Windows 7 New Machine Parts Superthread!

Help! It's the hair-bear bunch!

Moderator: larchy

Re: Windows 7 New Machine Parts Superthread!

Postby larchy on Wed Sep 02, 2009 7:49 am

larchy
Site Admin
R2 where are you?

steamID: larchy
antispam1: Yes
orientation: Yes
No I haven't m8 sorry.

I have looked at them, but I'm not convinced by the idea at all. They aren't really much more effective than the Ultra120s and equivalents and you still need a 120mm on the radiator so the noise level ain't gonna be any different to a conventional HSF.

You could double up the chassis fan I suppose, but all you're doing is reducing the outflow from the rest of the chassis.

I much prefer some of the different designs like the Scythe Angle, which is awesome in something like the P182 or your chassis, or the Thermo BARAM which is the best air cooler right now.

Postby DrKazza on Wed Sep 02, 2009 8:13 am

DrKazza
Pinball Wizard

steamID: DrKazza
antispam1: No
here's a review of the H50 cooler
http://www.tomshardware.co.uk/corsair-h ... 645-6.html

it does pretty well... make sure you have room for the radiator and also buy a quiet fan for it
That's The REVEREND Dr. Kazza to you.

Postby Klors on Wed Sep 02, 2009 1:40 pm

Klors
Forum Guru
Would fuck the antichrist

What tips do people have for maximum quietness for minimum hassle?

I often wonder if there's something I could do to calm down my Radeon HD 29000 XT, I had a quick peek around but it mostly seems to be water coolers and that sounds like a bit of a hassle... not to mention the thought of electrical components + water....

It's fine normally, but when it gets hot the noise is just a bit too loud, I'd rather have the noise somewhere in between those volumes and slightly more constant than semi-frequent ramping up and down. I haven't had a look to see if there's some way to tweak the fan speeds for the lower speed to idle slightly higher.
Klors Trofobik

Postby larchy on Wed Sep 02, 2009 2:58 pm

larchy
Site Admin
R2 where are you?

Get one of these m8

There's an optional double fan to go on them which are utterly amazingly quiet... a pair of ~60mms (roughly I think) and they're inaudible... much better than the very expensive super-quiet 120mms (the proper quiet ones, not the crappy ones that just run at a lower rpm)

Stuck one on my 4850 as soon as I got it, took the temps down to 50C under load from 60C idle/86C load and can't hear it at all.

You may need extra RAM sinks to what's in the pack, and I strongly recommend using thermal epoxy instead of relying on their crappy double sided ape that always falls off.

Edit:

Oh, that one doesn't support the 2900XT... there's a special one for that :D

Postby Klors on Wed Sep 02, 2009 7:16 pm

Klors
Forum Guru

Sweet!

Jesus that's a beast... pity I can't find anywhere stocking.
Klors Trofobik

Postby larchy on Wed Sep 02, 2009 7:34 pm

larchy
Site Admin
R2 where are you?

Hmm, looking at compatibility charts for various aftermarket VGA coolers, they all seem to exclude 2900 compatibility. The PCBs must have some peculiar mounts, and with them being quite old and not very popular maybe specific coolers for them are going to be very hard to find :/

Postby Klors on Thu Sep 03, 2009 1:22 pm

Klors
Forum Guru

Good excuse to *have* to buy a new 5xxx card or two then I suppose :)

So how come you got out of having your own business? I need to find a new pimp now...
Klors Trofobik

Postby larchy on Thu Sep 03, 2009 1:40 pm

larchy
Site Admin
R2 where are you?

Got bored.

I only deal with the public now if I'm armed.

Postby Klors on Thu Sep 03, 2009 2:03 pm

Klors
Forum Guru

Can't say as I blame you, even working with professionals in the fairly level-headed, steady world of mainframe computing can be an exercise in patience at times.
Klors Trofobik

Postby larchy on Tue Sep 08, 2009 7:23 am

larchy
Site Admin
R2 where are you?

i5 NDA has expired. Note thw W7 SMT improvements with these CPUs too.

Pricing

The £150 i5 750 is basically cheaper 920 alternative, especially when you factor the platform cost in.

The 860 is £70 more for hyperthreading (so 8 threads) and a small clockspeed bump.

The 870 is a bit odd since it's the same price as a 940, which is triple channel QPI and unlocked.

Postby Pers on Tue Sep 08, 2009 10:38 am

Pers
Forum Guru
picacity personnified.

Looks like I'll go with the Asus deluxe 1156 mobo, i7 860 and 4gb of gskill 2000mhz ram. I'm gonna wait about a month to see some reviews and overclocking results but I think the i7 860 is a nicer bet than the i5 750 cos the hyper threading. The old man is gonna chip in some cos he will get my e6600 so it's all good.

I have to say they kept the pricing and reviews quiet till release.

Postby larchy on Tue Sep 08, 2009 10:54 am

larchy
Site Admin
R2 where are you?

You mean the way it was benchmarked in May, the prices were leaked in July and they've been selling them in Taiwan for 6 weeks?

Yeah the 860 is where it's at. Guru3d did some overclocking and banged their hand-picked review 870 up to 4.1GHz. They also recorded this 1200MHz overclock added and extra 133W to the power consumption, increasing the 100% load wattage from 162W to a staggering 295W

The 860's turbo speeds are higher and the SMT enhancements mean HT isn't always a disadvantage now, with Windows7 at least.

I'm still very lukewarm on them tbh given the prices. Anand's gaming tests note "The other thing to notice is the lowest Lynnfield is a faster gaming CPU than Intel's fastest dual-core: the E8600", completely ignoring the fact that possibly the most important measure, the [b]minumum fps[/url] was faster than even the most expensive i7s and over 50% higher than the 750's. This is despite the fact that they comment on how amazing the 870's lowest fps score is compared to the old i7s in the previous paragraph. Usual Intel slurpslurpbrownnose from Anand, but for gaming an oc'ed 8400 still looks the best way to go to me.

I'd rather have a max fps of 140 and min of 33 than max of 170 and min of 22.

Postby Pers on Tue Sep 08, 2009 2:22 pm

Pers
Forum Guru
picacity personnified.

Yea some information was early. All the big reviewers seemed to lay off anything to do with the new stuff till today. I guess Intel wouldn't let them post reviews too early. I also thought the cpus would be a bit cheaper to be honest.

The i5 750 looks to overclock very nicely from what I've seen so far and the temps look good. http://forums.overclockers.co.uk/showth ... t=18051869 They will post some i7 860 results later, I'm looking forward to seeing how far it will go.

Postby Pers on Tue Sep 08, 2009 8:56 pm

Pers
Forum Guru
picacity personnified.

After doing some maths. The i7 860 works out £25 cheaper than going for an i7 920 setup. So the 920 setup looks the better bet with tri-channel memory and the extra 2gb. For around £100 less than the 920 setup I can have an i5 750.

So if I want hyper threading then it's a 920.

Postby larchy on Tue Sep 08, 2009 9:42 pm

larchy
Site Admin
R2 where are you?

Yeah, bit disappointed by how poorly the new chips are working out against the 920 tbh.

The 920s have unlocked QPI so you can run DDR3 1600 remember when you buy - so don't get stuck with 1066

I still think the cheaper 860 is a bit better... certainly for gaming and single threaded stuff. It's not like you need the insane 1366 bandwidth outside multisocket setups.

Postby larchy on Wed Sep 09, 2009 7:36 am

larchy
Site Admin
R2 where are you?

As if you needed any higher authority, Jon Stokes weighing in and pointing out the same discrepancies I was above.

It's "in theory," because Tech Report's Core i5/i7 benches show some surprising results that indicate that all isn't right with the new platform under Windows 7, and that (contrary to the stated conclusion) gamers are better off with the older Core 2 Duo systems.

He also points out how the i7/i5s only have a performance lead at very low resolutions with minimal image quality. As soon as you run anywhere near the sort of resolutions you're likely to use - eg 1600x1200 with 4xFSAA the i7s and i5 performance drops off to a point well below that of C2D and C2Q systems.

Postby larchy on Thu Sep 10, 2009 8:58 pm

larchy
Site Admin
R2 where are you?

Fuck me these new Radeons have some serious horsepower

http://techreport.com/discussions.x/17563

Deadspace/Dirt2/L4D, 6 screens on one card (via displayport), 7680x3200 resolution and they run great apparently.

wowser!

Postby TK421 on Fri Sep 11, 2009 8:23 am

TK421
Site Admin
You're the best thread of 2013

I always preferred Ati over Nvidia, so I'm happy they're kicking arse once more.

Whens that new card out larchy?

Postby larchy on Fri Sep 11, 2009 8:39 am

larchy
Site Admin
R2 where are you?

About two weeks apparently... 23rd/24th

Anand have an article on it now - Ati want to build a holodeck within the next 7 years :D

Some borderless monitors would look awesome with this!

Postby DrKazza on Fri Sep 11, 2009 9:13 am

DrKazza
Pinball Wizard

steamID: DrKazza
erm... no larch... from that article you quoted:
'Borderless' is more about freedom, according to LG, because the range apparently gives owners the freedom to, say, transfer images over Bluetooth.

“You will live better because of the infinite freedoms that the LG borderless TV will give you,” LG said.

The sets are borderless in the physical sense, to an extent. An injection compression moulding process followed by film laminating technology results in glass running right to each model's very edge – much like on some Apple laptops.

But if you thought borderless meant the range can display images to the very edge of the screen – forget it.

talk about a let down.
That's The REVEREND Dr. Kazza to you.

PreviousNext

Return to Technical Support