TestFreaks best DSLRs of 2009

A combined home for all your photography and photoshop posts. Also the home to the photoshop challenge!

TestFreaks best DSLRs of 2009

Postby larchy on Sun Jan 10, 2010 9:51 am

larchy
Site Admin
R2 where are you?

steamID: larchy
antispam1: Yes
orientation: Yes
Roundup here that might be useful for anyone wondering what's decent amongst current models.

Re: TestFreaks best DSLRs of 2009

Postby LSM on Sun Jan 10, 2010 12:16 pm

LSM
Forum Bicycle
Lazy Space Monkey

steamID: LSM
PSN: messele
AKA: Lt. Sex Machine
Twitter: messele
How did they manage to award a camera a perfect score of 10/10 then list a bunch of improvements that could be made. Your logic is deniable, TestFreaks.

Must admit to being tempted by the 7D however.

Postby Promac on Sun Jan 10, 2010 12:54 pm

Promac
Forum Regular
aka fuck this lark

antispam1: No
Precious....

Postby Tonster on Mon Apr 19, 2010 1:27 pm

Tonster
Not Twisted, Toothpick or Tuff

steamID: MartianLM
Battle.Net ID: MartianLM#2136
LSM wrote:Must admit to being tempted by the 7D however.

My dad just bought one of those, I had a quick play with it at the weekend (someone needs to show him how anything other than 'auto' mode works after all :P). Nice bit of kit and coupled with his F1.4 50mm lens it made shooting in poor indoor light a breeze. My 400D would easily have needed a flash in the conditions, but setting the 7D to ISO 6400 and shooting wide open meant no flash was needed. That said some of the shots were noticably grainy when viewed on a monitor, not yet tried printing them, but some were also very clear, I'm not sure what the difference in how I shot them was.

It's got some fancy arse focal point system which threw me at first, can't say I really got the hang of it but it looked spinkee, invisible until you half depress the shutter button and then the screen lights up like a space ship.

I tried the rear display level indicator which I found to be no use at all, as if you're looking through the view finder you can't see it. Useful only for tripod based set up shots I think where you have time to use it.

It's the first time I've had my hands on a camera with Live-view which was great for shooting video, but somehow felt wrong when shooting photos. That said it was great for thoose shots from the floor as it meant I didn't have to eat tarmac to do it. Video came out nicely though perhaps the colours seemed muted, and I had difficulty controlling the focal point effectively.

It felt utterly solid, very well built, and the only real upside to someone else getting a nice bit of kit was that I've now inherited his 30D \o/

Iwantoneiwantoneiwantone... well that or a 5D mark II anyway.

Postby Klors on Mon Apr 19, 2010 1:45 pm

Klors
Forum Guru
Would fuck the antichrist

How was the low-light autofocus?

I found that my exposure limits were far beyond the ability of the 20D to lock on with the f1.4 50mm with any reliability.
Klors Trofobik

Postby Tonster on Mon Apr 19, 2010 2:15 pm

Tonster
Not Twisted, Toothpick or Tuff

steamID: MartianLM
Battle.Net ID: MartianLM#2136
Autofocus was no problem at all, though bear in mind it was still light enough for non-flash photography. I don't know how well it would fare when flash is needed. I didn't notice any focus hunting beyond the norm.

Return to Photography & Photoshop