatek
Warranty: sc-1 - 3 Year SureCare Warranty

Gaming pc

Cheers for help
Last edited by afcpaul on Mon Feb 11, 2013 7:38 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Re: PC spec

Postby DrKazza on Mon Feb 11, 2013 9:51 am

DrKazza
Pinball Wizard

steamID: DrKazza
antispam1: No
orientation: Yes
I'm not up to date on good stuff right now but have a read here:
http://www.tomshardware.com/reviews/bui ... ,3366.html
http://www.tomshardware.com/reviews/bui ... ,3363.html

good luck

Kaz
That's The REVEREND Dr. Kazza to you.

Postby Mr.Blonde on Mon Feb 11, 2013 12:37 pm

Mr.Blonde
Forum Guru
RaNK as they come

steamID: Mr.Blonde
Xbox Live: HailMontezumah
based on what Larchy told me in a very similar recent thread, sounds like you might want to look into a 660Ti for your GFX. Aside from that the build looks pretty similar to what I've ended up with (and am very pleased with). I also know Larch recommends the Samsung 830 SSDs, the pros if costs allow. But no doubt he'll be along in a moment and he knows waaaaay more than me.

Oh and maybe worth getting a BD-RW drive for your optical? They're super cheap now (can't imagine the cost increase would be more than a tenner) and means he could watch a blu-ray on there if he ever wanted to.

Postby Quinnbeast on Mon Feb 11, 2013 9:07 pm

Quinnbeast
Forum Guru
Internet Hitler says Noooooooo

antispam1: No
The Samsung 840 Basic and Pro SSDs get excellent write-ups in general. I went with a 250GB Pro model as a reasonable trade-off between speed/size/price. The Pros are silly-quick with excellent warranty. As Larch mentioned elsewhere though, any reasonable SSD will blow the socks off a regular drive.

The GTX 660 is perfectly fine for 1080p gaming, but the 660Ti seems to clinch it for bang-vs-buck ratio. That said, the ATI 7950 is coming down to price levels similar to the 660Ti. The 7950 goes for a more brute-force approach, and so is more power hungry and runs a bit hotter. It also deals with the silly-high resolutions (2580x1600) a quirt faster overall, but that's probably not relevant. I've been in the ATI camp for as long as I've been buying my own PC gear... and bought an Nvidia Asus 660Ti this time around. Really good cooler on it, inaudible when idle.

That case is as ugly as sin by the way, but then I won't be looking at it!

CPU/Ram/Mobo are all fine.

I don't know squat about Xigmatek gear. The CPU cooler could well be fine, but a £35 PSU in an overclocked i5/660 setup would make my teeth itch a little bit. Seasonic PSUs are £50 for their 380W jobbies, so I'd expect to pay £60+ for a decent 500W+ model.

Postby larchy on Mon Feb 11, 2013 9:20 pm

larchy
Site Admin
R2 where are you?

steamID: larchy
antispam1: Yes
The thing with SSDs really is... so long as you have one. They're now cheap enough to be a no brainer as the difference is night and day.

The Force 3 is a mid-rangy sandforce drive that stacks up pretty well. So far as it goes against the 830 there's not really much one way or the other. The Samsung would probably win out, but not so that you'd notice in everyday use. Both have big wins in various benchmarks but there's not really going to be any way you personally are going to know if 4k random iops or 512kb sequential writes are more important to you. My personal preference would be for the Samsung because I think the controller offers better characteristics than a sandforce based solution, but Corsair is a solid brand and the drive is decent so it really doesn't matter all that much.

You could plump for a 660Ti; it depends what resolution you're gaming at really. FPS is a totally pointless measure at this point, but even the 660 can sustain very low frame latencies at reasonably high resolutions and settings. The Ti might be worth it if you have monitor with decent resolution, or you game with multiple displays; 2560x1440 or similar. Anything as low as 1080p even the 660 is more than enough. I'd certainly stay away from any current Radeons given he current broken driver memory management for GCN which AMD are in the process of hurriedly rewriting; the frame latency spikes are appalling.

Overclocking... ffs it's 2013 and you're buying Ivy Bridge. Do they still sell oxygenated stereo cables and led heatsinks?

Xigmatek PSU's are made by andyson, who do a lot of rebadged stuff for the likes of Inwin. I've never really had any experience with their products. From what I can gather the PSU will be adequate and run of the mill, so will probably be fine. As has been noted though, it still amazes me that people feel comfortable plugging their shiny £800+ purchases of sensitive electronics into something with UK retail of £35 - so that's what, about £6 VAT, £10 retail profit, £5 rebadge profit, £3 mfg profit, £4 shipping, £1 packaging? roughly? So you're strapping all your advanced electronics into something that cost around a fiver to slap together. And then overclocking it?!?! Good grief.

I'm also glad that the motherboard and CPU are NEW! That's reassuring. Is everything else second hand?

Why aren't they using the Intel CPU cooler that comes packaged with all correctly packaged Intel CPUs? I suppose it's always nice to sell people something extra that they don't need, especially if you obtained the CPUs on the grey market so they didn't come with the manufacturer's cooler. Or warranty. Or, usually, the correct markings or product model. But hey, it has LEVEL 3 OVERCLOCK POWAH so what do factory determined clocks matter.. er... yeah.

Postby afcpaul on Tue Feb 12, 2013 7:19 am

afcpaul
Forum Regular
Forum Title Goes Here

Thank you everyone for your comments and advice, I appreciate you taking the time to read and reply.

Now to try and advise my son and sound knowledgeable without cutting & pasting :)

Return to Technical Support