ParaSitius
Forum Guru
Optimistic Pederast

steamID: ParaSitius
Xbox Live: ParaSytius
AKA: Para
antispam1: No
orientation: Yes
Someone I knows on the intornetty is selling his 1 year old PC, as I'm am quite the useless mug that can't haggle if my life depended on it I thought I would ask you guys if the following spec is worth the £600 he's initially asked for.

Intel Core i7 950 3.06GHz (Bloomfield) (199)
Asus X58 Sabertooth TUF Intel X58 (Socket 1366) DDR3 Motherboard (163)
Corsair XMS3 6GB (3x2GB) DDR3 PC3-12800C9 1600MHz Triple Channel (60)
Asus 1024MB GDDR5 ATI Radeon HD5850 Dual DVI HDMI (220)
Antec P180 Silver Aluminium Super Miditower Case (80)
Corsair HX 650W ATX Modular SLI Compliant Power Supply (85)

The bracketed numbers are the current retail costs (apparently, I've not checked) and he's totalled up the bits to be just over £800 worth of kit in today's market. His initial £600 will also include the P&P, if the total he says is too much then what sort of figure do you guys think I should be aiming for?

No hdd's included as I've got enough to keep me going.

Any help would be much appreciated.

Re: How much would you pay for this setup?

Postby Quinnbeast on Mon Feb 06, 2012 8:53 pm

Quinnbeast
Forum Guru
Internet Hitler says Noooooooo

Some of his prices are a bit suspect in my book. The 5850 is now two generations old, so hasn't been in stock with most retailers for a while. To call £220 "current" is hard to justify if there aren't any to be had new. The 6870 is as close to a like-for-like replacement as you'll get, a bit newer and a squirt faster, and can be had for £140 atm. Some of the considerably shinier 6950 cards can be had for under £200 (Scan and E-buyer).

You can get a i5 2500K for £170 on Scan, which is similar (slightly quicker, looking at the Anandtech bench).

In other words, you could buy the same sort of performance new for the same price, except with fresh warranty on all of it. Or spend a little bit more and get a noticeably faster GPU. So, a little over-priced for my liking.

Postby Squigg on Mon Feb 06, 2012 10:03 pm

Squigg
Forum Guru
Capitalist pigdog

steamID: squigg
Agreed sounds overpriced. You'd be buying into old technology as well as the X58 chipset and mobo won't be compatible with all the new shiny Ivy Bridge stuff - limited upgrade options.

Postby feign on Mon Feb 06, 2012 10:23 pm

feign
Forum Bicycle
left then right and twist 2, 3

As quinn said, the 6870 beats the 5850 on every count, as well as being a generation newer, and is ~£150 - http://www.hwcompare.com/6024/radeon-hd ... n-hd-6870/

And I'd suggest that it holds true for most of the rest of the gear also.

Given he's going to be mailing it to you, you're getting no support outside warranty, so I'd suggest that he's possibly 100-200 too high. The issue being that he'll probably get someone to pay that amount for it.

For you to be buying gear >a year old and out of warranty, you should be getting a good deal, and right now, irrespective of what he paid for it, you're not, because as said he's pricing on end of run exact replica prices, not comparable "best in class" level, for today's generation where all the price competition is.

Postby ParaSitius on Tue Feb 07, 2012 5:01 pm

ParaSitius
Forum Guru
Optimistic Pederast

steamID: ParaSitius
Xbox Live: ParaSytius
AKA: Para
Appreciate the words of advice.

Return to Technical Support