120GB Corsair SSD Sandforce on offer, also those 1TB Greenpowers have a bit off

Re: Desktop PC - is this terminal?

Postby DrKazza on Tue Feb 21, 2012 9:20 am

DrKazza
Pinball Wizard

steamID: DrKazza
antispam1: No
orientation: Yes
By the way... sorry Jhartelt... I missed your comment. I'm not sure about the life of SSDs, in fact most people aren't too sure as they've not been around long enough to really give a long term representation of their reliability. But I do think that this should be a moot point if the SSD is only for your OS and Diablo3 and anything you need to keep goes on a normal mechanical drive which is backed up regularly.

I've got 3 ssds, and aside from an OCZ one that was fked when I bought it, all of them have been perfectly reliable
That's The REVEREND Dr. Kazza to you.

Postby feign on Wed Feb 22, 2012 12:10 am

feign
Forum Bicycle
left then right and twist 2, 3

Ok, back unexpectedly tonight, so checked battery, and all still dead after popping it out for 2 mins.

So have ordered this all on ebuyer:

Intel Core i5 2500K 3.3GHz Socket 1155 6MB Cache Retail Boxed Processor 408 in stock £171.77
Asus P8H67 R3 H67 Socket 1155 8 Channel HD Audio ATX Motherboard 117 in stock £82.44
Crucial 8GB (2x4GB) DDR3 1600Mhz Ballistix Sport Memory Kit CL9 (9-9-9-24) 125 in stock £29.00
Microsoft Windows 7 Home Premium w/SP1 - Licence and media - 1 PC - OEM - DVD - 64-bit £70.76
Crucial 128GB 2.5" M4 SSD SATA-III 6Gb/s - Read 415MB/s Write 175MB/s 94 in stock £129.9

coming to £492 including delivery to get it here for Friday.

I decided to leave the standard hdd for now and we'll see how that goes.

So if all goes to plan, I should be assembling, or not, over the weekend.

Postby Cacker on Wed Feb 22, 2012 1:36 am

Cacker
Site Admin
4th floor ponce

steamID: Cacker
PSN: Cacker67
H67 chipset is old now by comparison isn't it ? .. you should be able to get a Z or X chipset for your i5
/Chairs

Cacker

Postby feign on Wed Feb 22, 2012 10:28 am

feign
Forum Bicycle

Cacker wrote:H67 chipset is old now by comparison isn't it ? .. you should be able to get a Z or X chipset for your i5

My order on ebuyer is currently only showing "allocated", so I guess I may be able to swap. I'm less worried about being absolutely bleeding edge tech - given it's replacing a 5 year old mobo/cpu - and more that it's stable/etc. Anyhow, if I should look to see if I can swap in a different mobo, recommend me up with a ebuyer link pls!

It's now "on pick" so possibly too late!

Postby larchy on Thu Feb 23, 2012 7:30 am

larchy
Site Admin
R2 where are you?

steamID: larchy
antispam1: Yes
H67 and P67 are the same age. H67 allows use of sandy's IGP, whereas P67 does not. While that board has no video outputs as it is more of an enthusiast oriented board, the H67 will allow you to use Quicksync if you install Lucid's virtu whereas you can't on P67. P67 gives you more scope for playing with multipliers and clock speeds, but as you're not going to be oc'ing I thought the H67 was the better choice for you.

Z68 is slightly newer and simply combines the features of both of the above. However the outputs on the equivalent Z68 board include a bunch of IGP video connectors which you aren't going to be using, so I thought the extra USBs and whatnot would be more preferable for you. Z68 does allow SSD caching too, but I don't think that's going to be something you're gonna be setting up or wanting.

There's always this if you want though.

Postby feign on Thu Feb 23, 2012 12:10 pm

feign
Forum Bicycle

Your guesses are 100% right on the money.

I'd rather have access to the on-board IGP, in case for some reason the 6870 is borked, so I can start with something. and I' more likely to use USB's than anything else.

Delivery is slated for sometime today, so no worries.

One simple question, does it makes sense to do the assembly without the 6870, so that it's all as simple as possible initially?

Postby DrKazza on Thu Feb 23, 2012 12:39 pm

DrKazza
Pinball Wizard

not really... you'll know instantly if the 6870 is fkd because it won't display anything but it will post (POST = Power on self test, so you're likely to hear fans whirr up and maybe a beep)

put everything in carefully and you'll be fine. Since this is your first real build I'd give yourself 3 hours start to finish... and that includes the windows install which will take about 5 minutes on an SSD! :D:D:D

p.s. the easiest (and potentially most damaging) thing to forget is to plug in the CPU Fan... you do all the hard work, fit the heatsink etc etc and then forget to plug in the fan.

Use tonight to read the manual and then go for it on friday.
The wife is away for a few days so feel free to call any time on friday/sat/sunday. I've sent you a text in case you don't have my number

Postby DrKazza on Fri Feb 24, 2012 11:55 am

DrKazza
Pinball Wizard

:tumbleweed:

Postby feign on Fri Feb 24, 2012 2:57 pm

feign
Forum Bicycle

DrKazza wrote::tumbleweed:

Had to work all last night, so will be doing things in this order tonight:

1) reading mobo manual, twice
2) Emptying current case - I guess I am better to take out the power supply/cd-roms/etc, to better remove dust.
3) fit new items, in the sequence outlined by your listing from earlier
4) pray.
5) Search for both your and Larchy's number to resolve problems...

There's a significant chance I don't move past 2 tonight, we'll see. I'd rather get it all done tonight, but I'm not in total control of my agenda at home.

Postby DrKazza on Fri Feb 24, 2012 3:50 pm

DrKazza
Pinball Wizard

yeah best to clear out all the old stuff, give it a quick blow/dust and put it back in.

three last things

If i were you i'd put in the DVD and PSU and possibly the drives before you mount the motherboard (oo-er) just because some cases are designed badly and it makes putting them in afterwards awkward.

Unplug the PSU from the mains for a good 10 mins before fiddling... some of the cheaper ones hold charge for a LOOOOONG time and have been known to deliver a bigfuckoff shock

if you are dusting the case, remember about touching a radiator to earth yourself afterwards... using a dusting cloth or a hoover is a good way of generating static accidentally.

Postby feign on Sun Feb 26, 2012 12:52 am

feign
Forum Bicycle

PC up and running.
Cheers to both Kaz and Larchy for the help here and by phone!

Sad really that the only difficulty that I had was down to how well Larchy had built the original rig 5 years ago, in that the cable runs were tied up without slack!

Postby DrKazza on Mon Feb 27, 2012 8:57 am

DrKazza
Pinball Wizard

sorry fagin....

http://www.mmo-champion.com/content/

you need to remove the 64 bit client when the patch hits... the support article tells you which files to remove

Kaz

Postby feign on Mon Feb 27, 2012 5:06 pm

feign
Forum Bicycle

No worries mate, I'd read that I shouldn't apply the 64bit client patch until I had the whole of 4.3.2 downloaded and as I was still about 6gb off the download completing when I left for work this morning - due to the downloader falling over 2 nights in a row - I'd not gotten around to moving to 64 bit anyway.

Previous

Return to Technical Support