Wipe my PC, please

Help! It's the hair-bear bunch!

Moderator: larchy

Wipe my PC, please

Postby Defrag on Sun Nov 06, 2011 4:15 pm

Defrag
Forum Guru
I play Klingon boggle

My current PC (E8400, Geforce 8800 GT etc.) is about 4 years old, so it's being put out to pasture (aka 'new' PC for my parents). I'm going to build a new one, and I've not been keeping up with the hardware market.

I'd like something that can run BF3 on a 24" monitor without choking, and I'd also like it to be very quiet. My work PC is so quiet that you can't really tell that it's switched on, so something along those lines would be splendid. I'm not hoping for absolute silence, just ... barely audible.

Any help appreciated :)

Google Docs Rink

The bits I've yet to decide on are in bold. Also I'm not going to order anything from OCUK -- I just paste in random URLs where I find stuff and, sadly, the OCUK website is still much better than most when it comes to finding stuff (why is this the case in the year 2011? Pretty incredible). Will probably go with CCL when it comes to ordering.
Last edited by Defrag on Tue Nov 08, 2011 9:51 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Re: Wipe my PC, please

Postby larchy on Mon Nov 07, 2011 9:12 am

larchy
Site Admin
R2 where are you?

steamID: larchy
antispam1: Yes
orientation: Yes
All looks fine.

SSD I'd say a Crucial M4 unless you like constantly having random BSODs and fucking about with firmware updates for a sandforce drive. For additional shits and giggles you could always go for an OCZ drive and see if you can get through a windows install without half a dozen firmware "upgrades" being released, and maybe follow some of the random and pointless "advice" on their forums.

Yeah. M4.

Motherboard

Before spending extra on a Big Fuck Off Cooler™ try the stock - with a decent chassis (eg P180) you really can't hear it. I used to run a Big Fuck Off Cooler™ on my Q9400 but the stock on my i2600K I've never heard over my 5850, so I'd save yourself 30-odd quid. It's 2 minutes to swap it later if the stock one isn't good enough for you.

I just bought a few WD 2TB drives for 50 quid. Now Thailand has sunk beneath the sea they're £800 MILLION EACH! So fuck you and your need for storage. Else I'd recommend the WD greenpower units as excellent storage drives being cheap, quiet and low power, whereas the samsung OMG F1 IT HAS STRIPES ON IT!£!" is noisy.... while it might be faster it's louder, hotter and probably not the best choice just for a storage dump. If it was a primary drive then fair enough. But it's not, so it isn't. So there.

http://www.ebuyer.com/166836-asus-xonar ... f0-0uan00z

Postby DrKazza on Mon Nov 07, 2011 2:28 pm

DrKazza
Pinball Wizard

steamID: DrKazza
antispam1: No
larchy wrote:Not OCZ and go for greenpower

^^ what he said.... OCZ blow goats. and the Blacks are supposed to be a bit better than the green but only marginally so
That's The REVEREND Dr. Kazza to you.

Postby Defrag on Mon Nov 07, 2011 2:47 pm

Defrag
Forum Guru
I play Klingon boggle

Thanks gents.

I'll swap that SSD in, as well as taking the motherboard & sound card recommendations. I may stick with the Samsung drive as I already have one of those drives and can't hear it. I'll ditch it if I reckon I can fit pretty much all of my applications on the SSD (was hoping to get a 90GB SSD as they're a bit cheaper), but if I go with a 120GB+ SSD, I'll probably go with the green. On the cooler front, I'll probably just go with the 30 odd quid one purely because I hate cocking around with an already built PC, especially if I have to take the tray out post-build, so if there was any chance of that happening, I'd rather just pay a little more to avoid the (potential) hassle.

I just bought a few WD 2TB drives for 50 quid. Now Thailand has sunk beneath the sea they're £800 MILLION EACH!

Hah I thought there was something up, as HDDs look more expensive than the last time I looked.

Postby Klors on Mon Nov 07, 2011 3:06 pm

Klors
Forum Guru
Would fuck the antichrist

I used the stock intel cooler on mine and I can't hear it, bear in mind that's in a system with a quiet chassis, quiet PSU and 5870 with a quiet fan on it.
Klors Trofobik

Postby Squigg on Mon Nov 07, 2011 9:13 pm

Squigg
Forum Guru
Capitalist pigdog

steamID: squigg
Larchy, are the cold boot POST issues with the Asus P8P67 sorted? Was considering it but heard nasty rumours...

Postby larchy on Tue Nov 08, 2011 9:34 am

larchy
Site Admin
R2 where are you?

Got one on the SB launch date and I had no issue of any kind for months. Due to the chipset recall I swapped to the B3 revision, never had any issue.

I don't work with this shit any more though, so outside my trouble-free experience I've no knowledge of any problems. All I can say is "mine works", but then my stuff always seems to...

Postby Quinnbeast on Tue Nov 08, 2011 12:35 pm

Quinnbeast
Forum Guru
Internet Hitler says Noooooooo

You can get some chunky custom coolers for the 560, like the Phantom that Gainward do. Deffo supposed to be "a bit" quieter than the reference model, but I don't know if it's £30 quieter.

http://www.scan.co.uk/products/1gb-gain ... -plusfree-

I have a pet hate of that Intel push-pin bollocks for the HSF - do they still use that system on the current gen CPUs? I'd buy a bolt-though style heatsink for that reason alone, but them I'm a belt-and-braces kind of guy. Personal preference rather than a massive heat/noise difference. I've got an older (relatively lightweight) Thermalright tower on the desktop machine, and a fanless Noctua U12P on the serverbox.

I went with SPCRs recommendations for 120mm the case/HSF fans - Nexus, Noctua and Scythe S-Flex are great options if you need any.

Postby larchy on Tue Nov 08, 2011 3:35 pm

larchy
Site Admin
R2 where are you?

yeah they're the standard pushpin; find them much easier personally.

Postby Quinnbeast on Tue Nov 08, 2011 4:44 pm

Quinnbeast
Forum Guru
Internet Hitler says Noooooooo

I had the fear of god put in me with the first stock fan I had for my old C2D. It had one pin that didn't seem to quite engage as solidly as the others, and kept popping off when I was trying to mount it. So, I ended up ordering a 775 mount for my original Zalman cooler rather than trying to RMA the stock cooler. It gave me visions of the damn thing falling off mid-game, and have stuck to bolt through kits ever since.

The bolted versions are a dose of ballache to install; you can't exactly just swap them over without an hour to spare. For me, they're a must for any of the bigger HSFs though. I've seen quite a few examples of lower temps on bolted HSFs (like for like), possibly due to a more solid and even pressure across the CPU. I think I have a push-pin phobia.

Postby Defrag on Tue Nov 08, 2011 9:41 pm

Defrag
Forum Guru
I play Klingon boggle

Cheers folks :)

Quinn: I found a slightly cheaper card that has a fan that supposedly never goes over ~31 dB (pinch o' salt). I hope Gigabyte are OK for graphics cards; I usually go with XFX. That build should be final now -- will figure out where to order the bits from tomorrow.

Postby Cacker on Wed Nov 09, 2011 3:24 pm

Cacker
Site Admin
4th floor ponce

steamID: Cacker
PSN: Cacker67
Defrag, I have that very same gfx card (Gigabyte 560 Ti OC), vaary nice. I would say it's pretty quiet, alot quieter than my previous GTX 275.

When playing BF3, it eventually ramps from 40% fan speed to around 75% and I'm sure it was only operating at 55'c, unless that was in between maps :E.

I've an ageing q9550 quad core @ 3.2 GHz, but on high settings @ 1920x1080, outputs 40 fps, never get any fps drops, plays really nicely.

Also, I've built two machines with that Fractal case, very nice, well designed and built. Annoyed I was building it for other people :s
/Chairs

Cacker

Postby Defrag on Wed Nov 09, 2011 4:15 pm

Defrag
Forum Guru
I play Klingon boggle

Supoib -- just what I wanted to hear, thanks.

Postby Defrag on Sat Nov 12, 2011 8:15 pm

Defrag
Forum Guru
I play Klingon boggle

All ordered now. I've updated my spreadsheet o' doom, if anyone is in a similar buying frenzy and wants to see what I got.

Had to swap the RAM to some corsair stuff to avoid paying another 10 quid on ebuyer, and I read quite a few complaints regarding high pitched whining with that Corsair PSU, so I swapped it out for a 550W Coolermaster one that was roughly the same price (I've got a 600W PSU from Coolermaster in this PC and it's nice and quite, so I thought why not). 550W is overkill, but oh well -- it was only 10 bucks more, and I'm too lazy to find something else.

I'm going to steal the HDD from this PC rather than order a new 1TB drive, as the prices have gone crazy. Also, the sound card & gfx card both came down in price by about 30 quid total this week, so bonus.

Thanks for all the help, folks.

Postby Mr.Blonde on Sat Nov 12, 2011 11:23 pm

Mr.Blonde
Forum Guru
RaNK as they come

steamID: Mr.Blonde
Xbox Live: HailMontezumah
danger danger will robinson!

I just bought skyrim and now feel a desire to upgrade my graphics card

and then i saw this and it made me want to upgrade my monitor... and get an SSD drive.... and then I may as well reformat and install windows again... and if I'm doing that I may as well get a new motherboard and cpu!

oh dear....

going to try and persuade myself I only need the gfx card, and possibly the SSD....

Postby Cacker on Tue Nov 15, 2011 10:02 pm

Cacker
Site Admin
4th floor ponce

this is quite useful in a useful kind of way -

/Chairs

Cacker

Postby Squigg on Tue Nov 15, 2011 11:14 pm

Squigg
Forum Guru
Capitalist pigdog

don't show me that graph again - that graph made me buy a 580 :(

Postby Mr.Blonde on Wed Nov 16, 2011 11:18 am

Mr.Blonde
Forum Guru
RaNK as they come

steamID: Mr.Blonde
Xbox Live: HailMontezumah
my 8800GTS doesn't even make the graph any more :/

I have a Q6600 CPU - it'll still be worth me upgrading my gfx card (I'm thinking a GTX570) without doing the cpu, right? When I used to look it was _always_ the gfx card that was the bottleneck and changing cpu would only make marginal difference - that still the case?

Postby Squigg on Sun Nov 20, 2011 1:39 pm

Squigg
Forum Guru
Capitalist pigdog

When it's that old you will start to get CPU bottlenecks on certain games - my GTX580 arrived before my CPU upgrade, and playing BF3 with that and an overclocked E8400 was noticeably terrible compared to the new i2500k setup. Your CPU is slightly newer than mine, but perhaps not enough to make it flawless.

Postby Cacker on Sun Nov 20, 2011 1:51 pm

Cacker
Site Admin
4th floor ponce

BF BC2 certainly improved when I moved from and dual core to a quad core ( E8400 to a Q9550 ). So certainly BF3 and other multi-core 'aware' applications/games will benefit.
/Chairs

Cacker

Next

Return to Technical Support