Some more HDRs

A combined home for all your photography and photoshop posts. Also the home to the photoshop challenge!

Some more HDRs

Postby larchy on Sat Mar 29, 2008 9:23 pm

larchy
Site Admin
R2 where are you?

steamID: larchy
antispam1: Yes
orientation: Yes
For one week only the North Yorkshire Moors Railway has managed to acquire all three remaining functional A4 Pacific class engines and are running them as part of a festival over the next seven days. The usual resident Sir Nigel Gresley is running alongside Bitten and The Union of South Africa. Also running is Green Arrow, its final week before its boiler certificate expires and after which is will be moved to static display at York Railway Museum.

Here are a couple of shots of the Sir Nigel Gresley, which managed to completely cover me in soot as it was steaming up. I haven't had time to process any other pictures yet but will post them if ppl are interested.

Utterly awe inspiring engineering.

Re: Some more HDRs

Postby Tonster on Sat Mar 29, 2008 10:53 pm

Tonster
Not Twisted, Toothpick or Tuff

steamID: MartianLM
antispam1: No
Battle.Net ID: MartianLM#2136
Love the reflections on the first one and the detail in the smoke on the second. Out of interest were those done with 1 RAW shot or 3? I'm guessing 1 as the subject is highly mobile, but was just curious.

I've done a bit of messing with HDR now but the subject matter was dull and I only used it for improving existing shots rather than going for something cool. I'll post something up if and when I take anything worth looking at :D

Keep 'em coming!

Heh, thought you might be interested to see this, when replying this image was cropped and I thought it improved things as it accentuates the shape of the train. I also found the blue bottom to the shed and the bright sky distacting so knocked those back a bit to maintain focus on the train. Finally I tweaked the brightness and contrast of the rest of the image but as with everything your monitor set up makes all the difference of course. So I just tweaked it to what i thought looked even nicer to me :D

Postby larchy on Sat Mar 29, 2008 11:00 pm

larchy
Site Admin
R2 where are you?

steamID: larchy
antispam1: Yes
Yeah I see what you mean m8, nice crop :)

It loses the steam venting from the bottom front though - thats really seriously impressive and I was almost deafened standing a couple of feet away when it let those huge jets loose! It doesn't look so much in the picture, but behind me there is just a massive thick cloud of steam!

Also a shame to lose the steam at the top!

But yeah its a nice interesting take on the pic.

I wasn't too happy with it tbh but it was really very busy - there are loads of people down to catch the three A4s, its a really amazing once-in-a-lifetime event - and too crowded to get a good position. I think I got this shot by standing in front of about 200 other ppl :D

It was one RAW :) I didn't have a tripod with me... would have been too impractical I'm afraid... there was no time to set any shots up so everything was point+guess settings+snap+hope

Check out my flickr page in my sig for the rest of the pics as I add 'em! Also a couple of other HDRs on there!

Oh and don't forget to full-view the third one - its a huge image and is mega-cropped :D Its a really cool pic I think, and is actually a composite of about 6 shots as the engine roared past me :D

Postby Tonster on Sat Mar 29, 2008 11:03 pm

Tonster
Not Twisted, Toothpick or Tuff

steamID: MartianLM
antispam1: No
Battle.Net ID: MartianLM#2136
Quite a nice image to play with all round really :)

Hadn't realised the last one was cropped, that thing's cool!

Return to Photography & Photoshop