Wireless to ethernet bridge/adapter/thingie for xbox 360

Help! It's the hair-bear bunch!

Moderator: larchy

Wireless to ethernet bridge/adapter/thingie for xbox 360

Postby Kiwi on Thu Jan 26, 2012 10:21 am

Kiwi
Forum Bicycle

Im looking for a cheap method to hook up the old xbox 360 to use the home wifi connection without spending out on a pricey microsoft branded adapter, and heard mentioned using some kind of bridge that picks up the wifi and then plugs into the ethernet port. However I only want a single port not a big router thing which seem to come with a modem in already and I just dont understand how this would do what im after. I am sure they exist but not knowing exactly what the thing is called limits my ability to find what im looking for. Searching for "Wireless to Ethernet bridge" shows the cheapest at around £20 and I dont even know if its what im actually after and it is more than I was hoping to spend.

What I have found is this it seems to be it though not sure I would want to use that site to buy it.

So is this the sort of thing I need? Anyone have any experience with this kind of thing? Alternatively an alternative dongle to the microsoft branded one that doesnt cost the £50 ish that they want for it.

Anyway - appreciate any help on this.

Re: Wireless to ethernet bridge/adapter/thingie for xbox 360

Postby Cacker on Thu Jan 26, 2012 12:22 pm

Cacker
Site Admin
4th floor ponce

steamID: Cacker
PSN: Cacker67
antispam1: No
orientation: Yes
Unless they're completely misusing the term 3G, that looks like some kind of AP that utilises mobile networks ?? Unless you can get tech specs or a manual for that unbranded device, I'd hold off ordering it.

Ethernet bridges are all a bit expense £30-£80.

Another option is ethernet over mains, I seem to remember this being suggested for another problem you had ;) This would have been a no brainer if you already had homeplugs, you could have just bought another.

I assume the XBox 360 has an ethernet socket ?

Get two homeplugs, so you can hardwire to your router. They start at £16.81 each for the 85 Mbps version.

ethernet ethernet over mains ethernet
[router]<-------------------->[homeplug]<======================>[homeplug]<----------------------->[xbox 360]
/Chairs

Cacker

Postby Kiwi on Thu Jan 26, 2012 12:46 pm

Kiwi
Forum Bicycle

Yeah my penny pinching ways were hampered when I shut my cat5 cable in the door :( my new sky router has solved the Pc connection probs but I'm sool with the xbox :/

Postby Tonster on Thu Jan 26, 2012 2:29 pm

Tonster
Not Twisted, Toothpick or Tuff

steamID: MartianLM
antispam1: No
orientation: Yes
Battle.Net ID: MartianLM#2136
Cacker wrote:Get two homeplugs, so you can hardwire to your router. They start at £16.81 each for the 85 Mbps version.

ethernet ethernet over mains ethernet
[router]<-------------------->[homeplug]<======================>[homeplug]<----------------------->[xbox 360]

This.

Piece of piss to install, even I managed it.

Return to Technical Support