Canon 5d MK2

A combined home for all your photography and photoshop posts. Also the home to the photoshop challenge!

Re: Canon 5d MK2

Postby TK421 on Thu Jun 18, 2009 6:44 am

TK421
Site Admin
You're the best thread of 2013

antispam1: No
orientation: Yes
Well I just bought it. I chose to go with the 24-105 L lens, and it only cost me 386,000 yen(2400 pounds - I'm in Japan at the mo). I fly out today though, so I wont get to use it here, which is a massive shame.

I'm in Abu Dhabi for a bit so I might get to use it there, but I doubt it tbh. I'll be in Africa in a few weeks and I plan on getting a 50mm Prime 1.2 L lens for some night shots, I'll post em here once I get my shit sorted.

This post is the biggest HEY GUYZ on the internet btw (I just spent 4 weeks in Thailand just to add some spunk on the top)

edit to add - Does anyone fancy buying my 10-22 EF-S Canon lens? It's good jaa

Postby DrKazza on Thu Jun 18, 2009 7:00 am

DrKazza
Pinball Wizard

steamID: DrKazza
YOU COCKCHOP.... I was in tokyo yesterday! If I'd have known I'd have met up with you

Kaz
That's The REVEREND Dr. Kazza to you.

Postby Klors on Fri Jun 26, 2009 10:04 pm

Klors
Forum Guru
Would fuck the antichrist

Let us know what you think of it m8y
Klors Trofobik

Postby Monie on Thu Dec 03, 2009 12:23 pm

Monie
Forum Bicycle
Grays...Sports...Almanac

Right, fuck it - i'm gonna get one i think.

This is no doubt a stupid question but with the different sized sensor to the 450D do i need a new set of lenses with it?

I know there's some reason i can't just get the body only...

Postby larchy on Thu Dec 03, 2009 12:46 pm

larchy
Site Admin
R2 where are you?

steamID: larchy
antispam1: Yes
It depends on the lenses. You won't strictly need new ones, but most likely the ones from your current camera will crop the picture so you won't get the full size out of the sensor when you take a pic... they'll still work fine apart from that though.

I'm hopefully getting one come springtime :D

Also, the kit for about £2300 IIRC comes with a decentish all purpose lens anyway.

Postby Monie on Thu Dec 03, 2009 12:55 pm

Monie
Forum Bicycle
Grays...Sports...Almanac

I'll be making use of the America for my purchase methinks.

Yea i'm thinking the kit lens is worth the extra.

Postby Klors on Thu Dec 03, 2009 2:16 pm

Klors
Forum Guru
Would fuck the antichrist

If you have any EF-S lenses I don't think they will work. You can tell the EF-S lenses as they have the white alignment dot on the connector rather than a red one.

My understanding is that the EF-S fitting came about as the smaller sensor size allows them to use a smaller (and thus cheaper) lens by placing it closer to the sensor, they can only do that because the viewfinder mirror is also smaller for the smaller sensor.

If you were to put an EF-S lens in a normal size sensor camera (don't think you can physically because of the way the mount is designed but hypothetically) the mirror return would clip the back of the lens.

Apparently, Wikipedia agrees with me (not always a good sign I know :))
The "S" in EF-S stands for "short back focus", which means that the rear element of the lens is closer to the image sensor than on regular 35 mm SLR cameras. The proximity of the rear element to the image sensor greatly enhances the possibilities for wide angle and very wide angle lens, enabling them to be made smaller, lighter (containing less glass), faster (larger aperture) and less expensive. Most current Canon EF-S lenses are wide angle.
Lenses designed specifically for APS-C sized sensors are often optically designed to provide a narrower light cone to match the sensor. However, not all such lenses require the shorter back focus, and may feature the standard EF mount. Such lenses will give noticeable vignetting if used on a 35mm film or sensor camera.

Canon designers have taken steps to ensure it is physically impossible to mount EF-S lenses on EF-only cameras. This is because the increased proximity of the lens to the sensor means that on full-frame sensor or 35mm film EF cameras the lens itself would obstruct the mirror's movement and cause damage to the lens and/or camera. While it is possible to modify the lens such that the physical obstruction is removed, allowing for mounting to EF mount cameras, the rear of the lens would still obstruct the mirror. An additional reason is that the lenses produce a smaller image circle of even illumination (circle of no vignetting). To assist the photographer, an EF-S lens alignment mark is indicated by a small white rectangle, whereas the EF lenses and mounts use a small red dot. EF-S camera bodies have both EF-S and EF alignment marks, while EF bodies have only EF marks. Some have reported success attaching EF-S lenses to full-frame bodies with the use of an extension tube; however, this does not eliminate the vignetting problem, and also removes the lens's ability to achieve infinite focus.
Klors Trofobik

Postby Tonster on Thu Dec 03, 2009 2:25 pm

Tonster
Not Twisted, Toothpick or Tuff

steamID: MartianLM
Battle.Net ID: MartianLM#2136
The 5D mark 2 comes with either of 2 kit lenses, either of which is fabulous.
http://www.warehouseexpress.com/categor ... 1053#first

The 5D as with all full frame cameras won't be compatible with EF-S lenses (note the missing white dot where you line up lens attachments), which is the kit lens that comes with the 400/450/500D series (and probably others).

As such which of the two kit lens options you plump for will depend on what other compatible lenses you have. Or you might want to look at the prices of buying those 2 lenses separately as I seem to remember that on one you save a couple of hundred quid buying it with the camera, but only a few quid on the other one, which may sway your choice.

Either way I'm frigging jealous.

I would recommend B&H photo if you're thinking of buying stateside, though you might want to look into what that does to your warrantee.

PS FU Klors for getting there in the hours it took me to write my post :P

Postby LSM on Thu Dec 03, 2009 2:26 pm

LSM
Forum Bicycle
Lazy Space Monkey

steamID: LSM
PSN: messele
AKA: Lt. Sex Machine
Twitter: messele
The 5D? That's EF only, the 7D will take EF and EF-S though.

Postby Tonster on Thu Dec 03, 2009 2:28 pm

Tonster
Not Twisted, Toothpick or Tuff

steamID: MartianLM
Battle.Net ID: MartianLM#2136
By the way Monie, the 5D doesn't take EF-S lenses.

PS: Posting in a 'larchy said something technically innaccurate' thread

Postby larchy on Thu Dec 03, 2009 2:55 pm

larchy
Site Admin
R2 where are you?

hehe yeah I didn't check, I was going off the way it worked with my m8s Nikon gear. Foolish I know.

Postby Monie on Thu Dec 03, 2009 3:12 pm

Monie
Forum Bicycle
Grays...Sports...Almanac

Awesome, i have the EF lens so that's decision made!

As for warrantee issued my parents live stateside so if it comes to it i'll just register/warantee it in the old man's name and skirt the system that way!

Postby Flomotion on Mon Dec 07, 2009 10:57 pm

Flomotion
Forum Guru
Loud and proud

orientation: No
TK421 wrote:edit to add - Does anyone fancy buying my 10-22 EF-S Canon lens? It's good jaa

Still for sake teeks?

Postby Monie on Sat Dec 26, 2009 4:19 am

Monie
Forum Bicycle
Grays...Sports...Almanac

Came yesterday in the mail :D

Awesomecakes for all.

Holy hell though it's a big beast - like twice the size and heft of the old 450D!

Postby larchy on Sat Dec 26, 2009 8:11 pm

larchy
Site Admin
R2 where are you?

Fantastic monie! Looking forward to seeing what you come up with using it m8 as your stuff is excellent. You definitely have a natural eye for a good pic

Postby Monie on Sat Dec 26, 2009 10:28 pm

Monie
Forum Bicycle
Grays...Sports...Almanac

Just as well m8, as i have the technical abilities of a slightly trained ape :p

Between Lightroom and a 5D MkII there's little scope for making a total balls though :D

Postby larchy on Sun Dec 27, 2009 10:39 am

larchy
Site Admin
R2 where are you?

You should see some of the garbage produced by some of the self-proclaimed 'experts' I know. All the gear, no idea :D

Postby Promac on Mon Dec 28, 2009 1:23 am

Promac
Forum Regular
aka fuck this lark

Yeah, nice job Mon. I'll be interested to see some of your shots around town here.

Previous

Return to Photography & Photoshop