Postby larchy on Thu Oct 14, 2010 8:11 pm

larchy
Site Admin
R2 where are you?

steamID: larchy
antispam1: Yes
orientation: Yes
They're shite, don't bother.

Currently AMD's chipset integrated SATA3 is also troublesome and can be slower than SATA2

Wait until Intel integrate SATA3 in their sandy bridge chipsets... and hope they do a half decent job.

Don't think the C300 is massively restricted by SATA2 in any case... at best it's minimal.

SATA3 is really only going to be needed for the next gen Sandforce controllers which are going to be a metric fuckload faster than current gen.

Can see SATA getting left behind as a standard very soon - maybe OCZ's open standard will end up getting used.

Re: SSDs

Postby Jonny5 on Fri Oct 15, 2010 9:13 am

Jonny5
Forum Guru
Soapy Tit Wank

antispam1: No
Stupid question alert - do you have to ensure your mobo (in a desktop) has a certain spec to support using SSDs? I'm guessing it isn't just as simple as plugging it in, formatting and treating it as a normal HDD?
I like chicken, I like liver, meow mix meow mix please deliver.

Postby DrKazza on Fri Oct 15, 2010 9:44 am

DrKazza
Pinball Wizard

steamID: DrKazza
Jonny5 wrote:Stupid question alert - do you have to ensure your mobo (in a desktop) has a certain spec to support using SSDs? I'm guessing it isn't just as simple as plugging it in, formatting and treating it as a normal HDD?

SSDs are S-ata... assuming your old HDD was Sata then there should be no issues whatsoever and no tweaking required.
That's The REVEREND Dr. Kazza to you.

Postby Pers on Fri Oct 15, 2010 10:45 am

Pers
Forum Guru
picacity personnified.

Brilliant. Cheers Larchy, saves me 27 quid :)

Postby larchy on Fri Oct 15, 2010 1:58 pm

larchy
Site Admin
R2 where are you?

steamID: larchy
antispam1: Yes
Jonny5 wrote:I'm guessing it isn't just as simple as plugging it in, formatting and treating it as a normal HDD?

It is that simple, yes... just be aware of which drive you buy as many are shite. Also best to be running Windows7 and make sure TRIM is enabled (else performance can degrade over time), which it will be with normal drivers and assuming the drive supports it... they all do now tbh, or at least have some form of garbage collection.

Postby Tonster on Fri Oct 15, 2010 2:48 pm

Tonster
Not Twisted, Toothpick or Tuff

steamID: MartianLM
Battle.Net ID: MartianLM#2136
larchy wrote:a metric fuckload faster than current gen.

I hate it when you get technical.

Postby Pers on Mon Nov 01, 2010 11:48 am

Pers
Forum Guru
picacity personnified.

Finally ordered a Crucial C300 64gb. Should have it over here by thursday fingers crossed.

Also got a couple of Viper fans for my H70. So should be able to hit 4ghz on my i7 860.

This may sound sad but I'm very excited about the SSD.

Postby Cacker on Mon Nov 01, 2010 1:07 pm

Cacker
Site Admin
4th floor ponce

steamID: Cacker
PSN: Cacker67
yes, it is sad. /point

I got the same SSD, from ebay for £102.

I've been playing Witcher and dumped it on the spare space (it only has windows on it) and the chapter loads and saves are so goddamn quick its disgusting. Game load is super duper huper quick too.

Just wish prices would come down to get the bigger SSDs and be finally rid of the mechanicals.
/Chairs

Cacker

Postby Pers on Mon Nov 01, 2010 2:27 pm

Pers
Forum Guru
picacity personnified.

Got it for £109 off Scan. Managed to blag most of it as a xmas pressie :)

I wasn't going to bother installing any games on it. Well WoW would be a total waste and I'd be right on the limit space wise.

Postby Pers on Sat Nov 06, 2010 4:08 pm

Pers
Forum Guru
picacity personnified.

I have to say an SSD drive is possibly the biggest upgrade I've made in a computer. Blows away getting new cpus, faster memory and all that jazz.

Boot time is just amazing as is the speed of opening stuff.

I was retarded and installed WoW to the SSD. Sadly with all the Cata shit the folder is rolling at 30GB. WoW rocks loading and zoning but I only have 7.4gb spare out the 60GB usuable. I will be able to trim about 6gb out the folder as updates but not until Cata.

I switched off indexing, restore crap and hibernating.

Also said fuck it and went for the Sata 3 Asus card because I want the extra 100mbs read speed! Currently showing 266mbs via Sata 2.

Postby TK421 on Sun Nov 07, 2010 9:42 am

TK421
Site Admin
You're the best thread of 2013

I'm tempted to rip my 256gb SSD out of my main PC and stick it in my laptop as its my main pute out here

Postby Pers on Fri Nov 12, 2010 9:53 am

Pers
Forum Guru
picacity personnified.

Hey Larchy, I got some SSD questions for you mate.

I got my u3s6 yesterday and installed it. My read speeds have gone up to 320mb/s from 266 mb/s on sata2. I should be hitting 355mb/s but as I only have 8gb spare on the drive I assume performance drops. I will be shifting WoW off the drive this weekend as it's 30gb and for faster zoning it's just overkill.

Next up the Trim v Garbage collection question. The Marvell driver with the u3s6 doesn't support Trim. However I've read some stuff where the Marvell driver performs better than the MS driver I'm using to achieve trim.

I leave my pc on 24/7 and some suggest logging off Windows to allow the drive to run trim. So I guess my performance is also getting cained because I leave it on 24/7 and don't log off so maybe trim hasn't run.

Sorry for the questions. Hitting google can give tons of different answers :(

Postby Pers on Tue Nov 16, 2010 9:33 am

Pers
Forum Guru
picacity personnified.

Got this sorted nicely now. Rolling with the Marvell driver and the Asus u3s6. If I use the msahci drivers with the u3s6 I get freezes with Windows 7 for about 20seconds every so often. Once I went with the Marvell driver the freezes stopped and I'm getting alot better performance results.

Very happy :)

Postby Jonny5 on Tue Jul 26, 2011 8:56 am

Jonny5
Forum Guru
Soapy Tit Wank

Crucial drive is £82 now :D
I like chicken, I like liver, meow mix meow mix please deliver.

Postby Mr.Blonde on Mon Aug 01, 2011 10:01 am

Mr.Blonde
Forum Guru
RaNK as they come

steamID: Mr.Blonde
Xbox Live: HailMontezumah
Is the crucial still the drive to buy even now? All this chat below about mindblowing loading times etc etc is making me tempted - just bought Bioshock 2 for £5 and it's inspired me to catch up on the many games I've missed for the pc recently.

And I guess the thing to do is install windows + as many games as space allows on the SSD, right? Do you include all the various apps (MS office etc etc) in that too?

Postby DrKazza on Mon Aug 01, 2011 10:24 am

DrKazza
Pinball Wizard

steamID: DrKazza
So you definitely want the OS on the SSD.
then you want anything that used the HDD intensively and you need it to be quick, so high end games benefit, but music/videos don't

I wouldn't get it too cluttered if I were you. If your graphics card is pants, then installing a game on an SSD is going to do fuck all for you. Word, Outlook, excel... once they're loaded don't used the HD very much so don't bother with them (although you'll find a lot of programs prefer to live on the same drive as the OS)
That's The REVEREND Dr. Kazza to you.

Postby Klors on Mon Aug 01, 2011 1:29 pm

Klors
Forum Guru
Would fuck the antichrist

They're apparently best for large file read access, if you get down to hundreds of small file accesses, they're not drastically better performance than fast platters.

So, movie editing, photoshop scratch disks, etc.

I've found Windows 7 OS is initially mind blowingly fast loading on it (and especially installing on it, like 15mins vs a couple of hours), but once you get all the little programs on there that do a bit more loading during boot up it slows down to near normal HDD speeds.
Klors Trofobik

Postby The-Bandido on Mon Aug 08, 2011 6:27 pm

The-Bandido
Forum Regular

Do you guys using SSDs...

1) use the SSD for the swap file
2) select a different (non-SSD) drive for the swap file
3) Install fuckloads of memory and have no swap file
4) does Windows support (3) with a memory dump to SSD in order to sleep/hibernate?

Interesting to see some articles such as these:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Write_amplification

http://thecoffeedesk.com/news/index.php ... ta-center/

http://www.anandtech.com/show/2614/17

http://www.anandtech.com/show/4341/ocz- ... reviewed/3

Postby Cacker on Tue Aug 09, 2011 12:31 am

Cacker
Site Admin
4th floor ponce

steamID: Cacker
PSN: Cacker67
1) yes
2) no
3) you can't have no swapfile, windows is retarded
4) by default, the hiberfil.sys file is on c: so if your OS is on SSD, so is your hibernate file.

I just partitioned a 64 GB SSD into 40 GB for OS (c:) and 24 GB for Temp (T:) for swapfile and stuff

Thinking of upgrading soon, fancy seeing how intel smart response pans out. they have the controller set up so that you can use your SSD to speed up your attached HDDs.

Although tbh, if it's using it just like a cache, surely on-HDD cache is better. so why don't they just be done with it and put 64 GB Cache on a HDD ?
/Chairs

Cacker

Postby LSM on Wed Feb 01, 2012 9:21 am

LSM
Forum Bicycle
Lazy Space Monkey

steamID: LSM
PSN: messele
AKA: Lt. Sex Machine
Twitter: messele
My turn to start taking a look.

Considering plopping an ~256Gb (doesn't have to be that big) into a 2010 i7 MBP running Lion.

I'm aware of the things that need to be done to set TRIM up etc. but this is very fast moving world and from a quick read there seems to be some debate, or there has been over past months, of the merits of Crucial vs Intel. Nothing else seems to be getting much of a look-in right now.

Penny for your current thoughts peeps?

PreviousNext

Return to Technical Support