Photography website template - Wipe my botty!

A combined home for all your photography and photoshop posts. Also the home to the photoshop challenge!

Photography website template - Wipe my botty!

Postby Mongrel on Wed Sep 24, 2008 1:01 pm

Mongrel
Forum Guru
Wheres your forum ti... oh nm

antispam1: Yes
orientation: No
I'm in need of a good webby template to show off some of my pictures, can anyone recommend a good site with a range of customisable templates? I don't mind stumping up cash if I have to! :D
Rock out with your c*ck out!!

Re: Photography website template - Wipe my botty!

Postby Tonster on Wed Sep 24, 2008 1:18 pm

Tonster
Not Twisted, Toothpick or Tuff

steamID: MartianLM
antispam1: No
orientation: Yes
Battle.Net ID: MartianLM#2136
If you have Lightroom 2 and some hosting then LR2 can build you some really nice templates. Not sure about Lightroom 1. Hosting is dirt cheap, LR2 is £209 and that way you don't have to piss about too much with image size settings, catalogue set up etc. I've used a few types of hosting with a fancy image gallery built in, and they've all been problematic. LR2 was a breeze though, the main difference being it sits on your PC so can do all it's mucking about locally and therefore quicky. You just need to give it FTP details to your hosting. It just bypasses so much of the crap you normally get with online image gallery software configurations such as databases and the like.

Of the online stuff that I've used Gallery is the best I've found so far. You do need hosting of course, personally I use SurfSpeedy. Gallery comes as a built in package that you have the option of installing if you want (the SurfSpeedy CMT does it all for you). It's good, but it does take a LOT of working out to tweak exactly how you want it.

Not sure how/if LR2 handles password protected galleries, but you can always add protection on the gallery folders via the hosting CMT.

No I'm not on commission from Adobe :moon: But I built a gallery with over 1500 (low res) images using LR2 and it took me 5 minutes (literally). Any other piece of software I've used would have taken some hours.

It's also a superb image management and editing program to boot of course.

Hell, even PHPBB has gallery extensions, you might even be able to ask LSM to set up a gallery for you. If you don't like the Lolinternet address you can always buy your own and "web forward the domain in a window" so people only ever see your URL. That'll cost you all of a tenner plus kissing LSMs arse a bit.

If you want a bespoke solution I know a good guy who builds websites for a living, he could certainly knock you up something (http://www.ifour.co.uk), bespoke CMT included if you want. Tell him I sent you :E

Of course there's always Flickr and Smugmug. I'm told Flickr has the community and Smugmug has the customisation ability.

Postby Mongrel on Wed Sep 24, 2008 1:43 pm

Mongrel
Forum Guru
Wheres your forum ti... oh nm

antispam1: Yes
orientation: No
Doh! I never thought of Lightroom. I've had Lightroom 1.x for a while now but I think i'm entitled to a free upgrade to LR2 :happyhat: so i'll give it a go :) I've already got the domain name and storage so hopefully even I should be able to cope. Danke!! :alpen:
Rock out with your c*ck out!!

Postby Klors on Wed Feb 18, 2009 7:02 pm

Klors
Forum Guru
Would fuck the antichrist

Lightroom 2 is good as Tons said, it also has a pretty decent Flash based site that stops people nicking your photos as easily.
Klors Trofobik

Return to Photography & Photoshop