Canon 5D MK III

A combined home for all your photography and photoshop posts. Also the home to the photoshop challenge!

Canon 5D MK III

Postby Klors on Mon Mar 26, 2012 2:03 pm

Klors
Forum Guru
Would fuck the antichrist

I got myself one of these bad-boys at the weekend and I have to say I am suitably impressed. I never did go for the MK II because of the "poor" autofocus and speed (for birding), and skipped the 7D because I really wanted a full-frame... this seems to have been the thing I was waiting for.

Spent a little time doing some macros (unfortunately before I'd checked the image type I was saving to, so they're JPGs, fooey) and chasing some tiny birds around. It did both admirably, but I'm still getting used to its controls and options.

The shutter noise is strange.

Coming from my 20D though, its pretty darn sweet. I'll see if I've managed to get any pics worth sharing when I get home.

(Ok, almost forgot, they aren't sexy but just a couple of quickies)

A macro crop, make sure you look at it full size! (The weird line seems to be an artifact from the FTP transfer)
Ladybird

Full size image
Greylag Goose
Last edited by Klors on Tue Mar 27, 2012 12:06 am, edited 3 times in total.
Klors Trofobik

Re: Canon 5D MK III

Postby DrKazza on Mon Mar 26, 2012 3:42 pm

DrKazza
Pinball Wizard

steamID: DrKazza
antispam1: No
orientation: Yes
just seen someone with a Nikon camera... looked amazing it's the 1 j1 or something like that, a pretty awesome fit between shit portable and overkill slr
That's The REVEREND Dr. Kazza to you.

Postby Klors on Mon Mar 26, 2012 6:00 pm

Klors
Forum Guru

Yeah, there's been a few mirrorless bodies popping up with interchangeable lenses (yay, more mount types). Though I don't think they all seem to be intended for the same consumers as the specs vary quite a bit. Canon have yet to bring one in and there's been much speculation about when/if they'll do so what form it will take.
Klors Trofobik

Postby Klors on Tue Mar 27, 2012 12:07 am

Klors
Forum Guru

Posted a couple of random pics.
Klors Trofobik

Postby TK421 on Tue Mar 27, 2012 6:13 am

TK421
Site Admin
You're the best thread of 2013

NO NO NO NO NO NO NO!

I am happy with my MKII I am happy with my MKII I am happy with my MKII I am happy with my MKII I am happy with my MKII I am happy with my MKII I am happy with my MKII I am happy with my MKII I am happy with my MKII I am happy with my MKII I am happy with my MKII I am happy with my MKII I am happy with my MKII I am happy with my MKII I am happy with my MKII I am happy with my MKII I am happy with my MKII I am happy with my MKII I am happy with my MKII I am happy with my MKII I am happy with my MKII

Postby Klors on Tue Mar 27, 2012 5:37 pm

Klors
Forum Guru

Hehe, the sensor is a new one, but it's pretty much the same resolution. There should be a little improvement in IQ, but the main thing is the 2 stops of ISO it brings. That and the 61 point AF system from the 1D X (but without one of the processors).

Mostly though it's very similar and (afaik) unless you're into fast sports, wildlife or shooting in the semi-dark then there's not a massive difference between them.
Klors Trofobik

Postby Tonster on Wed Mar 28, 2012 12:41 pm

Tonster
Not Twisted, Toothpick or Tuff

steamID: MartianLM
Battle.Net ID: MartianLM#2136
Frankly I'm laughing at TKs pitiful betamax dinosaur of a camera. We all know who'll be getting all the hot chicks between you two now...

Postby Klors on Wed Mar 28, 2012 1:31 pm

Klors
Forum Guru

Hehe

Oh and it has an SD card slot as well as the CF so you can duplicate to both, roll over when one's full or do one format to one and another to the other. But... the SD card slot isn't as fast as the CF card slot so it's (apparently) not worth getting an SD card faster than 45MB/s. This also means if you try and do RAW to both it could be considerably slower than doing RAW to the CF.

Stated shutter speed is up to 6 shots/sec with the buffer able to handle an 18 shot burst in full RAW on one of the uber 128 GB Sandisk Extreme Pro 100 MB/s CF cards (£700, bargain!), 13 on mere mortal CF cards.

I ordered a couple of these (though they were only 12.99 a couple of days ago) to try out writing RAW to the CF and a medium size JPG to the SD as Lightroom can't yet process the 5D mk III 's RAW files. So I can bung the JPGs in Lightroom and then fire up DPP if I need one editing / at higher quality.
http://www.play.com/Electronics/Electro ... oduct.html
Klors Trofobik

Postby Karver on Tue May 08, 2012 9:45 pm

Karver
Site Admin
Bricktop. Smooth underside.

PSN: virtualkev
AKA: Karve
antispam1: Yes
orientation: No
TK421 wrote:NO NO NO NO NO NO NO!

I am happy with my MKII I am happy with my MKII I am happy with my MKII I am happy with my MKII I am happy with my MKII I am happy with my MKII I am happy with my MKII I am happy with my MKII I am happy with my MKII I am happy with my MKII I am happy with my MKII I am happy with my MKII I am happy with my MKII I am happy with my MKII I am happy with my MKII I am happy with my MKII I am happy with my MKII I am happy with my MKII I am happy with my MKII I am happy with my MKII I am happy with my MKII

I sense some denial, but I think when Klors swings his bag, and the chicks see a stunning Mk III peeping out, you'll be feeling like you need to go work in the antartic again, away from hot people.
The sooner you get behind, the longer you have to catch up.

Postby LSM on Wed May 09, 2012 8:17 pm

LSM
Forum Bicycle
Lazy Space Monkey

steamID: LSM
PSN: messele
AKA: Lt. Sex Machine
Twitter: messele
What a bunch of cants, especially Bricktop.

Gotta say they are right though, hope you enjoy those solitary nights in with a pot noodle and a jar of swarfega.

Return to Photography & Photoshop