Wipe my PC, please

Help! It's the hair-bear bunch!

Moderator: larchy

Re: Wipe my PC, please

Postby Defrag on Fri Nov 25, 2011 2:11 am

Defrag
Forum Guru
I play Klingon boggle

All up and running now. Had a bit of a farce with the heatsink -- they sent me one with a (tiny) missing bolt on the mounting bracket, so I screwed in 3 corners and the last corner refused to play. I spent about 10 minutes trying to screw it in before dissasembling it. I then noticed the missing bolt. Sigh! So I'll have to send it back to get a bolt that is about 2.5mm across.

Running with the stock HSF at the moment and it's a little whiny; overall the build is not as quiet as I'd like, but it's much quieter than my old one. The SSD though, oh my. Windows installed in less than 15 minutes! Windows boots & launches steam with the desktop fully interactive in about 15-20 seconds! It used to take probably 5x that time to start typing to someone on steam. Well impressed with the M4 -- no installation woes or anything of the like; everything was picked up perfectly.

Thanks for the help.

Postby Mr.Blonde on Fri Nov 25, 2011 11:13 am

Mr.Blonde
Forum Guru
RaNK as they come

steamID: Mr.Blonde
Xbox Live: HailMontezumah
you're not helping me be sensible with my spending Defrag!

Postby Karver on Fri Nov 25, 2011 12:14 pm

Karver
Site Admin
Bricktop. Smooth underside.

PSN: virtualkev
AKA: Karve
antispam1: Yes
orientation: No
Cacker, that graph makes me sad.
You haz ruined my computer in one easy move.
The sooner you get behind, the longer you have to catch up.

Postby Cacker on Fri Nov 25, 2011 12:47 pm

Cacker
Site Admin
4th floor ponce

steamID: Cacker
PSN: Cacker67
antispam1: No
orientation: Yes
Wassamatter ... your GeForce 256 not showing up ? :E
/Chairs

Cacker

Postby Defrag on Fri Nov 25, 2011 3:36 pm

Defrag
Forum Guru
I play Klingon boggle

Mr.Blonde wrote:you're not helping me be sensible with my spending Defrag!

I am being helpful :D

Postby Defrag on Sat Nov 26, 2011 4:42 am

Defrag
Forum Guru
I play Klingon boggle

Also, the i2500K fan is god awful. It emits a high-frequency droning noise that makes me want to cut myself (I know it's to blame, as if I boot the PC with the fan held, it's nice and quiet). I can even hear it above my game sound, and I play using headphones! Can't wait to get a replacement, then I'll be golden. My old PC sounded a bit louder in general, but it was all low frequency noise and much less irritating.

All fans that are smaller than 120mm ... must die.

Postby Defrag on Mon Nov 28, 2011 10:04 pm

Defrag
Forum Guru
I play Klingon boggle

A warning to others: Don't buy factory overclocked graphics cards. I bought the Gigabyte 560 Ti OC for the quiet fans, and this is what I am getting in BF3:

I mostly just crash to the desktop with no error or warnings, but there are many, many reports of 560 Ti OC cards being unable to stomach DX11 games. I can play L4D and various older games without a problem, but BF3 brings this thing to its knees. I just flashed my card to the latest BIOS and Gigabyte's "solution" was to up the core voltage from 1.000V to 1.037V. I.e. they've shipped a bad batch of cards that can't keep pace with the clocks they're set to by default -- the fact they've upped the voltage bears this out. I don't get any artifacts or errors and the card runs nice and cool / quiet, but it just dumps me out of the game.

Initially, I thought it was BF3 / Nvidia being shite, but now I'm not so sure. Too many people have the problem with this one specific card for it to be a coincidence, and the problems also extend to Crysis 2.

What I've tried so far:
Pre BIOS update with the standard OC clocks (900 / 1800), I could play 2 minutes of BF3 if I was lucky. More often than not it crashes before I even load.
Pre BIOS update with reference clocks (~822 / 1644), I can play for a map or two max before crashing, but it always crashes. I still crash on load 2/3 times.
Post BIOS update with everything standard (900 / 1800 / 1.037V), I managed about 10 minutes before crashing, but with that error instead of a silent CTD.

Going to wait for a week to see if I can tweak it or a BIOS / BF3 / Nvidia update fixes it, but if not, I'm going to RMA this card and get a standard 560 Ti. This is total nonsense.

Postby Defrag on Mon Nov 28, 2011 10:07 pm

Defrag
Forum Guru
I play Klingon boggle

Also, I think Novatech are going to send me a replacement LG 1155 bracket for my cooler rather than requiring a total RMA cycle. Which is nice! (very surprised)

Postby DrKazza on Tue Nov 29, 2011 9:21 am

DrKazza
Pinball Wizard

steamID: DrKazza
I used to be big into the overclocking... just after the period where you had to solder the cpu... that was too aggressive for me.

After busting a brand new 350 quid Graphics card a few years back I gave up... i find that the return on effort doesn't really justify it any more. Maybe I'm getting lazy
That's The REVEREND Dr. Kazza to you.

Postby Defrag on Tue Nov 29, 2011 12:10 pm

Defrag
Forum Guru
I play Klingon boggle

This is the first machine I've built that wasn't done on a student-esque budget. Nearly all of my previous builds consisted of budget parts that were amenable to overclocking. This is the first time I've built a machine that has failed due to overclocking and, ironically, it's overclocking that I didn't even do / care about! For a £175 graphics card, you'd expect more.

On a plus note, after flashing the BIOS and taking down the clocks to 822/1644 and setting the mem to 1950 from 2000, I managed about 2 hours of BF3 without a single crash, so that's something at least.

Kaz: Blowing up a £350 graphics card? Ouch. Did your overclocking spirit die that day? ;)

Postby DrKazza on Tue Nov 29, 2011 1:53 pm

DrKazza
Pinball Wizard

steamID: DrKazza
A little defrag... Fegni was good enough to be sympathetic but i detected more than a hint of "you silly sod" in his voice
That's The REVEREND Dr. Kazza to you.

Postby feign on Tue Nov 29, 2011 5:30 pm

feign
Forum Bicycle
left then right and twist 2, 3

DrKazza wrote:A little defrag... Fegni was good enough to be sympathetic but i detected more than a hint of "you silly sod" in his voice

It was maybe because you;re more like to see go-faster stripes on a capri than a ferrari.

Postby Cacker on Tue Nov 29, 2011 9:15 pm

Cacker
Site Admin
4th floor ponce

Defrag, ordering online, you have 14 days to send anything back, working or not. You don't actually need a reason. UK law.

Sounds like you do have a card that wont work at the advertised speed.

Mine works fine, although I did notice mine is the 560 Ti Super OC.

I also run the Gigabyte app that has Gaming/Standard/Quiet profiles and it's normally on auto, so I have seen it during BF3 actually raise core voltage and obviously the fan speed increases with temps.

have you tried that app ?
/Chairs

Cacker

Postby Defrag on Wed Nov 30, 2011 11:22 am

Defrag
Forum Guru
I play Klingon boggle

I've not tried that app, no. Might give it a try, cheers.

Postby Defrag on Sat Dec 03, 2011 12:15 am

Defrag
Forum Guru
I play Klingon boggle

Hah Larchy, you got me, guv. I just installed the Zalman and it's whisper quiet compared to the stock fan (I can turn it off and there is no appreciable difference), but but but!

... my Spinpoint F1 HDD is now rearing its ugly head. The sound is exactly the same as the one in this video (skip to 30 seconds and turn your volume up. Notice that the drive is not seeking / reading by that point, then he pulls the power cable out and you hear how god-awfully loud it is)

... so it's the HDD next. You were terribly, terribly accurate on that count.

Going to try loosening the screws or reversing its direction, as I hear it much more readily on the side I sit at (odd). Is there anything I can do beyond cocking about with screws & drive orientation/position?

Cheers.

Postby larchy on Sat Dec 03, 2011 9:34 am

larchy
Site Admin
R2 where are you?

steamID: larchy
I think I must have gotten lucky with my i2600K HSF; or it's just a little bit better than my old one enough for my P182 to cope.

The Spinpoint F1s, while being decent drives, have never had quietness as one of their virtues... it's why I never recommend them (or any other of the "performance" 7200rpm drives) unless it's for a boot drive.

Still... that noise is excessive. I've used hundreds of those drives and not come across one making that sort of racket. If I had to make a guess I'd say that either the drive bearing or motor are on their way out.

The position of the drive should make no difference because, like my missus, they are designed to be position agnostic and mounted in any way you like - the sounds emanating from within should remain the same.

I would suggest you hear the drive more readily at the side you sit at because your chassis with its special noise-dampening panels has an enormous great hole for a fan in the side which, in addition to all that air stuff, also lets noise through. Just a guess.

Postby Quinnbeast on Sat Dec 03, 2011 3:53 pm

Quinnbeast
Forum Guru
Internet Hitler says Noooooooo

If the cable length is permitting, try lifting the HDD outside the chassis and popping it on top or to one side with a soft cloth or something underneath. All good SPCR fanbois know that HDD resonance can (in some situations) be the biggest source of PC noise by far. I opted for the old Antec Solo, because it allows for soft mounting of 3 HDDs using a suspension system rather than hard mount onto the case. Certain RPM speed HDDs have a spefic corresponding character of vabration noise due to the resulting harmonics they produce.

That said, if it's making a proper racket even if you decouple it from the case, then it sounds a bit fubar'd to me. You should be able to effectively silence a HDD (besides internal seek noise) by soft mounting it.

http://www.silentpcreview.com/article75-page3.html

Postby larchy on Sat Dec 03, 2011 9:50 pm

larchy
Site Admin
R2 where are you?

steamID: larchy
Cacker wrote:Defrag, ordering online, you have 14 days to send anything back, working or not. You don't actually need a reason. UK law.

7 days from receipt of the goods.

Postby Cacker on Sat Dec 03, 2011 10:12 pm

Cacker
Site Admin
4th floor ponce

Ah yes, quite right. don't know why I always thought it was 14 for some reason -

Buying online from shops or suppliers

The purchase of goods and services over the internet, by phone or by mail order generally is subject to the Distance Selling Regulations. One of the most important implications of these regulations is a cooling off period of 7 days during which you have the right to cancel. You must provide notice of cancellation in writing and it must be posted to, left at, faxed or emailed to the business address of the supplier, and you must ensure this is done no later than 7 working days after receipt of goods. Contracts for financial products sold by distance means are subject to different rules, see below for more on this.

Something else worth mentioning is that the supplier must have sent you written confirmation of your order no later than the time of delivery of the product or performance of the service. If they did not, then your 7 day cooling off period will not begin until they do, and may be extended by a further 3 months.

If you have commissioned a service under a distance selling contract and the work begins before the end of the 7 days cancellation period, then you must give up your right to cancel, but this must be clearly communicated and with your express agreement.
/Chairs

Cacker

Postby Mr.Blonde on Fri Dec 30, 2011 12:42 pm

Mr.Blonde
Forum Guru
RaNK as they come

steamID: Mr.Blonde
Xbox Live: HailMontezumah
ok, so I'm now resigned to going ahead and upgrading my PC come the new year, anything changed since Defrag's build here? It all looks pretty spinkee to me. I'll be keeping various components from my existing PC and the only other difference from his list is that I'll probably get a GTX570. Still debating whether to actually upgrade my cpu and mobo or leave them as is (Q6600).

The only other question I had is why is that monitor so much more expensive than others? I know that Dell monitors used to be some of the best, but I also know that ViewSonic did some excellent ones (my existing one is a viewsonic) and I found e.g. this which is the same size, also backlit LED and yet only £132 vs the £265 dell one. What am I missing?

cheers geezoias.

PreviousNext

Return to Technical Support