Re: PC Problem

Postby larchy on Thu Jun 11, 2009 7:34 pm

larchy
Site Admin
R2 where are you?

steamID: larchy
antispam1: Yes
orientation: Yes
Power pack is a bit crazy. - (you're in 'gaming pc' territory, ie around than 200W under load)

The default CM one will be ok.... maybe something in the 500W range if you want some headroom. Pity they don't do the lower Corsair models tbh. £85 for the Corsair 750W is a fair chunk of change for something that is overkill. If you're worried about power consumption get the Radeon 4890 instead of the GTX275 as it's as fast/faster and eats around 25W less under load (although its idle is 25W higher... but that doesn't matter).

Possibly 1066MHz DDR2 is worth it for a tenner... maybe, maybe not... no big deal. Prolly not tbh :P

You may want to reconsider the CPU too. You're really paying for very little... 333MHz extra is a complete irrelevance in performance terms, and these things all overclock well over 3GHz anyway... sometimes up to 4GHz. The higher models do have a bit more L2 cache... the 9550 is 26quid more than the 9400.. maybe worth it, maybe not. Makes very little difference tbh. Here is a value vs average performance chart - the ideal CPU would be on the top left, the worst on the bottom right. The Q9400/9550 are good value (the latter a bit less so), but you get into diminishing returns tbh. I mean.. you could even just bung an E8400 in which overclock even better and are great value if you shove them up to 4GHz... but the Q9400 was so close in price I just chose that first tbh. Q9400 or Q9550 would be best I think.

Onboard LAN is fine.

Audio... hmmm. Do you have a speaker setup that warrants spending a decent sum on a soundcard? The cheaper cards are pointless over modern onboard solutions too.

What further complicates things is that Vista's audio stack has completely changed. Without getting into detail, basically EAX no longer works in Vista (and W7), which removes the main reason to get a discrete audio card. Now, EAX does work on creative cards if you install this thing called Alchemy, but its buggy and doesn't support all games. ASUS have their own range of cards now called the Xonar which actually use the Oxygen3D chip which is on many motherboards. The implementation is very good though, and they can reproduce EAX5 on all games without Alchemy.

The best Xifi card is not actually made by creative either, but is the auzen xifi prelude.

Xonar vs Prelude in Vista - awesome article. However even the above may no longer be accurate since the EAX support on the Xonar's has changed due to a license expiry (Explained in this review)

Basically it isn't worth getting a soundcard unless you get one of the good ones for £60/70 quid, you'll need good speakers to go with it and even then there are problems on Vista and W7. I can't play Fallout3 on Vista or W7 with my XiFi for example because there is a known issue (unresolved since the game's release) where the sound continually stutters... and it ain't the only one.

Stick with the onboard tbh.

Or you could even go for an i7 rig for £900 :D Prolly not worth it since i5 is due soon.

I haven't actually had any dealings with Cyberpower personally... they just look like one of the better options around tbh. When you look at their component selection it's all the sort of good gear you'd expect, not the weird random shite on oc'ers

Postby sacs on Thu Jun 11, 2009 8:26 pm

sacs
Forum Regular
Brimful of Baby Batter

http://www.cyberpowersystem.co.uk/savin ... ?id=143952

This looks exactly what I want to be honest,the i7 rig minus Windows Vista! £836 seems ok. Not really interested in overclocking it etc...

Wont bother with a soundcard then, only going to play games / watch films on it.

i5 being due well couldn't I spend all year waiting for the next piece to come out thats a bit better? Plus based on that graph first jump to i7 looks good performance vs value.

--------------------

* *BASE_PRICE: [+630]
* CAS: Coolermaster Elite 330 Mid Tower 420W Black [+4]
* CASUPGRADE: NONE
* CS_FAN: Default Case Fan
* POWERSUPPLY: 580 Watts Power Supplies [+32] (Hiper Type-M SLI/Crossfire Ready 580 Watt Power Supply)
* CPU: (Quad-Core)Intel® Core™ i7 920 @ 2.66GHz 8 MB cache LGA1366 ***Overclockable XXX***
* OVERCLOCK: No Overclocking
* FAN: INTEL LGA1366 CERTIFIED CPU FAN & HEATSINK
* MOTHERBOARD: Asus P6T SE Intel X58 Chipset CrossFireX Mainboard Triple-Channel DDR3/1600 SATA RAID w/ eSATA,GbLAN,USB2.0,IEEE1394a,&7.1Audio ***Overclockable XXX*** [+8]
* MEMORY: 6GB (3x2GB) PC10666 DDR3/1333mhz Triple Channel Memory [+30] (Corsair XMS3 w/Heat Spreader ***Overclockable XXX*** [+15])
* PS_VGA: NONE
* VIDEO: ATI Radeon HD 4890 PCI-E x16 1GB DDR5 Video Card [+78]
* VIDEO2: NONE
* VIDEO3: NONE
* MONITOR: NONE
* MONITOR2: NONE
* HDD: Single Hard Drive (500GB SATA-II 3.0Gb/s 16MB Cache 7200RPM HDD)
* HDD2: NONE
* FA_HDD: None
* CD: (Special Price) LG 22X DVD±R/±RW + CD-R/RW DRIVE DUAL LAYER (Black Color)
* CD2: NONE
* SOUND: HIGH DEFINITION ON-BOARD 7.1 AUDIO
* SPEAKERS: NONE
* NETWORK: ONBOARD 10/100 NETWORK CARD
* MODEM: NONE
* KEYBOARD: NONE
* MOUSE: NONE
* TEMP: NONE (AS SHOWN)
* WNC: NONE
* WAP: NONE
* FLASHMEDIA: None
* PRO_WIRING: None
* CABLE: None
* WEBCAM: NONE
* UPS: None
* IEEE_CARD: NONE
* USB: Built-in USB 2.0 Ports
* USBHD: NONE
* FLOPPY: NONE
* OS: NONE - FORMAT HARD DRIVE ONLY(NO OVERCLOCKING AVALIABLE) [-70]
* TVRC: NONE
* RUSH: NONE
* WARRANTY: STANDARD WARRANTY: 3-YEAR LIMITED WARRANTY PLUS LIFE-TIME TECHNICAL SUPPORT
* HOMEINSTALL: NONE
* _PRICE: (+727)

Postby larchy on Thu Jun 11, 2009 8:41 pm

larchy
Site Admin
R2 where are you?

The i920 is really good if you've got the cash, the only real decent value i7, tons of power :D

Odd they don't have the 275 as an option on that rig!

Postby Cacker on Fri Jun 12, 2009 1:12 pm

Cacker
Site Admin
4th floor ponce

steamID: Cacker
PSN: Cacker67
antispam1: No
erk .. shouldn't you opt for the elite case without with 420W PSU ? seeing as you opted for your own 580W unit ?
/Chairs

Cacker

Postby larchy on Fri Jun 12, 2009 4:16 pm

larchy
Site Admin
R2 where are you?

Well the PSU is an upgrade price m8

Previous