Re: Component reference 08/04/09

Postby larchy on Thu Apr 30, 2009 11:12 am

larchy
Site Admin
R2 where are you?

steamID: larchy
antispam1: Yes
orientation: Yes
I should clarify my post above... the RC keys are the same as the Beta keys, but the Beta will stop working sooner.

Postby Mister666 on Fri May 01, 2009 3:15 pm

Mister666
Forum Guru
tabard

steamID: Sixxor
PSN: Sixxor
Xbox Live: Sixxor
AKA: Sixxor/Sixxor666
Twitter: @DonkeyBadger
orientation: No
Battle.Net ID: Sixxor#2147
Sweet, got a copy of Vista SP2 RC from work and a copy of Windows 7 x64 RC downloading. :D

Postby larchy on Sat May 02, 2009 7:47 am

larchy
Site Admin
R2 where are you?

lol MSDN is getting raped

x86-64 Windows 7 Ultimate RC1 build 7100

SHA1 and MD5 are the same as the MSDN ISO

Postby DrKazza on Tue May 05, 2009 3:56 am

DrKazza
Pinball Wizard

steamID: DrKazza
antispam1: No
Got a little bit of advice for anyone thinking of taking the plunge with an SSD...

try to scrape together the cash to get one bigger than 30Gb. I've got a 30Gb and have vista installed, but with all the shit that's on the vista installation i've got only about 10Gb free. This means that when I tried to update to Win 7 I needed 16 free to do the installation so I have to start again with a fresh one... not the end of the world but a ballache nonetheless.

Anyway I have to say that the SSD is BLOODY amazing... i went for your advice and got one of the newer OCZ Vertex ones, they're the same as the Apex but without that dodgy jmicron controller that you warned against.

If anyone's got a bit of cash to splash and is very bored of 5 minute boot times then get an SSD you'll be super impressed.

Kaz
That's The REVEREND Dr. Kazza to you.

Postby larchy on Tue May 05, 2009 8:16 am

larchy
Site Admin
R2 where are you?

Yeah the Indilinx Vertex ones are pretty good... not as good as the Intel drives, but they're no slouches... they're the closest competition Intel have right now.

Do make sure to check the firmware version though - details here on the different versions, the huge performance increases witht he newest firmware, and the firmwares to steer clear of because they cause irrevocable data loss :E Par for the course for anything with an OCZ label on it though.

I've been eyeing up an X25-M since they're around for under £300... not really vastly more than a velociraptor.

Postby DrKazza on Tue May 05, 2009 8:56 am

DrKazza
Pinball Wizard

I'm sure it'd kick the velociraptor's platters.... go on give it a try... alternatively check out the new Samsungs that are about to hit the markets... they seem to get some glowing reviews, 64gb for 150 quid, that's nearly half the price per gig vs the X25-M

Postby larchy on Tue May 05, 2009 9:10 am

larchy
Site Admin
R2 where are you?

I have been hearing about those Samsung MLCs for a few months ... but never could find what controllers they use. Any idea?

They're all too new and untested right now so far as I'm concerned though. Every drive bar Intel's has had some sort of non-trivial problem, and even the X25's have required firmware updates to fix some odd performance problems that emerge over time.

Noone has any idea how long they're really going to last either, nor of the failure characteristics when they do go.

Too unreliable unless randomly losing your main OS is not going to be an issue.

Well... that's a bit overstated, but you get my point :P

Postby DrKazza on Tue May 05, 2009 9:28 am

DrKazza
Pinball Wizard

I've done a fair bit of digging and the Samsungs have got their own inhouse controller, which as far as I can tell from reviews works fine (i.e. no problems a la jmicron)

Tom's hardware (No I promise I'm not paid by them) did a Samsung vs Intel M and E test about a week ago
http://www.tomshardware.co.uk/ssd-perfo ... 31565.html
the test is aimed at comparing large data handling and the Intel wins out but with the proviso that the M series needs a firmware update to make sure it works at its best.

these are also a couple nice reviews
Samsung & Solidata
http://www.tomshardware.co.uk/256gb-sam ... 31568.html

looks like the samsung PB22-J may only be available to OEM retail.

and a few months ago they did a 6 disc shootout that intel wins
http://www.tomshardware.com/reviews/ssd ... ,2127.html

In the end, none of the new drives was really impressive. They all have significant weaknesses: usually either low I/O performance, poor write throughput or unacceptable power consumption. The best consumer drive still is Intel’s X25-M flash SSD, and if you’re looking for maximum efficiency, you still have to go for the Samsung or OCZ’s SATA II performance series. Some of the drives here may be alternatives for specific applications, but at this point we still recommend being careful with low-cost drives, as they may not live up to expectations.

Postby larchy on Tue May 05, 2009 9:58 am

larchy
Site Admin
R2 where are you?

The real difference with the Intel drives is the Flash Translation Layer algorithm rather than the controller (despite the Intel controller having more channels and whatnot). Intel's development resources in this sort of area are just so overwhelming that I doubt any SSD is going to ever match them regardless of controller.

Real interesting articles though (especially the greater SSD power consumption figures), cheers... there are so many different SSD brands popping up it's hard to know what's what, although they mostly just all seem to be very similar clones of each other.

Adata showed off some SSDs at Cebit, and they were just the Intel drives with an Adata sticker on (they still had an Intel logo on too)... so was looking forward to seeing if they might be a cheaper rebranded X25-M, but haven't seen anything of them since.

Also, just looked at my OS drive and (my 2day old) Windows+Steam+Photoshop+a couple of other work apps I need are chomping 75GB D:

Oh, and W7 RC1 is public today

Much bandwidth rapeage

Postby DrKazza on Tue May 05, 2009 10:25 am

DrKazza
Pinball Wizard

is it identical to the torrent you posted?

Postby Cacker on Tue May 05, 2009 10:42 am

Cacker
Site Admin
4th floor ponce

steamID: Cacker
PSN: Cacker67
well, w7rc1 downloaded for me no probs in about 30 mins, avg transfer rate 1.64 MB/s :E

now, where to install it :/
/Chairs

Cacker

Postby larchy on Tue May 05, 2009 12:36 pm

larchy
Site Admin
R2 where are you?

The torrent I posted was for the 64bit version, and that is the legit image yes. If the MS download is slow (may or may not be) then the torrent could be an alternative.

Postby larchy on Tue May 05, 2009 1:52 pm

larchy
Site Admin
R2 where are you?

Remember those Gigabyte I-RAM drives from a few years back? You filled them up with DDR and could use them as a fast disk, but the implementation was typically gigabyte (ie poor)

There are an increasing number of hybrid drives appearing now, offering a similar performance boost from being made of of DRAM but with flash memory on there too for non-volatile storage when powered off.

A couple are shown off here alongside an X25-M and velociraptor.

A few companies, such as OCZ, also have PCI-E SSD drives/cards with crazy RAID configs for really mega performance (and mega price too).

Wouldn't be surprised if the future of desktop drives is some sort of SSD PCI-E card, since current SSDs are already maxing SATA300

Postby larchy on Wed May 20, 2009 10:40 am

larchy
Site Admin
R2 where are you?

Roundup of 6 of the best current SSDs

Intel, Samsung and Corsair come out on top... my, never would have expected that! :rolleyes:

OCZ are flogging some new drives with a Samsung controller. They're calling them 'Summit', presumably because they couldn't think up a name and had an angsty manager shouting at them to "think of summit now!"

Postby DrKazza on Wed May 20, 2009 11:08 am

DrKazza
Pinball Wizard

Interesting bit in there about drive performance degradation... looks like TRIM on W7 when it's implemented will fix it.

I think the bottom line is to only use Windows 7 if you're going to use a SSD on a windows system

{edit: never realised how fast the velociraptors were... they only get properly toasted on random access time and power consumption}

Postby larchy on Wed May 20, 2009 12:04 pm

larchy
Site Admin
R2 where are you?

Yeah, even the 320GB 7200rpm they tested (which I think is a single platter WD6400AAKS) is hardly lightyears away in most tests (and tops the Windows boot time test by fractions).

The SSDs annihilate traditional drives in a whole load of synthetic tests, but real-world tests are are mixed bag. I'd be pretty pissed off tbh if I'd paid a few hundred quid for a small ~100GB or so SSD and it was barely faster in actual use than a 50 quid drive 6 times the size.

Postby larchy on Wed May 27, 2009 8:14 am

larchy
Site Admin
R2 where are you?

Another new SSD article, this time with some comparisons of new vs used performance. The second page is just about initial setup and doesn't really add anything not already known though... possibly apart from the finding that partition alignment is actually of zero importance according to the SSD mfgs, which is the exact opposite of what Microsoft say :rolleyes:

Postby larchy on Fri May 29, 2009 3:42 pm

larchy
Site Admin
R2 where are you?

Ebuyer have the Corsair S128 128GB SSD for £170

It uses the Samsung controller and it's stated read/write speeds are pretty modest compared with other SSDs. It's still much faster than a traditional HDD though, and is getting toward price parity with the raptors. Seems like a pretty good buy for anyone looking for a decent value SSD.

Postby larchy on Tue Jun 02, 2009 4:54 pm

larchy
Site Admin
R2 where are you?

Added new Athlon X2 250 & Phenom II X2 550 CPUs (stonkingly good value)!

Added a guesstimate of where Lynnfield fits in.

Postby Quinnbeast on Thu Jul 09, 2009 12:32 am

Quinnbeast
Forum Guru
Internet Hitler says Noooooooo

Very quick question:

Asus P5PE-VM board. Supports bog-standard SATA on paper. Looking to bung in a WD 500/640GB SATA II drive.

Yes or no will do?

i.e. do I smell a vague hint of possibly-not-quite-backwards-compatible?

PreviousNext

Return to Technical Support