Vista SP2

Help! It's the hair-bear bunch!

Moderator: larchy

Vista SP2

Postby Semjay on Thu Jun 18, 2009 9:49 pm

Semjay
Forum Regular

Installed SP2 and it has shafted my pc...
Installed as normal and restarted, freezes (but flickers) on a screen something to do with 0cx0000000.
Tried booting from CD and doing 'repair windows' but it was looping 'attempting to repair windows' for about 3 hours before i got bored.
Now when i try booting from CD it returns an 0x0000C1F5 blue screen and i can't get any further.
If i try a normal boot it just stays on the Vista MS Corp loading screen, it doesn't freeze the bar just keeps loading. Have also left it like this for hours.
If i try to start in safe mode it starts loading Windows files but gets to \windows\system32\drivers\crcdisk.sys then stops.

Run out of ideas, help appreciated :naughty:

Re: Vista SP2

Postby larchy on Thu Jun 18, 2009 10:15 pm

larchy
Site Admin
R2 where are you?

steamID: larchy
antispam1: Yes
orientation: Yes
Yeah this is a known issue when installing SP1 too and MS has never made a proper fix.

Usually you have to use an XP cd to reformat the drive as the Vista DVD will just BSOD as you've discovered.

It's caused by a corrupted log file ( $TxfLog ) which the OS will try to fix on boot but if it can't will just hang or BSOD.

If you can get hold of an ubuntu live CD you should be able to boot that and delete the offending log file from the Vista OS partition... Vista should then load normally.

You could also try fixing the file system by booting from an XP CD, starting the recovery console and typing "CHKDSK /P" ... not sure if that would work or not though, but possible.

Postby Semjay on Thu Jun 18, 2009 10:59 pm

Semjay
Forum Regular

Managed to boot with Ubuntu, where do i find $TxfLog? Tried searching for it.
Thanks alot :D

Postby Squigg on Thu Jun 18, 2009 11:08 pm

Squigg
Forum Guru
Capitalist pigdog

steamID: squigg
apparently its here windows/\$Extend/RmMetadata

Postby Semjay on Thu Jun 18, 2009 11:22 pm

Semjay
Forum Regular

Cannot browse to that in Ubuntu as the explorer "cannot handle these types of locations"

Postby larchy on Fri Jun 19, 2009 7:32 am

larchy
Site Admin
R2 where are you?

Oh, that's an arse. You may need to install another Windows OS on another partition to be able to do it then D: (or, well.. hook the drive up to another machine or whatever obviously)

Postby Semjay on Fri Jun 19, 2009 9:31 am

Semjay
Forum Regular

Thanks Larch.
I have an older pc on XP. Can i just set the Vista HD to slave and stick it in there to browse and delete the file? Then set back to master and move back to new pc?
Happy birthday Steve Frosties

Postby larchy on Fri Jun 19, 2009 9:57 am

larchy
Site Admin
R2 where are you?

Master/slave? Not an SATA drive?

Obviously plug it in with whatever settings needed to make it work :p Whether it is master or slave is irrelevant though for what you want, so long as it works... set the config to whatever it needs to be.

Then boot the XP OS and try and delete the file that way yeah (you'll probably need to enable the view of hidden and protected system files in folder options to find it).

If you search around there are a lot of ppl who've had this issue and not a lot of luck fixing it, but the above way is possibly the best hope :/ gl m8, can't think of anything else... although if it comes to the worst at least getting access to the drive this way will let you back any files you need up if the OS can't be fixed.

Postby Squigg on Fri Jun 19, 2009 5:17 pm

Squigg
Forum Guru
Capitalist pigdog

steamID: squigg
why thanking you. i shall indeed be happy.

you going to si's engagement thing in august? that scares me...

Postby Semjay on Fri Jun 19, 2009 5:32 pm

Semjay
Forum Regular

Yep, how the mighty fall...

Postby Semjay on Sun Jun 21, 2009 1:19 pm

Semjay
Forum Regular

Me again...!
Tried the hd in another pc and with it plugged in it doesn't go past the loading screen. Have tried all the sata ports and no joy. If i unplug it the pc will boot fine again.
In boot sequence can only select HDD, cannot specify which one, but i assume it would boot from port0.
:?:

Postby larchy on Tue Jun 23, 2009 10:02 am

larchy
Site Admin
R2 where are you?

Sorry for not replying sooner.

Is the other OS Vista too? Needs to be XP or 2k I think... and then obviously you'll be able to tell which is loading too.

Really doesn't let you choose which hdd? Gah, fail!

Postby Semjay on Mon Jun 29, 2009 11:38 am

Semjay
Forum Regular

Sorry was on holiday! Still problems...
Managed to delete $TxfLog as below but the vista repair does not work. Now when i boot i don't get a bsod but it hangs at !!0xc0000034 !! 175/90048 (0000000000000000.cdf-ms)
Googled it and it seems like an SP1 issue now?! Stuck again...
1. Boot the SystemRescueCD disc, answering any localization questions as required, until you get to a command prompt.
2. Mount your hard drive at /mnt/windows using ntfs-3g, e.g. “ntfs-3g /dev/sda1 /mnt/windows”. You may have to look at /dev/hd* and /dev/sd* to figure out the correct device to mount. Also, if the NTFS file system is corrupted (which it probably is if you are reading this post) you may have to add the “-o force” flag to the mount, e.g. “ntfs-3g /dev/sda1 /mnt/windows -o force”.
3. Verify that you have the correct file system mounted by “ls /mnt/windows”. You should see the content of “C:\”… if you don’t, repeat (2) until you mount the correct device.
4. Navigate to the hidden folder: “cd /mnt/windows/\$Extend”. Note the backslash before the $; that is important as it keeps the command shell from interpreting the $ (it is really part of the file name).
5. Type “ls”. Among the files/folders listed you should see either “RmMetaData” or “$RmMetaData”.
6. Type “cd RmMetaData” or “cd \$RmMetaData” depending on what you saw in step 5.
7. Type “ls”. Among the files/folders listed you should see “$TxfLog”.
8. Take a deep breath and recursively remove the $TxfLog file: “rm -rf \$TxfLog”. Use “ls” to verify that it has been deleted.
9. “cd /”, “umount /mnt/windows”, and “init 6″ to reboot, removing the CD when appropriate.

At this point, your system will no longer bluescreen, but it won’t boot, either. To fix that, here’s part 2, for which you’ll need a Vista DVD:

1. Boot the Vista DVD and choose “Repair my computer”.
2. When the system looks for Vista installations to repair, it probably won’t find any. Don’t panic; just click Next.
3. In the System Recovery Options list, choose Startup Repair. The system will process for a minute or two, then state that it needs to reboot to finish its repair. Allow it to reboot.
4. Remove the DVD at the appropriate time and allow the system to boot from the hard drive.
5. If the system complains that it was not shut down properly, choose “boot normally”.

Postby larchy on Mon Jun 29, 2009 12:29 pm

larchy
Site Admin
R2 where are you?

I'm really sorry m8 but I don't really know that there's much more to be done :/

I've looked around a fair a bit, and like you I found that it seems fairly obviously to be a Vista SP1/SP2 installation issue that is just nasty to get stung by. Despite it being fairly commonly known about, there doesn't seem to be any proper fix and MS is just ignoring the issue :/

Wish I could suggest something more :/

Postby Semjay on Mon Jun 29, 2009 6:40 pm

Semjay
Forum Regular

Will reformat or something.
Cheers :)

Return to Technical Support