We're all (Echoes of) Doomed!

Postby Tonster on Tue Oct 14, 2008 5:09 pm

Tonster
Not Twisted, Toothpick or Tuff

steamID: MartianLM
antispam1: No
orientation: Yes
Battle.Net ID: MartianLM#2136
Biiiiig patch day tomorrow (http://www.wowwiki.com/Patch_3.0.2), I think my gnome bank alt will be getting a haircut, but other than that there are such trivialities to consider such as completely revamped talent trees. Anyone got their specs sorted?

These are my first stabs at a few (bear in mind I play solo PvE 99% of the time).
Hunter BM: http://wotlk.wowhead.com/?talent=cEbhzxgRVu0eot0ehbZc

Frosty the mageman: http://wotlk.wowhead.com/?talent=oZcZAIcIRfuhfdgfst

Rogue: http://wotlk.wowhead.com/?talent=f0eboZMgAdxVxsru0gRz0b

I sooo need to quit my job to make it worthwhile playing this game! :rolling:

Re: We're all (Echoes of) Doomed!

Postby Yocote on Tue Oct 14, 2008 5:50 pm

Yocote
Forum Guru

Aye, big big patch indeed. After getting the worst of inevitable broken addons fixed, I'll make a mad dash for the inscription trainer, I just readied a character by putting it full of herbs :)
Alt-o-holic extraordinaire

Postby feign on Tue Oct 14, 2008 5:53 pm

feign
Forum Bicycle
left then right and twist 2, 3

Nanny from wfm will be - http://wotlk.wowhead.com/?talent=bVhbzhZcLxcf0qVuVIo - basically deisc for regen, tyhen the rest getting as far into holy as possible.

There are some MASSIVE changes inherent in the gameplay modifications in 3.02 for healers. Heal down-ranking simply will not exist, as all ranks of a spell will cost the same "% of base mana". I posted some pretty decent links in the wfm thread.

Wowinsider have some very good articles on 3.02.

Postby Yocote on Wed Oct 15, 2008 10:47 am

Yocote
Forum Guru

For Kablamska I'm considering http://www.wowhead.com/?talent=oZcE0bRhhuVubGspV0c - a Fire spec with the pvp and solo talents removed and a little seasoning of frost to get the 3% hit rating (and 3% mana reduction) talent. Improved Fire Blast (in the first tier) still needs to be added in the fire tree at levels above 70, but I ran out of talent points to play with. At level 80 it may look like http://www.wowhead.com/?talent=oZfEcbRhuuVubGstVbc0o .

Note that in wow 3, to be effective, even a larger fraction of points need to be put in a single tree, making the talents I was looking for previously in the arcane tree unreachable - in particular, consider Improved Counterspell unreachable in practice now, in other words: I can no longer 'silence' mobs, only lock down the school of magic they happen to be casting when I cast counterspell. The good news is that Icy Veins (short duration quite strong Haste effect) is now within reach

Postby Tonster on Wed Oct 15, 2008 4:01 pm

Tonster

I've never found having only basic counterspell to be any real hinderance, very few NPC caster mobs use more than 1 school of magic anyway. Might be different in instances though, and of course for PvP.
Yocote wrote:After getting the worst of inevitable broken addons fixed...

Ugh, I totally forgot about that :(

Postby viadro66 on Wed Oct 15, 2008 4:20 pm

viadro66
Forum Regular

Tonster wrote:Biiiiig patch day tomorrow (...)

Hi Tons :). My downloader indicates 8 hours download so no immediate jump into the game for me. Next step will be add-ons (I hate looking for working versions ...) and final decisions on talents .... I still have no idea how to build my priest - as well as all other chars ;). I am closest to accepting my BM build which is similar to what you proposed with few minor changes:
- I used to put 1 point into Improved Mend Pet - it is enough to remove debuffs from pet
- I like catlike reflexes - pet dodging 9% more makes me safer
- I will get aimed shot - which is instant cast shot now
- have to decide whether to put 3 points in improved hunter's mark or hawk eye; with the change of kindred spirits which do not require to be far away from pet hawk eye is not as important, on the other hand i will visit some battlegrounds sometimes :)

Back to talent calculators :)

Regards
via

Postby viadro66 on Wed Oct 15, 2008 4:40 pm

viadro66
Forum Regular

feign wrote:Nanny from wfm will be (...) basically deisc for regen, tyhen the rest getting as far into holy as possible.

Deep disc build with divine aegis and penance is rumored to be very effective single target healing spec which is what we expect to be needed - try it if you think it will be fun to play. I am thinking for my priest about either smiter build (up to surge of light in holy, rest in disc) or full disc and holy up to searing light.

And knowing my tanking skills - better put 1 point in desperate prayer ;).

Regards
via

Postby Tonster on Wed Oct 15, 2008 4:55 pm

Tonster

viadro66 wrote:My downloader indicates 8 hours download

http://www.wowwiki.com/Patch_mirrors

;)

Though I think every download site in the world is taking it up the chocolate tunnel right now.

Postby Scotski on Wed Oct 15, 2008 10:20 pm

Scotski
Forum Regular

Ouch - after downloading patch absolute specking nightmare getting an updater to work - wowace java one for mac not working curse client only has mac beta - looks like updating addond one by one :(

Postby DrKazza on Thu Oct 16, 2008 3:10 am

DrKazza
Pinball Wizard

steamID: DrKazza
Cunting shit... the realmlist.wtf doesn't affect anything any more... therefore I can't play on US realms with a EU installation.

Here goes a full uninstall and re-install using the US discs.

Balls
That's The REVEREND Dr. Kazza to you.

Postby Tonster on Thu Oct 16, 2008 8:42 am

Tonster

[bitch]
OMG the Blizzard downloaded can SMB :flame: Damn thing maxes the upload speed so not only is the download speed utterly gimped but t'internet is completely buggered all the while. Had the bandwidth to download it 10 times quicker but noooo :blitz:

Which meant I didn't get to play on it last night
[/bitch]
The new log-in screen looks the mutts though (checked it all worked this morning). Tried to create a Death Knight but the option is greyed out :D

Postby DrKazza on Thu Oct 16, 2008 9:53 am

DrKazza
Pinball Wizard

you won't be able to create a death knight until after you purchase WOTLK.

I've now found out the realmlist.wtf has been moved to the DATA subfolder.

Postby Yocote on Thu Oct 16, 2008 10:22 am

Yocote
Forum Guru

A bit late, I guess, but I downloaded the patch using the blizzard downloader quite fast. Just make sure to check the checkbox in the downloader's options screen that disables the throttling. By default (checkbox cleared), the downloader deliberately slows down the download in an attempt to be not a nuisance to other internet using programs. With the checkbox checked (throttling off) it is likely that the downloader will eat all your internet bandwidth (no playing wow while it is downloading, even websurfing will be noticably slower), but the download goes *much* faster.

Postby Tonster on Thu Oct 16, 2008 11:03 am

Tonster

Didn't seem to matter what I did, by throttling it it was capped at 128k/s download speed, by unthrottling it the upload speed choked my download speed back to about 128k/s. Ho hum, just annoyed as I actually had time to play last night and couldn't :P

Anyway, looking forward to this on my Hunter;
Beast Mastery: Kindred Spirits (increases you and your Pets speed by 10%)
Pet (Cunning): Dash (increases pet movement speed by 80% for 16 seconds, 32 sec cooldown)
Pet (Cunning): Boar's Speed (increases pet movement speed by 30%)
Pet (Cunning): Swoop (your pet swoops at an enemy imobilising the target for 1 sec)

Woohoo, my cat's gonna be an armour plated, self healing homing bullet \o/

Postby DrKazza on Thu Oct 16, 2008 11:06 am

DrKazza
Pinball Wizard

I suppose it makes up for your pitiful damage output....
there there...

Postby Yocote on Thu Oct 16, 2008 12:04 pm

Yocote
Forum Guru

Tonster wrote:Pet (Cunning): Dash (increases pet movement speed by 80% for 16 seconds, 32 sec cooldown)
Pet (Cunning): Boar's Speed (increases pet movement speed by 30%)
Pet (Cunning): Swoop (your pet swoops at an enemy imobilising the target for 1 sec)

Woohoo, my cat's gonna be an armour plated, self healing homing bullet \o/

I hate to bring this to you, but cats are ferocity, not cunning :) But then, ferocity pets are getting Dash, Boar's speed and charge/swoop ( http://petopia.brashendeavors.net/html/ ... rocity.php )

Postby Tonster on Thu Oct 16, 2008 12:24 pm

Tonster

I just mis-labelled it coz I'm a moron :P Talents are correct :P And I missed 'self-rezzing' from the list.

Not fussed about damage levels too much Kazza otherwise I would have gone into Marksmanship. I play my Hunter solo PvE and it's nice to be able to just send in the pet, sit back and autoshoot. Very relaxing :D

Makes a nice change of pace from the frenetic button mashing of my rogue (only a tiddly 59er atm). Love my Mage too, but Hunter is my fave and damage meters can smb :)

What class(es) are you? Lock?

Postby feign on Thu Oct 16, 2008 1:48 pm

feign
Forum Bicycle
left then right and twist 2, 3

Scotski wrote:Ouch - after downloading patch absolute specking nightmare getting an updater to work - wowace java one for mac not working curse client only has mac beta - looks like updating addond one by one :(

Wowace is now dead, due to bandwidth issues, it hasn't been updating for teh last month or so apparently (I'd not noticed either!)

Can I recommend http://www.wowmatrix.com/ which has a MAC client, it works pretty much the same way, it looks what you have installed, then checks they are current and gives you the option to update them all.

As far as patch downloading, I always make sure I ahve the "allow download after you exit WoW, so I had 98% of the patch pre-downloaded.

Via - from my reading on a few priest theorycraft blogs/forums - especially http://dwarfpriest.com/2008/10/07/patch ... val-guide/ - the feeling is that main tank priest healers (which in agroup planning to do 5 mans, I am) are going to be holy, that disc will be useful for raid mitigation but more likely as PvP healers. simply put, mana regen will now rely more on some of the holy skills that give back a % of base mana under certain conditions, in conjunction with meditation and the heal per mana efficiecy that you get from the skills in the later parts of the holy tree. So I think it will be a 14/47/0 or somesuch for me. Maybe - http://www.wowhead.com/?talent=bVcbzhZcxxcs0qiu0Is - as Nanny has less +spellpower than most priests grouping at 70, hence I've opted for holy conc and surge of light over empowered healing.

Kazza - who are you playing with on teh us servers! Joining up with basin?

Postby DrKazza on Fri Oct 17, 2008 1:13 am

DrKazza
Pinball Wizard

I'm a priest on Nagrand server... Kaziopeoia. I got fed up of being the best class who could never instance (warlock) so I thought go priest that way you've always got mates.

Really fucked off that Autobar is fucked and trinitybars is no longer supported... mind you Bartender4 looks pretty easy to use.

I now use the Curse client for addon updating, it's far too complicated and nowhere near as useful as the aceupdater.

why do people have to fucking overfuckingcomplicate things?

(oh and I'm not playing 'with' anyone in particular.. just solo levelling to get up... I'm L66 now which for someone with kids and a stupid job ain't bad)

Postby Yocote on Fri Oct 17, 2008 6:36 am

Yocote
Forum Guru

As far as action bars go, Dominos (successor to Bongos) seems to work just fine so far.

Next

Return to World of Warcraft