Recommend me a.....USB HDD for my Samsung SSmart TV

Help! It's the hair-bear bunch!

Moderator: larchy

Recommend me a.....USB HDD for my Samsung SSmart TV

Postby feign on Tue Dec 06, 2011 10:56 pm

feign
Forum Bicycle
left then right and twist 2, 3

Okie Cokie, We have one of these - http://www.johnlewis.com/shop+by+brand/samsung/Samsung+Smart+TVs/SubCategory.aspx?s_kenid=407083e9-085b-2a28-2b48-00001c42de06&s_kwcid=3x1961329 (though not from JL.) - with built in Freeview HD.

And now that Freeview HD is actually get broadcast out in East Anglia - I shit you not, it's taken this long - it seems to make sense to be buying a USB HDD, which I can connect to the TV directly and take advantage of teh Freeview HD tuner, and then donate the temperamental old freeview hdd box that we're currently using to my parents.

So, input on, what size makes sense for freeview hd recording - seems like 500giggles, 1 or 2 TB are the options?
Which usb hdd drives are most quiet?
And do I need one with a power supply, or do they draw from TV?

I believe I need one with >= 5400rpm, from some reading on the samsung forums.

I just wondered if anyone had any input? Even something like - HDD prices are silly high right now, but should calm down in Jan/Feb would be worth it!

chairs.

Re: Recommend me a.....USB HDD for my Samsung SSmart TV

Postby DrKazza on Wed Dec 07, 2011 8:45 am

DrKazza
Pinball Wizard

steamID: DrKazza
antispam1: No
orientation: Yes
I've got one of those little "notebook" HDDs... it's 750gb, and pretty much silent with no external PSU.
Most of them are pretty good to be honest.
That's The REVEREND Dr. Kazza to you.

Postby LSM on Wed Dec 07, 2011 9:42 am

LSM
Forum Bicycle
Lazy Space Monkey

steamID: LSM
PSN: messele
AKA: Lt. Sex Machine
Twitter: messele
They're great but there is a potential downside - the USB port on the telly would need to supply adequate power to the port else it won't work. No idea how you'd know whether the TV is up to it in advance but those little drives are great.

Postby feign on Wed Dec 07, 2011 3:51 pm

feign
Forum Bicycle
left then right and twist 2, 3

That was actually part of the reason for the post, as to whether I needed a USB HDD with an independent power supply, or whether one that ran just from the USB.

Having looked at the back of the TV last night, there is 1 usb that is specifically marked for HDD, but the instruction manual is so poor that it doesn't say whether it is sufficiently powered or not.

Postby LSM on Wed Dec 07, 2011 5:38 pm

LSM
Forum Bicycle
Lazy Space Monkey

steamID: LSM
PSN: messele
AKA: Lt. Sex Machine
Twitter: messele
It'd be very unusual for it to specify - it will be powered but it's a question of whether it is powered to the degree necessary. In an ideal world you will know somebody wish such a 2.5" external drive to give it a go.

You may get lucky if there are 2 adjacent USB ports (the other doesn't have to be for a HDD specifically) as most external 2.5" drives come with a double USB plug, the second of which draws power from a second port to help give it enough juice to work.

Return to Technical Support