Windows backup bloating?

Postby Tonster on Fri Nov 16, 2012 10:19 am

Tonster
Not Twisted, Toothpick or Tuff

steamID: MartianLM
antispam1: No
orientation: Yes
Battle.Net ID: MartianLM#2136
I have a 1TB external HDD I use for backing up my main 1.5TB internal HDD periodically. I've only done it a few times and this time hit a problem when the backup file was too big for the external drive. However when I examine the contents of the folders I'm backing up it comes to 250GB... and Windows Backup is trying to create a 1.5TB backup! o_O

WTF?

I've only got 6 folders selected for backup totalling less than 1/3 of used space. How does 250GB become 1.5TB in Windows Backup? Is it coincidental this is the same size as main HDD even though I've only selected my photos, videos and that sort of general gubbins?

Anyway this time I've just copied the files over straight instead of using Windows backup as I've had to select so few folders to make it fit..well, it did fit anyway.

Re: Windows backup bloating?

Postby Cacker on Fri Nov 16, 2012 12:47 pm

Cacker
Site Admin
4th floor ponce

steamID: Cacker
PSN: Cacker67
Sounds like it's keeping incremental versions of files perhaps ? Or probably, the most plausible explanation, is that it's screwed. I'd create a brand new clean backup and dump the rest.
/Chairs

Cacker

Postby Tonster on Fri Nov 16, 2012 1:33 pm

Tonster

This is when creating a completely new backup.

I think.

Hmm.

At least I deleted the old backup file off the external drive first...

Postby larchy on Fri Nov 16, 2012 10:06 pm

larchy
Site Admin
R2 where are you?

steamID: larchy
antispam1: Yes
It creates a backup of all files in each user's library, so if you have a single 2GB file that is in the library of 2 different user accounts your normal drive will have the file once and the backup will have two copies. Repeat for as many user accounts as you have.

There may also be shadow copies depending on your windows version.

Postby Tonster on Fri Nov 16, 2012 10:36 pm

Tonster

larchy wrote:It creates a backup of all files in each user's library, so if you have a single 2GB file that is in the library of 2 different user accounts your normal drive will have the file once and the backup will have two copies. Repeat for as many user accounts as you have.

There may also be shadow copies depending on your windows version.

Only 1 user account. Win7 latest patch.

Got home and have checked it's not backing up anything except the half dozen basic file folders totalling 250GB. Still saying the backup is 1.5TB :|

It doesn't really matter I guess, I just copied the folders over instead, but I had been hoping to do a complete system backup as I haven't used 1TB so there should be space on the external drive for a complete backup of everything. I've done this before, but this was when I had fewer files, now I think about it the backup was still significantly bloated vs the actual disc space used on the internal HDD.

Return to Technical Support