Compact vs DSLR speeds

A combined home for all your photography and photoshop posts. Also the home to the photoshop challenge!

Compact vs DSLR speeds

Postby Tonster on Wed Apr 27, 2011 4:42 pm

Tonster
Not Twisted, Toothpick or Tuff

steamID: MartianLM
antispam1: No
orientation: Yes
Battle.Net ID: MartianLM#2136
Is it possible to get a compact camera with speeds that match a DSLR? By 'speeds' I mean when you press the shutter button it just takes the damn picture and doesn't wait for half an hour while it phones its mother to debate whether it's going to shoot or not. Particularly when indoors, it drives me mad with compacts.

With kids you either take the shot there and then or you miss the moment, which is what is frustrating wifey with our current compact, and every other one we've used. DSLRs - takes no time at all but doesn't exactly fit in your pocket or handbag. I've had a DSLR for so long I know nothing about what modern compacts are like though.

Re: Compact vs DSLR speeds

Postby LSM on Wed Apr 27, 2011 7:03 pm

LSM
Forum Bicycle
Lazy Space Monkey

steamID: LSM
PSN: messele
AKA: Lt. Sex Machine
Twitter: messele
Do the compacts that you are talking about have a shutter button that does all the lengthy focussing etc. on the half-press of the button like DSLRs do? That is one feature that compacts ought to carry.

Postby Tonster on Thu Apr 28, 2011 12:54 pm

Tonster

Yes I think so, been a long time since I actually used one though.

I know the compacts do a lot of pre shot shenannigans like pre-flash anti red eye, face recognition, dark matter deep space analysis etc which all adds to shutter lag overhead. Some can be switched off to make it faster, but not enough in my limited experience.

I just want to buy a new compact which doesn't have the shutter lag, but don't want to buy one in the hope it might be an improvement over my current, admittedly ageing, Canon Powershot A60 (2003) as that's the only real issue with it.

Postby Karver on Fri Apr 29, 2011 9:11 am

Karver
Site Admin
Bricktop. Smooth underside.

PSN: virtualkev
AKA: Karve
antispam1: Yes
orientation: No
Are you using a class 4 or higher SDHC card (presuming thats what it takes, these can be bitchass slow and can make the capture process very lengthy).
The sooner you get behind, the longer you have to catch up.

Postby Klors on Sat Apr 30, 2011 7:04 am

Klors
Forum Guru
Would fuck the antichrist

Would have thought that would just affect recycle time, rather than press-to-shutter time?

If the card is slow, the image will be taken from the buffer to the storage slowly, but it's already been captured and taken before buffer transfer speeds are an issue. Just means you can't take the next picture till the buffer is freed.
Klors Trofobik

Postby TK421 on Sat Apr 30, 2011 9:25 am

TK421
Site Admin
You're the best thread of 2013

This is what you want Tons, a handy shutter lag table. Looks like the coolpix is the fastest.

http://www.cameras.co.uk/html/shutter-l ... risons.cfm

Postby Tonster on Mon May 02, 2011 9:08 pm

Tonster

w00t, the forums are back!

Nice list cheers teeks, gonna research a load of those. The Sony DSC TX1 one looks decent (but I need to do more reading).

No idea what type of compact Flash card it's using Karver, label came off, was a decent make though.

Postby Karver on Tue May 03, 2011 10:30 am

Karver
Site Admin
Bricktop. Smooth underside.

PSN: virtualkev
AKA: Karve
antispam1: Yes
orientation: No
The fuji S2500HD was prettymuch near enough, with face recognition, blink detection etc etc all off it was certainly worth teh effort, with it all on it didn't slow down too much and did a nice job on pix. It wasn't particularly compact though. - Saying that a 18x optical zoom is quite nice. At .039 seconds, you have to be pretty damn quick to find that lag slow. - sample pics in another post by me on this forum.
The sooner you get behind, the longer you have to catch up.

Return to Photography & Photoshop