Two player instance teams

WoW chit-chat and stuff

Moderators: DrKazza, feign

Re: Two player instance teams

Postby feign on Thu Feb 04, 2010 8:17 pm

feign
Forum Bicycle
left then right and twist 2, 3

After a loooooooong break, the 2 player team (and Jules!!!) is back, with Brd emperor separated from his life in simple but suitable fashion. Oddly again, an unexpcted boss was an issue, this time the 7 dwarves wiped us, well, until we hard nuked, then they were easy :)

Dire Maul East is next stop on our merry tour!

Postby DrKazza on Fri Feb 05, 2010 2:26 am

DrKazza
Pinball Wizard

steamID: DrKazza
antispam1: No
orientation: Yes
That's The REVEREND Dr. Kazza to you.

Postby jhartelt on Fri Feb 05, 2010 4:20 pm

jhartelt
Forum Regular

DrKazza wrote:why don't you solo A'lar?...

http://www.wow.com/2010/02/02/15-minute ... lo-artist/
Cool, that guy definitely knows how to play a DK :O

Postby feign on Sat Feb 06, 2010 10:30 am

feign
Forum Bicycle

DrKazza wrote:why don't you solo A'lar?...

http://www.wow.com/2010/02/02/15-minute ... lo-artist/

Very decent.

Our runs are 2 mans at the level the content was designed for, which can still be challenging!

Postby Mr.Blonde on Sat May 01, 2010 2:33 pm

Mr.Blonde
Forum Guru
RaNK as they come

steamID: Mr.Blonde
Xbox Live: HailMontezumah
I've been doing the same with my better half - we've managed BrD but struggled to manage the 7 dwarves so got a bit stuck there - we're a paladin and a warlock, how'd you manage to defeat the numerical disadvantage?

Postby DrKazza on Sat May 01, 2010 11:59 pm

DrKazza
Pinball Wizard

steamID: DrKazza
antispam1: No
orientation: Yes
Hmm.... well you NEED to use your succubus to keep chain seducing one of them... What i'd do then is to try and get the pally to take one 2 of them, while the lock chain fears the other 4.

If you're fearing them then you will need to stay a long way back to stop adding another pack
That's The REVEREND Dr. Kazza to you.

Postby jhartelt on Sun May 02, 2010 2:43 pm

jhartelt
Forum Regular

Mr.Blonde wrote:I've been doing the same with my better half - we've managed BrD but struggled to manage the 7 dwarves so got a bit stuck there - we're a paladin and a warlock, how'd you manage to defeat the numerical disadvantage?
When fighting through this encounter on previous occasions (meaning in a full five player party), the seven dwarves attacked one after the other after the current one died.

I only learned on our two-player visit, that the dwarves are on a timer and start attacking, regardless of their forerunners fate. So, on our first try we soon had two dwarves to handle at the same time and later three and we wiped. We talked some tactics and came to the conclusion, that we need to burn down each dwarf as fast as possible, with every tool at hand. This might sound strange at first, because conventional wisdom tells us to preserve cooldowns for emergencies. This fight is a definite exception to that conservative behaviour. On my hunter, I switched on Aspect of the Viper, when the current dwarf seemed under control, to regain precious mana for the next dwarf. I used each and every ability my gorilla and my hunter had available. Especially those I rarely ever use, like Rapid Fire or the Orc racial Blood Fury. As far as I can remember, we did not fight more than two dwarves at the same time on that second try, with one of them already near death. Oh, I also placed fire traps in that battle.

One of the advantages Damiens priest brings into our team, is his ability to add to the dps, when needed. Be it with spells or with the wand. A healing Paladin is very limited in that regard. A judgement and Holy Shock are the only attacks that come readily to my mind. The damage will have to come from the Warlock and his demon. If you play through instances in a team, I guess the Warlock is Demonology specced? Are you using the Fel Guard as tank? Or the Void Walker? I would expect the damage output of the Fel Guard to be too useful to cling to the Walkers higher armor value.

Concerning gear: On my Hunter, I go for stamina first, agility second, anything else is icing on the cake. Part of the stamina is transferred to the pet. That is also true for Warlock pets. Perhaps there is room for gear upgrades/sidegrades on the Warlock, to raise his stamina, and therefore his pets stamina. More stamina equals longer staying power.

All those thoughts written out, one more thing comes to mind. A Warlock is not a fast killer. He kills slowly with DoTs. Except if he is destruction specced, but that is not applicable here. Throwing out expensive Shadow Bolts might be called for in this fight. Life Tapping mid-fight would be necessary, but not a problem, because a dedicated healer is present.

I would try something like this: DoT up on the first dwarf and rain Bolts on him. If the second one comes into play before the first is dead, DoT him up and return to bolting the first one. The first should be noticeably down on his life by then. When you feel, that the DoTs on the first dwarf are enough to kill him during their course, then switch to bolting the second dwarf. If all goes well, the first dies, before the third comes into play. The second dwarf should be low on life by that time. If Judgement of Light or Judgement of Wisdom is better for this fight, I have no idea. I would start with Judgement of Life, as it helps keep the tank, the Fel Guard alive. Depending on how things worked out that way, I would discuss alterations or a totally new plan with my team mate :)

If tank survivability is the weak spot, the Curse of Weakness might be preferable to Curse of Agony on melee dwarves. You could use a Scroll of Protection on the Fel Guard and a Scroll of Stamina on the Warlock.

EDIT:
Oh one more thing: Our characters were level 55/56 in that last part of BrD. If you happen to be lower in level, you might want to level up somewhat.

Postby feign on Mon May 03, 2010 6:02 pm

feign
Forum Bicycle

It was actually quite bizarre, the trash encounter of the seven dwarves being significantly harder than the actual final boss of BRD, the emperor, whic in vanilla wow was about the most awkward fight to get a pug for, due to the amount of the instance you needed to clear and the fact that both of the last 2 rooms were wipe-fests back then when people didn't understand aggro control/movement/etc. Oh, and the stealth buffs that came with 2 expansions worth of extra abilities accessible in each talent tree.

J covered most of the important stuff in his summary. I'd only add that my priest for the 2 manned team is specc'ed deep discipline and equiped for magic crit to drive procs. This meant on the dwarves fight, that after shielding the pet-tank, I dropped the very cheap holy-fire whatever it's called holy/disc damage dot, then a smite or 2, then a shield and a heal if needed. Meaning that I kept my threat low at the start and only raised it with shield/heal/high dps once the mob almost dead.

Anyhow, got to get back to the 2 player team asap!

Postby jhartelt on Mon May 03, 2010 7:24 pm

jhartelt
Forum Regular

feign wrote:Anyhow, got to get back to the 2 player team asap!
I have collected the three DM quests in Feralas with Gnorak already ;)

Postby feign on Tue May 04, 2010 10:53 am

feign
Forum Bicycle

jhartelt wrote:

I'm pretty sure my priest is parked in Camp Mojo already, but I'll see if I can log in and confirm tonight so we can get scheduling a slot!

Postby Mr.Blonde on Thu May 06, 2010 7:25 pm

Mr.Blonde
Forum Guru
RaNK as they come

steamID: Mr.Blonde
Xbox Live: HailMontezumah
thanks guys, will have another try using your advice!

Postby feign on Sat May 08, 2010 11:46 am

feign
Forum Bicycle

jhartelt wrote:

Healer is parked in Camp mojo with 3 quests ready now! I'll update later about avalability over next few days, or I'm always on skype if I'm online.

Postby feign on Tue Sep 07, 2010 7:47 pm

feign
Forum Bicycle

DM East is now dead, or was ages ago.

And we're about to get into scary territory, Lower Black Rock Spire 2 man!

Tomorrow - Wednesday any good for you J?

Postby jhartelt on Tue Sep 07, 2010 9:38 pm

jhartelt
Forum Regular

As we agreed in-game earlier, Cataclysm won't be out for another few months. So, there is no need to force anything right now. that being said, I will be available tomorrow. Gnorak can hearth to Kargath.

I have searched on the MMO-Champion forums for some beta information about old world instances. I found this thread. It seems, that lbrs will contain monsters of slightly lower level, 57-58. Other vanilla end-game instances will be revamped. Scholomance, Stratholme and the Diremaul instances will be much lower in level. While it would be nice to get them all done with our 2 player team, I am really easy. Perhaps we can manage one more, before Cataclysm comes out.

EDIT: Damien, it seems you are busy still. I just detected a re-run of Torchwood, "Children of Earth" and am sort of hooked in front of the screen. Again :)

Previous

Return to World of Warcraft