I always said my dad had poor memory...

Postby Tonster on Sat Jan 12, 2013 12:34 pm

Tonster
Not Twisted, Toothpick or Tuff

steamID: MartianLM
antispam1: No
orientation: Yes
Battle.Net ID: MartianLM#2136
Specifically Corsair Dominator CMP6GX3M3A1600C7 (3 x 2GB currently fitted).

He wants 2 double it but xxxC7 is rarer than hen's teeth, or a stupid price from Corsair themselves. There was some on Ebay for £45 but I missed it. Anyway just wondering if xxxC8 was compatible as it's far cheaper and widely available? I have no idea what you need to look for when matching RAM other than getting completely identical chips. Any idea if C7 and C8 are compatible?

In case you're wondering what he needs silly amount of RAM for, he's a MS Flight Sim fanboy and has masses of hi rez texture packs etc.

Re: I always said my dad had poor memory...

Postby larchy on Mon Jan 14, 2013 9:59 am

larchy
Site Admin
R2 where are you?

steamID: larchy
antispam1: Yes
The difference between those two is the latency timings. the C7 ones are slightly faster. All that will happen if you install the others is that the BIOS will relax the timings to that of the slowest installed modules, so the C7s will end up running at the same timings as the c8s. Any performance change will be insignificant.

Does he have one of the first gen nehalem architectures? Can't think what else consumer grade system has a triple channel controller these days. With 6 slots fully loaded it's likely that the board would relax the timings anyway due to the load on the controller.

If you want to keep the modules all identical a 3 module 12GB kit isn't very dear - http://www.ebuyer.com/274408-corsair-12 ... 3m3a1600c9

And you could just grab 3 8GB modules for not much more - http://www.ebuyer.com/274035-corsair-8g ... 3m2a1600c9

Those run at CAS 9 - no point paying a price premium for CAS timings tbh - http://www.anandtech.com/show/4503/sand ... est-ddr3/6

(article looks at Sandy, but tbh it's been the same story for the last decade with any architecture. CAS timings are used by RAM mfgs to differentiate product and upsell, but in reality it makes bugger all difference to the end user beyond the pain on the wallet).

AnandTech wrote:Finally, although the effects of low latency memory can be seen in our bandwidth tests, they don't show any real world advantage over their higher latency (ahem, cheaper) counterparts. None of the real-world tests performed showed any reason to prefer low latency over raw speed.

Postby Tonster on Mon Jan 14, 2013 10:48 am

Tonster

Thanks as ever dude!
If you want to keep the modules all identical a 3 module 12GB kit isn't very dear

I was just coming here to post that he went and bought a whole new 12GB of Crucial RAM over the weekend.
you could just grab 3 8GB modules

24GB! Does anyone really need that much? I thought 12 sounded excessive.

Postby Cacker on Mon Jan 14, 2013 11:15 am

Cacker
Site Admin
4th floor ponce

steamID: Cacker
PSN: Cacker67
Shouldn't be a problem. Anything ordered over the internet has a 14 day cool off period where you can send your item back for absolutely any reason, excluding 'don like it .. I wont that one'.

Just get him to confirm it's return then order the other one.

There are a couple of applications that will use it, I believe adobe photo/video editing are prime examples. plus, I believe you can create ram drives for certain applications to speed them up, if you've the inclination to set something like that up.
/Chairs

Cacker

Postby larchy on Mon Jan 14, 2013 6:30 pm

larchy
Site Admin
R2 where are you?

7 working days from receipt of the goods

More RAM is generally placebo; about the only thing that makes use of large amounts will be realtime video editing.

Most people don't realise that the vast majority of apps, certainly including the elderly Ms Flight Sim, are 32bit apps that only support 32bit addressing (ie can only address up to 4GB RAM, and for various arcane reasons this is generally limited in Windows to 2GB per app). Even on 64bit windows where the OS can address > 4GB a 32bit app itself can't, so you need a 64bit executable or use the 4GB patcher that works with most game executables.

A SSD will be a much better use of any upgrade money.

Postby Cacker on Tue Jan 15, 2013 1:55 am

Cacker
Site Admin
4th floor ponce

steamID: Cacker
PSN: Cacker67
Yes.

There's a little hack you can do I believe, to starve the OS of it's 2 GB, so you can switch it to 1 GB for the OS and 3 GB for apps, but that's just being silly. there are still very few 64-bit programs that's true.

I do wonder though, do graphics card take their shared memory from the > 4 GB memory pages or do they stupidly fight for the same 2 GB pool as well ?
/Chairs

Cacker

Postby larchy on Tue Jan 15, 2013 9:26 am

larchy
Site Admin
R2 where are you?

Graphics RAM doesn't occupy the same address space as RAM seen by the CPU, so you won't get a 1:1 reduction in system addressable RAM. You will get a reduction due to the mapping of certain parts of the graphics RAM, but the entire physical space won't be mapped. For this reason a 1GB card may remove, say, 256MB from the CPU's address space. The actual GPU RAM is mapped to the OS virtual space rather than the system's physical space. A 32bit windows OS will be using PAE for 36bit addressing which gives it the virtual address headroom to handle things over the 4GB space.

Postby Tonster on Tue Jan 15, 2013 10:31 am

Tonster

larchy wrote:A SSD will be a much better use of any upgrade money.

Yeah, this was the first thing I suggested to him, his problem is the cost. He needs to load 500GB of hi rez texture files to it alone, not even including the planes and the game, so it makes the cost prohibitive.

I believe MS Flight Simulator is a defunct piece of software but the mod community have kept it alive long after its demise, it's possible it now addresses the 32/64 bit issue you mention. He also has other more modern flight sims (it's the only thing he plays) that may well be 64bit. All the advice he gets is from the game enthusiasts forums and I would expect the type of people playing these games to be more informed than your average brainless gamer.

Postby larchy on Tue Jan 15, 2013 12:57 pm

larchy
Site Admin
R2 where are you?

Yeah, those communities are usually pretty good with their advice and sorting known mods/issues.

I did wonder if the install size might prevent an SDD being a reasonable solution. I was going to suggest the hybrid Seagate Momentus as a possible good solution, but then thinking about it it's just got an 8GB cache which I'd imagine wouldn't be much help with his particular usage.

Postby Squigg on Tue Jan 15, 2013 1:47 pm

Squigg
Forum Guru
Capitalist pigdog

steamID: squigg
Could always get an SSD and soft link some of the MS flight sim dirs / files to it rather than have to use it as the sole install path. Even if you could only get 200GB of the most commonly used texture files on there it would have a significant impact on performance.

Return to Technical Support