Stanleys festival... do I go for it?

For the Poker freaks out there

Moderators: Docca, Monie

Stanleys festival... do I go for it?

Postby Mike TV on Wed Nov 02, 2005 3:30 pm

Mike TV
Forum Guru

I took a prize of £1000 on Sunday in the £20 game.
I took a prize of £350 last night in the £10 game.

Next week is the Stanley Berkeley Winter Warmer festival, european tour ranked event.

On the Friday is a £250 double chance freezeout.

Now, I can afford to enter this. I want to up my game and I would like to enter. But it is a fifth of the bankroll I've just won myself.

If the past six months is anything to go by, when I win I spend it on increasing my standard of living for a while and in more tournaments. I've had a really dry period for the last 2 months so this prize has come at a great time.

Ive bought myself a few goodies and so I have a grand that I can have as a dedicated bankroll, which I've not done previously (I have a different one for online. Live play I tend to use any spare cash I might have, such as night out money).

I'll likely not have another chance to enter a major event if I don't go for this one.

Oh descisions...

Postby Rupert on Wed Nov 02, 2005 5:24 pm

Rupert
Forum Regular
Scrooge McDuck

Twitter: ruperte
antispam1: No
orientation: No
Don't do it. The players will be a lot better than you and you will definately need both chances. Risking a fifth of your bankroll on one tournament would be stupid. Even if you did play in it you would feel under too much pressure to get a cash that you will probably play too tightly.

There are loads of European ranked events and another will come up in the future. The fact that its ranked means nothing anyway. Just start playing slightly bigger games until you can afford the even bigger tournaments.

Postby Mike TV on Wed Nov 02, 2005 5:44 pm

Mike TV
Forum Guru

£250 is the buyin and that gives the double chance. If you ahvent used the chips within a certain time, you are given them as a top up.

It is effectively a £125 with 1 rebuy. But you pay the rebuy up front.

Many of the players (in fact most) will be the people I play with weekly anyway, the ones who can afford it (and satellite winners).

There will be a smattering of people from down south and maybe the odd European - but most of them will be in Paris for the bigger event.

Postby Rupert on Thu Nov 03, 2005 4:28 am

Rupert
Forum Regular
Scrooge McDuck

I've changed my mind. Sometimes you just gotta take big chances for a big % of your bankroll. Go for it m8 and win it.

I just qualified for the WPT event in the Caribbean

Postby Mike TV on Thu Nov 03, 2005 9:56 am

Mike TV
Forum Guru

WHAT!! Nice going m8ty! You bought in for 11000 $$ ?

Postby Rupert on Thu Nov 03, 2005 12:36 pm

Rupert
Forum Regular
Scrooge McDuck

nah I won a $175 double shootout satellite

Postby Mike TV on Thu Nov 03, 2005 2:25 pm

Mike TV
Forum Guru

Nice work; be sure to take your camera along to that one.

Return to Poker Forums