SSDs

Help! It's the hair-bear bunch!

Moderator: larchy

SSDs

Postby Klors on Mon Apr 26, 2010 5:38 pm

Klors
Forum Guru
Would fuck the antichrist

So what's the current state of play? They still seem to be at the same prices they've been since the price hike a few months back. How are you guys with the Crucial's doing, performance holding up?

Was looking at the 160GB Intel X25 http://www.ebuyer.com/product/175720, as I seem to recall them being recommended, but wondering why they seem to have lower quoted write speeds than the Crucial M225s?

Do you still keep up with this stuff Larch?
Klors Trofobik

Re: SSDs

Postby larchy on Mon Apr 26, 2010 6:34 pm

larchy
Site Admin
R2 where are you?

steamID: larchy
antispam1: Yes
orientation: Yes
Yes m8 - and you're right, one of the issues with the Intel drives is their write speeds are capped at 100MB/s - it was originally 70MBs but they actually increased it with a firmware upgrade.

Benchies!

The Crucial M225s a few of us got last year are awesome m8 - they're indilinx barefoot controllers and they're fine at everything tbh. A few specific situations can trouble them, but nothing to worry about in normal use, and given at the time they were cheaper than Intel they were the best buy I thought. Still not a bad choice I'd say, depending on price.

There are some new controllers on the block now - notably the Sandforce 1200 and 1500. Basically these are better than Intel (and anything else) by quite a margin. You will pay for it though, and Corsair's force SSD and OCZ's Vertex 2 are a bit pricier than older drives. They're actually SF1200 controllers a bit souped up... the normal SF1200 Agility 2 is a little slower again, but still remarkably fast.

Western Digital have some out now based on a new Jmicron controller. It's still shit. Marvell, crap. Samsung, still crap.

A look at some of the newer model drives here, including the Corsair Nova which is the newer version of the Indilinx Barefoot controller that is faster with 34nm flash chips... it's pretty awesome.

Postby Klors on Mon Apr 26, 2010 8:49 pm

Klors
Forum Guru

Cheers m8, the SandForce ones do look spiffy. Might give it a couple more months and see how their reliability fares.

Those M225s were a steal back when you guys got them, pity the price jumped up.
Klors Trofobik

Postby Klors on Wed May 12, 2010 2:58 am

Klors
Forum Guru

Well, I feel a bit dirty.

Not only did I buy something from overclockers.co.uk, but I also bought an OCZ drive...

Ended up going for the OCZ Vertex Limited Edition 100GB drive in the end, one of the SandForce (not-quite-sort-of-nearly)SF-1500 controller drives. I happened to be googling for 5870's and stumbled upon OCUK having a "one week only offer" on the drives and as I couldn't find the Corsair Force anywhere, I figured I'm a sucker for a "bargain".

So, I'll see how that speeds up the old computer in conjunction with the 5870, should feel like a new machine! At least till I can be arsed to buy a new mobo/cpu/etc to put them in.
Klors Trofobik

Postby Klors on Fri May 14, 2010 1:20 pm

Klors
Forum Guru

Well, in went in with no fuss and (after I enabled AHCI) installed windows in about 15mins. The ATi drivers installed in about a tenth (or less probably) the time they would on the old platters.

TRIM support should just be automatic with Win7 if the drive supports it right? Anything else special I should be looking to do?
Klors Trofobik

Postby larchy on Fri May 14, 2010 3:24 pm

larchy
Site Admin
R2 where are you?

Nah that's it m8

To check TRIM is enabled load up a command prompt with admin rights and type:
fsutil behavior query DisableDeleteNotify

If it comes back as "0" then TRIM is enabled.

You don't need to be in AHCI mode - the Microsoft driver will pass TRIM in ATA mode too.

The only special thing to do is ignore all the SSD 'optimisation tips' on the OCZ forum as they're the biggest load of bullshit ever written.

Postby Klors on Fri May 14, 2010 5:14 pm

Klors
Forum Guru

Yeah, the misinformation meter was spiking when I was looking around for info.

When I didn't have AHCI mode on in the BIOS the Windows install from DVD seemed to pause for around 5-10 mins at several points doing nothing, which went away when I switched to AHCI. I had an "Intel Robson Technology" option become available when I switched to AHCI, took me a little while to figure out wth it was. :)
Klors Trofobik

Postby Monie on Thu Jul 15, 2010 10:08 pm

Monie
Forum Bicycle
Grays...Sports...Almanac

Been looking a bit into these (chairs Larch :D) and this is one i've been recommended by someone else:

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Corsair-CSSD-V1 ... LDJXSUK6ZB

Any comments on this?

Does it compare well to the Crucial 128GB M225 that Larch recommended and a few of you guys got? Does it bring anything to the party that would warrant spending more?

I've also been reading around on them and there's some concern that in 'high write environments' their shelf life is likely to be limited. Firstly wtf is a 'high write environment'? Presumably you take much of this away if you're using a 2nd HDD for storage, downloading etc, and just using the SSD for OS and Programs etc? The concern is apparently heightened because of the amount of space taken up with the OS and programs etc leaving a smaller amount of cells with limited write cycles, meaning you could eventually end up with a cell that could still be read but no longer written to? Is this just fancy techy bs and not really applicable to bog standard computing at home? Does stuff like leaving the thing on near constantly affect this kinda thing?

Also anyone had experience in banging these things in an iMac? (24" 2.8Gz Core 2 Duo dealy)

Ta :)

Postby larchy on Thu Jul 15, 2010 11:23 pm

larchy
Site Admin
R2 where are you?

The Nova has the newer barefoot ECO controller and 34nm flash which makes it slightly better than the M225. It's a great drive. However I'd recommend the Crucial C300 as the current best SSD out there in performance terms - it uses Marvell controller.

A high write environment is a server. Flash life expectancy is a very complicated subject and 99.9999% of what you read will be bullshit. Do not worry about it with these drives.

Postby Monie on Sat Aug 21, 2010 5:12 pm

Monie
Forum Bicycle
Grays...Sports...Almanac

Fiiiiiinally got the SSD in and rocking in the iMac - It's pretty much the shit!

iMac is 10x faster than it was, incredible the difference. Chairs larcheh poos :D

Postby larchy on Sun Aug 22, 2010 9:26 am

larchy
Site Admin
R2 where are you?

no worries m8

Postby Defrag on Fri Sep 17, 2010 10:39 pm

Defrag
Forum Guru
I play Klingon boggle

These look like a fairly decent half-way house:

Hybrid drives. Any good?

Postby larchy on Sat Sep 18, 2010 6:43 am

larchy
Site Admin
R2 where are you?

The flash is a read-only cache, so doesn't help with writes. The drives cost about twice as much as an ordinary HDD, but yeah they're quite a bit quicker, although not near an SSD's performance. Certainly I'd choose one over a normal HDD for a laptop any day.

http://www.anandtech.com/show/3734/seag ... brid-hdd/2

Postby Pers on Thu Sep 30, 2010 1:11 pm

Pers
Forum Guru
picacity personnified.

I've been thinking it's time to upgrade my os/games to SSD.

I got a nice email off Overclockers today showing me :

http://www.overclockers.co.uk/showprodu ... ubcat=1668

Looks blooming sweet and I like the 3.5" thing.

Postby TK421 on Thu Sep 30, 2010 1:16 pm

TK421
Site Admin
You're the best thread of 2013

antispam1: No
I'd get larchy's opinion on it before spending your hard earn pesetas mate.

Larchy, you should have a paypal donate button somewhere

Postby Pers on Thu Sep 30, 2010 3:11 pm

Pers
Forum Guru
picacity personnified.

I was hoping the Larchy would give his expert opinion. I can't find any reviews on the drives as so new.

I didn't consult him however over my Corsair H70 purchase. Bloody awesome bit of kit.

Postby larchy on Fri Oct 01, 2010 9:17 am

larchy
Site Admin
R2 where are you?

Sandforce 1500, good controller with great speeds and no real weaknesses... depending on the type of data it may not play nice with the sandforce compression algorithms, but even then speed remains good. Write performance will irrevocably degrade with use - this is an issue with all sandforce drives, but the speed still remains decent.

Speed wise it will be up there/slightly behind the utterly fantastic Crucial C300s, but also a bit cheaper.

Issue with all sandforce drives is overprovisioning - they need space on the drive for the controller to do it's shit. They've cut this space from 28% on older drives to 13% on newer firmwares, which isn't supposed to affect long term performance in consumer usage patterns. You will end up with... um... probably less than 80GB usable out of the 90GB though (the 128GB model gets 111GB usable so it's probably high 70's for this one).

These units are cheap because they are in 3.5" form factor, not the usual 2.5" - this is just cheaper to manufacture apparently and obviously isn't an issue for a desktop PC... in fact it could make things easier depending on your chassis.

Postby Pers on Mon Oct 04, 2010 2:53 pm

Pers
Forum Guru
picacity personnified.

Cheers Larchy. The Crucial was top of my list until I saw the 3.5" drives and the rather nice prices. I guess other makers will follow suit now.

Gonna hold back a month or so and see if anything changes.

Postby Shagaire on Wed Oct 06, 2010 10:22 pm

Shagaire
Forum Guru
pr0gaminglol

steamID: shagaire
Twitter: shagaire
antispam1: No
I got the 240GB version of the 2.5" a few months ago for OS/games and am waiting for the prices on the larger ones to go down a bit before I buy another for all my other stuff. The speeds on pretty much everything are :shock:

SSD are the shitz.

Postby Pers on Thu Oct 14, 2010 2:42 pm

Pers
Forum Guru
picacity personnified.

Hey Larchy,

I'm thinking Asus U3S6 + Crucial C300 64gb

or the controller card + OCZ Bigfoot 90GB

The Sata3 card is supported by my Maximus iii Formula evidently.

Next

Return to Technical Support