camera

A combined home for all your photography and photoshop posts. Also the home to the photoshop challenge!

camera

Postby Cacker on Tue Apr 22, 2008 8:06 pm

Cacker
Site Admin
4th floor ponce

steamID: Cacker
PSN: Cacker67
antispam1: No
orientation: Yes
i bought one. Nikon D40 + 18-55 3.5-4.5

Went through jessops in the end. the price seems to be vary very little, so i plumped for them in the end because they had an offer of throwing in a 49.99 camera bag. no lowepro or somesuch, just a centon. bit too big for my liking, but hey, s'free. plus they had a special offer of 75 quid off their own brand speedlights. angle, bounce and twist, selective power output, built in diffuser. plus i found a discount code on good old http://www.cantbarsed.com website, so got another 25 quid off. Nikon also do £30 cash back.

So ... not bad i thought.

Even better though, my old nikkor 35-200mm lense fits. \o/

18-55 mm new zoom is also standard 52mm filter size, so my cokin filter holder fits with the polarizer. hurrah !

Paid £343, still have to claim the £30 from nikon.

Charge battery .. ffs .. CHARGE !
/Chairs

Cacker

Re: camera

Postby Tonster on Tue Apr 22, 2008 9:22 pm

Tonster
Not Twisted, Toothpick or Tuff

steamID: MartianLM
Battle.Net ID: MartianLM#2136
Grats dude, look forward to seeing some images soon :)

Postby Klors on Sun May 04, 2008 6:47 pm

Klors
Forum Guru
Would fuck the antichrist

Welcome to the addiction :)
Klors Trofobik

Postby Cacker on Wed May 07, 2008 4:30 pm

Cacker
Site Admin
4th floor ponce

.. technically ... i'm in relapse... i was hooked in my late teens until early 20s. Used to print my own black and white photos and buy bulk Ilford HP5 film and 'roll meh own' ... man. I've always wanted to get back into it. I just need to find things to fackin photograph now :)
/Chairs

Cacker

Postby Quinnbeast on Fri May 16, 2008 11:27 pm

Quinnbeast
Forum Guru
Internet Hitler says Noooooooo

Nice bit of kit for the money. A mate of mind used a D70 for the last few years and he's taken some blinding piccys in his time. He spends half his week working as a freelance photographer too, lucky swine.

Bear in mind that many digital sensors are closer to APS size, so your 35-200mm could effectively be more like x1.5 that (assuming it was originally a 35mm lens). It's a nice bonus being able to reuse older lenses.

Postby Cacker on Tue Aug 26, 2008 10:17 am

Cacker
Site Admin
4th floor ponce

Finally gave the camera a serious work out :) although i'm finding i'm still trying to get used to where 'everything' is. I know what i want to do ... but it's liek ..ffs .. where's the exposure compensation ... oh .. its a button next to the primary shooting button .. lol .. doh.

Took around 775 photographs during my two weeks hols in La Gomera (one of the Canary Islands). Its annoying really because, at the end of the day what makes a photograph is the lighting .. and when you go on trips and stuff .. you have to make do with the time and lighting conditions that you have ... you can't wait for the optimum time. Stuck at noon, with a high sun .. wtf can you do :( So i'm a bit peeved when i went on the Rain Forest tour and took lots of nature shots and they just came up .. meh. Plus i guess, we were restricted in shooting angles because we had to stay on the path... meh.

We also went on an Island Tour, but it was liek the only cloudy day in the whole of summer ... the upper reaches of the island were shrouded in mist, it was literally rolling over the roads. On the left you can see ... F'ALL.

I'll put up a selection of those i liked though.

The 35-200 old nikon lense i used quite a bit, but it was bloody heavy :? Plus it had no aperture connections (that i could ascertain, perhaps i need to read the manual more in depth) so i had to put the camera in complete manual mode. I had to take a test exposure shot, work out the correct shutter speed for a given aperture and then adjust +/- stops on aperture or shutter when i changed either. Bit of a pain. I think i replace it with a new lense ASAP.

Since i've got the 18-55, there's a 55-200 which ive seen brand new on ebay for ~ £109.
/Chairs

Cacker

Return to Photography & Photoshop