Re: SSDs

Postby larchy on Mon Nov 05, 2012 6:15 pm

larchy
Site Admin
R2 where are you?

steamID: larchy
antispam1: Yes
orientation: Yes
Yeah just install it fresh on the new drive, the old one can just stay as it is. You can always back up whatevers on it later and format it to clean it up a bit.

You'll just need to sort the boot order to make sure the system boots off the SSD

Postby feign on Tue Nov 06, 2012 3:55 pm

feign
Forum Bicycle
left then right and twist 2, 3

I did a new install onto the new SSD, and it was a piece of pee.

Physically, my 2.5" ssd is held in place by a couple of cable ties into a standard 3.5" drive bay and seems fine. As there's no moving parts, it's not as if it;s going to be moving about...

Postby Cacker on Tue Nov 06, 2012 4:58 pm

Cacker
Site Admin
4th floor ponce

steamID: Cacker
PSN: Cacker67
antispam1: No
I hope these are strong titanium cable ties ...
/Chairs

Cacker

Postby Tonster on Mon Jan 28, 2013 3:18 pm

Tonster
Not Twisted, Toothpick or Tuff

steamID: MartianLM
antispam1: No
Battle.Net ID: MartianLM#2136
larchy wrote:
Tonster wrote:
larchy wrote:I'm assuming you're going to put the new drive in and install Windows afresh, and just leave the old one in as a second drive.

Having been reading up on migrating Win 7 to a different drive, but from all I've read it's not worth the trouble, fresh install it is. Only question I have there - is it OK to leave the same Win 7 OS on the old drive but boot from the SSD?

Yeah just install it fresh on the new drive, the old one can just stay as it is. You can always back up whatevers on it later and format it to clean it up a bit.

You'll just need to sort the boot order to make sure the system boots off the SSD

Got myself an 840 Pro 512GB, to hell with the cost :P Just coming back to the above point, if I've got Windows 7 on two drives and am booting off the SSD, if I install something will it install in the active Windows installation or is there a risk of it installing itself in the old one?

Postby larchy on Mon Jan 28, 2013 5:25 pm

larchy
Site Admin
R2 where are you?

steamID: larchy
antispam1: Yes
Stuff will only install 'into' the copy of the OS that is currently running, if you're talking about registration entries etc. Of course, should you load up the other OS and navigate to whatever it is you installed, it'll probably run fine too.

Previous

Return to Technical Support