Cheapo studio lighting kit

A combined home for all your photography and photoshop posts. Also the home to the photoshop challenge!

Cheapo studio lighting kit

Postby Tonster on Mon Apr 19, 2010 1:29 pm

Tonster
Not Twisted, Toothpick or Tuff

steamID: MartianLM
antispam1: No
orientation: Yes
Battle.Net ID: MartianLM#2136
In case anyone's interested I've been looking around for a home flash lighting kit, something light, cheap and n00b friendly.

I came across this 2 head lighting kit for a mere £120 which is a bargain in this arena. Yes you get what you pay for, and what I want is something to mess about with that if I want to replace with 'proper' kit later on I won't feel too aggrieved at having spent a chunk of the mortgage on.

Also will get the PhotoSEL backdrop holding plus black and white cloths.
http://www.amazon.co.uk/PhotoSEL-BS-103 ... B002JCE7KQ
http://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B002HFKJWK
http://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B002HS4XKQ

Total cost around £270 for a complete home studio kit. Just thought I'd share the wealth in case anyone else was interested in this sort of thing :)

Re: Cheapo studio lighting kit

Postby Klors on Mon Apr 19, 2010 1:48 pm

Klors
Forum Guru
Would fuck the antichrist

Ooh, let me know how they shape up mate, if you would. I've often looked at bits and bobs but was never confident I knew what I needed enough to actually splash the sort of cash I was seeing stuff for.
Klors Trofobik

Postby Cacker on Mon Apr 19, 2010 3:41 pm

Cacker
Site Admin
4th floor ponce

steamID: Cacker
PSN: Cacker67
Have been thinking along these lines too (getting some cheapo lighting).

I've been meaning to take my daughters folio photographs instead of being charged multiple apendages for some head & shoulder shots. With the kit I can update the shots and variety whenever without extra charge :E

I don't think i'll be going for black and white backdrops though, might go for the tie dyed blue muslin (DAYSUN, $29.99).
/Chairs

Cacker

Postby Cacker on Thu Apr 22, 2010 10:24 am

Cacker
Site Admin
4th floor ponce

Lighting rig has arrived and for home use I'd say it's pretty good for the £108. The softbox housing produced a few swear words putting it together but once I worked out what to do, it was okay. Bulbs are huge and at 85w it was alot brighter than I expected, which is silly, because it's purpose is to be bright and light up things, so stupid me.

The stands are aluminium and quite solid. All the components pack into a supplied carrier bag and each bulb comes in it's own polystyrene packaging, which is worth keeping when packing away back into the bag.

Didn't get the BS-103 as it was out of stock, so went for the BS-105 @ £68.

Just waiting for the backdrop to arrive and then shall do some failphotographs.
/Chairs

Cacker

Postby Tonster on Thu Apr 22, 2010 12:41 pm

Tonster
Not Twisted, Toothpick or Tuff

steamID: MartianLM
Battle.Net ID: MartianLM#2136
First parcel of mine has arrived this morning, don't know which piece yet. Waiting for it all to arrive and then I'll proceed to break it. BS-103 was indeed out of stock but I wrote to them to ask if/when they were restocking and they replied within the hour saying they were just waiting for Amazon to put the stock into their system, so 1-2 days. So I waited for that before ordering it all.

I hope to be coralling family members and passing drunks into modelling for me over the weekend :E

Also made the plunge and finally shelled out for 3 hoods for my lenses, extortionately expensive for what they are.

-------
[edit]Just unpacked what turned out to be the BS-103 backdrop stand. Suddenly realised just how big 3 metres really is in a medium sized house :P What I I hadn't appreciated is that the width is not adjustable which is a pain. Not adjustable that is until I drill several more holes in it! I think I'll also buy some metal poles I can cut to shorter lengths.

The bag is decent... and huge! Should be able to fit all the lighting kit in there perhaps. And me.

Postby Cacker on Thu Apr 22, 2010 8:30 pm

Cacker
Site Admin
4th floor ponce

Hah ! the BS-104 is adjustable ... 3m, 2.5m, 2m, or 1.5m. Yes, by golly, 3m is just stupidly long. I had the urge to take a run up and do a frosby flop.

The bag is huge, i managed to get the family in there too which is a bonus.

The backdrop arrived today too, blue tyedyed, looks great.

All in all, bloody good value for the moneh.
/Chairs

Cacker

Return to Photography & Photoshop