Personal enlargement supplies.

A combined home for all your photography and photoshop posts. Also the home to the photoshop challenge!

Personal enlargement supplies.

Postby Karver on Thu Dec 22, 2011 3:41 pm

Karver
Site Admin
Bricktop. Smooth underside.

PSN: virtualkev
AKA: Karve
antispam1: Yes
orientation: No
Righty, looking for a new lens, as I've been sent so many emails on length and enlargement that I now feel inadequate.

Several issues abound here, most notably my tight assed budget (hey, I only take about 100 pics a year lol)

18-55 I find a bit "short" when on walkabout.
I don't print billboard sized images
I don't inspect every damn pixel in an image and hardly ever blow anything up massively.
I probably wouldn't notice CA even if it came up and nicked my wallet.

I've been looking at the following options and am wondering if anyone here has any notable comments on them.
1) canon 15-85 IS USM
2) canon 18-135 IS
3) Tamron 18-200 (lots of crap here DI II etc)

I'm picky in a way about what little quality I will get from such cheap assedness, but at the same time, wish to remain cheap, while retaining relatively good resale value.

L is not an option no matter which way I scour ebay. anything much over 200 quid isn't an option either due to what little useage it gets.

Thanking you wisened persons muchly in advance.
The sooner you get behind, the longer you have to catch up.

Re: Personal enlargement supplies.

Postby Klors on Tue Dec 27, 2011 4:04 pm

Klors
Forum Guru
Would fuck the antichrist

I'd be tempted to stick with canon, my one trip outside of the brand to sigma was met with such a sloooooooooooooow focus that the lens was all but useless.

YMMV though so if you can find a shop with actual real examples to try, that's the best way.
Klors Trofobik

Postby lacutis on Fri Jan 06, 2012 11:54 am

lacutis
Forum Newbie

orientation: Yes
Sigma has QA issues anyway so if you're going to buy one, goto a shop and try it first, never buy a Sigma online.

The Canon 55-250 can be had for £150ish and is good for the money if you're ok swapping lenses. If not then go for the 18-135 Canon.

Postby Karver on Tue Aug 28, 2012 4:16 pm

Karver
Site Admin
Bricktop. Smooth underside.

PSN: virtualkev
AKA: Karve
orientation: No
Oh. I went for the Canon 18-200 in the end, very nice walkabout lens, shite if you study the pics up close, a bit iffy in low light and generally damn heavy.

For me, its good, although I am left feeling that it's like owning a Porsche but still wanting a Lambo.
The sooner you get behind, the longer you have to catch up.

Postby Twisted on Thu Aug 29, 2013 10:43 pm

Twisted
Forum Guru
The Barbarian Genocide

steamID: Litation
Xbox Live: Litation
orientation: Yes
lacutis wrote:Sigma has QA issues anyway so if you're going to buy one, goto a shop and try it first, never buy a Sigma online.

I've never had a problem with sigma lenses on my Nikon D700, I even use the aptly nicknamed Bigma (50-500) most of the time these days as while its not an extortionately priced (cost me £800 down from £1000) uber high quality lens for what you get for I think its a nice versatile lens if a little on the weighty side.

I would say with ANY lens to try it out first if you can even if its less than hundred of your human squids because you never know what any lens is going to be like till you've taken at least 4 pictures of the inside of your lens cap and a further 10 of your shoe/leg. I actually order all my lenses through amazon these days as they seem to be cheaper than getting them from normal places as well as most have Prime delivery (if you use prime) so you can have it next day delivery for freeeeeeee!!!
Just because I don't care doesn't mean I don't understand.

Physical rape is psychological Murder.

Return to Photography & Photoshop