Canon 5d MK2

A combined home for all your photography and photoshop posts. Also the home to the photoshop challenge!

Canon 5d MK2

Postby TK421 on Thu Sep 18, 2008 10:28 am

TK421
Site Admin
You're the best thread of 2013

antispam1: No
orientation: Yes
http://www.canon.co.uk/For_Home/Product ... /index.asp

Ohh baby. I'm seriously tempted.

It's also a video camera btw @@

Re: Canon 5d MK2

Postby larchy on Thu Sep 18, 2008 10:48 am

larchy
Site Admin
R2 where are you?

steamID: larchy
antispam1: Yes
Anand have some info here

I wonder how it compares to the Sony A900 which failed to deliver video capability, and still doesn't have any waterproof lenses, and weird stuff like an MS slot ffs... but in other areas is really impressive.

Postby grumpeh on Thu Sep 18, 2008 11:30 am

grumpeh
Forum Regular

ISO 25600?! :eek:
Formulated and controlled by Laboratoire Grumpeh

Postby Tonster on Thu Sep 18, 2008 11:39 am

Tonster
Not Twisted, Toothpick or Tuff

steamID: MartianLM
Battle.Net ID: MartianLM#2136
I've spent the last couple of days reading about this, it seems Canon fanboys are disappointed that it doesn't have 'good enough AF' with only 9 (+6 hidden) AF points, a gimmicky marketing headline grabbing megapixel rating, a gimmicky marketing headline grabbing video capture mode, only 3.9 FPS shooting, and not full weather sealing.

The Nikon fanboys on the other hand are saying it's a nice camera well placed to not cannibalise Canon's high end 1 series. They're saying the price is astonishing for a full frame 21MP camera which puts it close to a medium format resolution (think £20k cameras), has video capture which might be useful in the right circumstances, and probably excellent low light image quality if the first version and Canon's track record are anything to go by. It's not much good as a sports shooter owing to the low FPS but then knowing that you'd buy a 50D or similar.

The truth is no-one's really seen it in action and so can only comment on specs written in black and white and can therefore only guess how good the 9 AF points are, and who reallly needs full weather sealing when most lenses don't have it anyway? Currently the Canon fanboy opinions are not very balanced and they're not ahppy because it doesn't do everything a fully pro DSLR does for half the price.

Canons are generally slightly ahead in image quality and Nikons are ahead in features for the price it seems. I think it's a decent looking camera with some nice features like face recognition and the Digic IV processor. Might be worth waiting a short while to be able to get proper reviews done rather just the previews that exist now.

You might also want to check out the new 50D that Canon have announced, looks pretty decent. ALso Photokina (the camera equivalent of E3) is at the end of the month and Canon have blown these two announcements before then, so who knows what they might have up their sleeve for that.

The good thing is the original 5D is now going to drop in price sharply, could be good for a Christmas bargain which will do 90% of enthusiasts just fine IMO.

Postby Mongrel on Thu Sep 18, 2008 12:02 pm

Mongrel
Forum Guru
Wheres your forum ti... oh nm

orientation: No
Tonster wrote:I've spent the last couple of days reading about this, it seems Canon fanboys are disappointed that it doesn't have 'good enough AF' with only 9 (+6 hidden) AF points, a gimmicky marketing headline grabbing megapixel rating, a gimmicky marketing headline grabbing video capture mode, only 3.9 FPS shooting, and not full weather sealing.

The Nikon fanboys on the other hand are saying it's a nice camera well placed to not cannibalise Canon's high end 1 series.

The Nikon fanboys are right :) It's a great camera for the price that they're asking, but if you need more then there are other camera's in Canon's repertoire that will fulfill your needs!

I was seriously tempted to buy a 1DS MKIII early next year because of the colour depth and resolution but the cheaper 5D MKII will now provide what I need.....mmmm new toy :)
Rock out with your c*ck out!!

Postby larchy on Thu Sep 18, 2008 12:05 pm

larchy
Site Admin
R2 where are you?

Tonster wrote:...a gimmicky marketing headline grabbing megapixel rating...

Well Sony have beaten them there!

Postby TK421 on Thu Sep 18, 2008 12:16 pm

TK421
Site Admin

I just want a full sensor. I dont like my 10mm being gimped by my 20D (omg that's ancient now)

Postby Tonster on Thu Sep 18, 2008 1:23 pm

Tonster

Mongrel wrote:The Nikon fanboys are right

I'm inclined to agree, far more balanced and open minded opinions. Many of the Canon folk seemed to expect a Nikon killer as opposed to a better 5D.

What gets my goat is the pricing for the UK, surprise surprise we're being ripped off again :evil:
From DPReview;
• US: $ 2,699
• EU: € 2,499
• UK: £ 2,299

Personally I want to get better lenses before I get a better camera, but when I do this will be near the top of the list.

Postby Tonster on Fri Sep 19, 2008 8:33 am

Tonster

grumpeh wrote:ISO 25600?! :eek:

Some test images a guy did here http://ulrikft.smugmug.com/gallery/6001915_WxHQA/1 Check the exif data to see the ISO of each image. Just watch out for this
i don't want to compare them, because the exposure doesn't look matched. the 5d pics look a little brighter and that means the exposure wasn't the same. not sure how exposure would really affect noise, but that doesn't match (i also know that if you brought down the exposure of the mark II pics in PP that would get rid of noise). also one was shot jpeg one was shot raw. until someone does a controlled side by side, i wouldn't compare them. both are pretty impressive though.

Apparently there are more here but I can't access Flickr at work http://www.flickr.com/photos/erikfive/2868119820/

Plenty of other stuff here http://photography-on-the.net/forum/sho ... p?t=570075 (98 page thread in 2 days :eek:, the Canon fanboys sure were anticipating this one! )

This also sounds like a useful feature;
you can continue to take still shots while shooting in movie mode

Postby Kiwi on Sat Sep 20, 2008 6:42 pm

Kiwi
Forum Bicycle

That pricing structure is utterly ludicrous. Just because its similar in numbers to the other two doesn't make it even with you take into account the exchange rate. Daft. Nice camera though.

Postby Tonster on Thu Sep 25, 2008 5:01 pm

Tonster

Just to continue on the UK rip-off theme, you can get the 5D mkII with 24-105 F4L (L series is Canon's best) from B&HPhoto in the US for £1900. In the UK the same kit is being sold for over three grand (over 50% more expensive ffs!).

It's also worth noting that B&H are a reputable dealer, ship internationally and that if HM Customs get their mitts on your item and slap a handling and tax charge on top it's still only going to be about 20% more (so you still save over £700). Oh and throw in the shipping charge (£40) an buying an adaptor for the 2 pin plug for good measure. I've also seen plenty of comments stating that Canon will honour the guarantee even if it's out of the guarantees region (but then I've seen others say the opposite :| ). Besides, worst come to the worst you can always ship it to the US for getting fixed if the unthinkable happens. Still gonna be cheaper.

Postby Tonster on Mon Sep 29, 2008 12:25 pm

Tonster

In case you haven't seen it it's well worth checking this out;
http://www.usa.canon.com/dlc/controller ... cleID=2086

Check out how clean the images are even at ISO 1600 & 3200 (my 400D looks far more grainy at 800, but then I've got cheap lenses too :( )
http://www.usa.canon.com/dlc/controller ... cleID=2128

Review of a beta model by a wedding photographer (lots of good good info on day to day use);
http://www.bebbblog.com/index.php?link=94&cat=7

IwantoneIwantoneIwantone

Postby TK421 on Mon Sep 29, 2008 3:24 pm

TK421
Site Admin

Sod it, I'm getting one. Gutted my EF-S lenses wont fit tho grrrr

Who wants a 20D?

Postby Tonster on Mon Sep 29, 2008 3:37 pm

Tonster

Price is dropping already, only £1800 (body only) from here
http://www.rgb-tech.co.uk/product/1679

That's more like it! Can't pre-oder though so the price may change before launch. Can pre-order it for £1,999 on Play.com though.

As someone on another forum pointed out, if you're disappointed with with the 3.9 FPS still shot rate, just capture in high res movie mode then grab an image off that, it will print just fine up to A4 which is good enough for most people. Alternatively actually taking a shot whilst filming takes a 1 second chunk out of your video.

Postby larchy on Tue Sep 30, 2008 12:41 pm

larchy
Site Admin
R2 where are you?

Tonster wrote:In case you haven't seen it it's well worth checking this out;
http://www.usa.canon.com/dlc/controller ... cleID=2086

Just thought I'd point out that while impressive, that video was shot with lenses costing in excess of £25k, a £5k lighting system and £5k on a professional production crew :P

And the video format is only quicktime h264? ewww :/ Still, really amazing for the price.

You're gonna have to let everyone know loads of details teeks! Vids & pics! :D

Postby Klors on Sun Apr 05, 2009 10:50 pm

Klors
Forum Guru
Would fuck the antichrist

Any feedback yet TK? Was looking at getting one over the weekend, but might wait till I go to the US in June. The dpreview of it and the 50D are interesting...

For what I generally tend to use it for I might be better off with the 1D MKIII, but I can't resist the urge to have a full frame camera for my wide-angle and nice pixel count for portrait work and landscapes. I suppose you could keep the 20D for fast shooting, telephoto work. But the only reason i think i'd actually do that is if the AF is really worse than the 20D for tracking a moving subject...
Klors Trofobik

Postby DrKazza on Mon Apr 06, 2009 12:48 am

DrKazza
Pinball Wizard

steamID: DrKazza
Teeks is on a boat on his way back from the land of ice and masturbation.

He won't be around for another few weeks I think
That's The REVEREND Dr. Kazza to you.

Postby Klors on Mon Apr 06, 2009 10:31 am

Klors
Forum Guru
Would fuck the antichrist

Aha, they've finally got wise to his charade of knowledge about all things communicationy have they and kicked him out?
Klors Trofobik

Postby Cacker on Wed Apr 15, 2009 1:19 pm

Cacker
Site Admin
4th floor ponce

steamID: Cacker
PSN: Cacker67
According to my post he flew in to angleterre sat march 28th.

he r in colchester in hiding, twiddling his thumbs wondering what to do, except in camera acquisition plans, of which he seems certain. he hasn't a case, and has only travelled some highways.
/Chairs

Cacker

Postby LSM on Wed Apr 15, 2009 4:56 pm

LSM
Forum Bicycle
Lazy Space Monkey

steamID: LSM
PSN: messele
AKA: Lt. Sex Machine
Twitter: messele
The damn Hobo never left the country!