Business Laptop

Help! It's the hair-bear bunch!

Moderator: larchy

Business Laptop

Postby sacs on Wed Jan 30, 2013 7:30 pm

sacs
Forum Regular
Brimful of Baby Batter

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Toshiba-R840-17R-Notebook-Processor-Professional/dp/B007E8XULC

Cheers guys btw for helping me with this. But my Dad is thinking about getting this laptop for his business, he mainly uses it for emails and browsing the internet. Just wondering if it is good value for money, or if anyone can recommend a different laptop?

Thanks guys!

(also: Surface Pro not looking too bad!)

Re: Business Laptop

Postby larchy on Wed Jan 30, 2013 7:40 pm

larchy
Site Admin
R2 where are you?

steamID: larchy
antispam1: Yes
orientation: Yes
If all he is using it for is web browsing and emails then a 200 quid chromebook can do that. Is there any particular reason for the massive overkill for such simple tasks? Is the 14" form factor a requirement? Even getting something better than a chromebook with a bit of punch to it for these tasks should be costing you an awful lot less. Depends what you want really.

Surface Pro.... hmmm... a lot of question marks there tbh. 23GB free space out of a 64GB SSD and no battery life specs 2 weeks before launch?

Postby sacs on Wed Jan 30, 2013 9:11 pm

sacs
Forum Regular
Brimful of Baby Batter

Cheers Larchy

He needs outlook as it has all his contacts, email accounts, he scans and prints a few 100s pages at a time, and stores photos. I guess he is just after a laptop with a little bit of umph for comfort and longevity.

(surface pro for me that is, my current laptop is dying a slow death ATM)

Postby LSM on Wed Jan 30, 2013 10:08 pm

LSM
Forum Bicycle
Lazy Space Monkey

steamID: LSM
PSN: messele
AKA: Lt. Sex Machine
Twitter: messele
The one thing worth paying extra for with that Tosh is the fact it has Win7, or more accurately it doesn't have Win8. It's THAT bad it's worth paying not to have it.

If its used for business or personal data avoid Chrome like scabies, data privacy is not to be sniffed at.

Windows Surface Pro has less than 5 hours battery life and is massively overpriced for what is conceptually a mess.

Postby larchy on Thu Jan 31, 2013 3:35 pm

larchy
Site Admin
R2 where are you?

http://www.ebuyer.com/414143-samsung-35 ... 0v5c-a07uk

^^ the CPU is lower than the toshiba, but it's still a more than powerful enough i5.

It has a alrger 15.6" screen.

The rest of the specs are the same more or less (though the samsung has the newer Intel graphics too).

It is £320 cheaper.

therefore I would conclude that the Toshiba is not particularly good value.

If you want Windows 7 then there's this one which has a bit less RAM (not that that will make any difference whatsoever) and costs a bit more. Or you could, y'know, just install W7/whatever on whatever you buy if you have a spare licence. Then again, if he's going to be keeping up to date with office he'll lose a lot of the integration with W8 in the new versions.

There's dearer options with more storage capacity if you need it, but really hasn't he joined the cloud yet? The best thing you can do to make any craptop actually usable is rip out the god-awful 5400rpm drive and chuck an SSD in.

There's even dearer options with actual GPUs, but doesn't sound like he needs any of those.

Needing outlook is fairly irrelevant to whatever hardware you buy. Just install it. MS are keen for Office 2013 purchases to be on a subscription model, but you can still buy the standard one-off version a bit cheaper these days, what with all the competition)

Postby sacs on Fri Feb 01, 2013 12:40 am

sacs
Forum Regular
Brimful of Baby Batter

Thanks larchy and LSM, if we ever meet up drinks on me ;p

That one larchy: http://www.ebuyer.com/414143-samsung-35 ... 0v5c-a07uk looks amazing, but he is also interested in size and weight as well as speed. The Samsung weighs 2.5kg, 0.5 KG more than the Toshiba. Hes getting older and doesn't want anything too heavy to carry around with him.

How does this one look: http://www.ebuyer.com/411502-samsung-530u3c-laptop-np530u3c-a03uk ? Though I am a little worried that the screen might be too small for him, will ask tomorrow.

Postby larchy on Fri Feb 01, 2013 8:14 am

larchy
Site Admin
R2 where are you?

You're really looking at 'ultrabooks' then. Be aware that the CPU's in those are slower than the cheaper ones as they're the low voltage/low power versions. That Samsung you link to has the 'i5-3317U', the 'U' indicating it's the ULV (ultra low votlage) part. Still absolutely fine for what you describe his usage pattern as being. The quoted clock speed is a bit pointless really as they idle at much lower speeds, and 'turbo' up much higher into the 2GHz+ range. The battery life/weight is better with them obviously, which is what you pay more for.

There's this with 15.6" at 2.15kg

Or this with 13.3" at 1.35kg

I'd personally be a bit wary of Acer's build quality though. Have a look at that page (and ultrabooks on other sites) and see what you fancy. That Samsung, though no doubt a good laptop, seems a little pricey.

The ASUS ones are generally very solid; not without the odd niggle (like everything) but generally very good.

[edit: Oh, wait, the samsung has an SSD. Yes, get that provided the screen is ok for him and he is ok with the storage space.)

Postby larchy on Fri Feb 01, 2013 9:18 pm

larchy
Site Admin
R2 where are you?

larchy wrote:Or you could, y'know, just install W7/whatever on whatever you buy...

...unless it's linux on a Samsung Win8 laptop...

Postby LSM on Fri Feb 01, 2013 9:42 pm

LSM
Forum Bicycle
Lazy Space Monkey

Infinite Monkey Theorem.

Postby sacs on Mon Feb 04, 2013 9:27 pm

sacs
Forum Regular
Brimful of Baby Batter

Cheers Larchy,

Looks like he is after a screen bigger than 14.9 inches and lighter than 2 Kg. He doesn't want to carry anything heavier than what he has atm around the US.

Is Acer something to keep away from then? The only non-acer laptap on that website with a 15 inch screen is this laptop: http://www.ebuyer.com/350095-samsung-90 ... 0x4c-a01uk

Which to be fair is perfect just a bit too expensive. He was looking to spend £800 and that is £1,000, he would save £200 in corporation tax by buying it though so I will suggest it to him if the Acers are poor.

Postby LSM on Mon Feb 04, 2013 9:38 pm

LSM
Forum Bicycle
Lazy Space Monkey

You'd have to be batshit crazy to drop that kind of money on the Samsung. You are talking about MacBook Air price territory there.

Btw, presumably your old man would be claiming VAT back too, so that 20% corp. tax becomes a net discount of 36% with the 20% VAT.

Or to put it another way a net spend of £800 on a machine gives you a real budget of £1250 inc. VAT to play with.

Postby larchy on Mon Feb 04, 2013 10:00 pm

larchy
Site Admin
R2 where are you?

There's nothing wrong with Acer, they just often tend to be a bit poorer in terms of build quality so they probably aren't an ideal first choice unless the price is the main factor; there's nothing intrinsically bad about them though and they make some good products.

<2Kg is most likely going to be ultrabook territory; everything else is going to be 2 - 2.5Kg in a 15.6"

Because 'ultrabooks' are targetted at being super-light, they generally don't have the weight budget for a larger screen and additional battery to keep it powered, so the options aren't great anywhere you look: http://www.ebuyer.com/409882-samsung-30 ... 0e5c-s02uk

Postby sacs on Thu Feb 07, 2013 2:00 pm

sacs
Forum Regular
Brimful of Baby Batter

Unfortunately not LSM, most of his turnover is outside the EU and exempt so he doesn't hit the VAT threshold. His purchases are so small its is not worth him registering for VAT to claim anything back.

Cheers Larchy, I have sent him that laptop it fulfils pretty much everything he wants plus has Windows 7 installed. His current laptop is a shocker and he is still using vista, any modern laptop is going to feel amazing to him ;/

Edit: O and it has a RJ45 socket which he needed as well, apparently wireless in USA hotels is very poor sometimes and you have to plug directly in.

Return to Technical Support