Two player instance teams

WoW chit-chat and stuff

Moderators: DrKazza, feign

Two player instance teams

Postby jhartelt on Tue Jun 03, 2008 1:25 pm

jhartelt
Forum Regular

I have read and heard some hunter players talk about doing the old world instances just with a healer and sometimes alone, when still in the level range of the instances. Their point being, that Blizzard nerfed the difficulty of the old stuff too much.

Be that as it may, I wonder, if it would make a fun project to tackle the old world instances in teams of two. I am not sure if one of the two actually needs to be a hunter. I would guess, that a warlock should also be able to let his voidy do the tank. The other player should most definitely play a healer class. Probably not talent specced as a pure healer, but able to keep the pet alive.

The fun I expect from this, will come from the more tactical approach to the combats, as opposed to steamrolling through the encounters of especially the sub-level-40 instances. And of course from speccing and equipping the chars for this special purpose.
The pet class will have to do a lot of pet micro-managing not usually needed. The healer class might use some otherwise unused spells/talents, as it will have to help with dps.
My current favourite for this project would be a discipline priest. Wand Specialization would help with dps, Reflective Shield seems nice for the pet and should level 50 be reached, then Pain Suppression surely would see much use in an attempt on the Sunken Temple.

Between instances, characters could be leveled in team or solo, that needs to be cleared up between the players.

One thing about playing time: I do not see myself committing to my fourth weekly group game. So I myself would only be able to play in such a team sporadically. Or rather, the play times would have to be negotiated individually for each session :)

Any opinions or even interest in the idea?

Re: Two player instance teams

Postby feign on Tue Jun 03, 2008 10:45 pm

feign
Forum Bicycle
left then right and twist 2, 3

I could be up for this Juergen.

It would give a little purpose to my pve server alt levelling time, which is good!

I have a few alliance baby toons on stormrage and similar levelled horde ones on arathor now, but if you have a toon in mind on any server - even the German one I know you play some on - I have the time while in the USA to do some levelling :)

The idea of being an irregular session would be appealing to me also!

So, let's get talking!

Postby jhartelt on Wed Jun 04, 2008 9:23 am

jhartelt
Forum Regular

I am easy about which server to play on, as long as it is a pve server.

You wrote you have a lvl12 priest and a lvl15 Warlock on Arathor? So, I could either start a Priest to accompany the Lock or a Hunter to go with your Priest. Do you have any preferrence?

On horde side, Ragefire Chasm would be the first instance. I think we could try to go there at lvl16?

And is there a real chance we could get to this while you are in the USA? What I mean is, could we find a time where we both are awake :)

Postby feign on Thu Jun 05, 2008 5:22 am

feign
Forum Bicycle

Priest is now 14, Warlock is 15 I think.

I also have a mage @18 and warrior @16 from ages ago I think, but neither of those classes fit this team.

I truly don't mind which toon I use. I've never specced demonologist or deep into discipline, so both would be of interest.

I've no experience with using pets to tank at all really (having played affliction drain-lock mostly while levelling), so I've no idea of which of a specific hunter pet specced for tanking or a Voidwalker would be better. And any guess would be absed on absolutely zsero knowledge!

So why don't you decide whether you think we should go with a hunter or warlock pet, and if it's warlock I'l do it, hunter you do it :)

As far as playing while I'm in the USA, time difference may make that tough, but I'm up for trying. I'm 9 hours behind CET on US Pacific, so maybe late my night =early your morning, so it depends upon teh time you leave for work, or vica versa!

Anyhow, you get chosing which pet we should use, and then I'll know whether I'm using a healer or warlock. As I said, I don't mind levelling a toon elsewhere if you ahve one readymade on a different server.

Postby jhartelt on Thu Jun 05, 2008 1:32 pm

jhartelt
Forum Regular

There are a few other things to factor in, too:

• I am a slow person in head and hand. Micromanaging a pet to keep aggro on all mobs might be beyond me. I am willing to try, of course.
  • You currently alternate between those two chars. Waiting for me to level up my toon, might mean that you will play the one not rested, which might reduce your fun/enjoyment

That being said, I think I will create a hunter tonight. Trolls might make the best hunters on horde side, but I don't like their looks very much. So an Orc it will be. About pets, Boars make nice tanking pets, as they get a small bonus on armor and life, while losing some dps. Though at mid-30 I would switch to a Gorilla, as it has an aoe attack, albeit with a 1 minute cooldown. Inside instances that cooldown might actually wear off during a fight.

Do you also see level 16 as our entry level for RFC or do you think we should go in earlier/later?

EDIT:
feign wrote:I also have a mage @18 and warrior @16 from ages ago I think, but neither of those classes fit this team.
Well, from what I got as responses on the Thunder Guild Board, a Hunter might not even really need a healer in some places. Perhaps a Priest/Warrior duo would be a viable instance team, too?

feign wrote:I truly don't mind which toon I use. I've never specced demonologist or deep into discipline, so both would be of interest.
As I decided to take a Hunter, you are, of course, free to play the priest any way you want. I think, that the discipline tree offers a few good things later on for the intended team. But please do not see this as set in stone. You play the healer, you decide how to play him/her.

EDIT2:
Which professions does your priest know? I do not want to take anything redundant. My plan would be either mining or herbalism, paired with skinning.
Last edited by jhartelt on Thu Jun 05, 2008 5:53 pm, edited 2 times in total.

Postby Yocote on Thu Jun 05, 2008 5:22 pm

Yocote
Forum Guru

antispam1: No
orientation: Yes
jhartelt wrote:Trolls might make the best hunters on horde side, but I don't like their looks very much. So an Orc it will be.

It may very well be that Orcs make better hunters than Trolls: Orc hunters and warlocks get a racial bonus to pet damage. Also, their active racial increases their AP for a few seconds, which increases pet damage as well, and the downside (healing effects on the orc lowered at the same time as AP is up) hits hunters less than other classes in my experience...

As far as pets go: boars are very good at grabbing initial aggro (though that effect was nerfed a bit in the latest patch) - that's why they are so popular. I'm not sure if they are better in long fights though... Anyway, when thinking about hunter pets, make sure to take a peek at the web site Petopia, http://petopia.brashendeavors.net/.
Alt-o-holic extraordinaire

Postby jhartelt on Thu Jun 05, 2008 5:51 pm

jhartelt
Forum Regular

Thanks, Yoco. Petopia already is my first stop, when I want to know something about Hunter pets :)

EDIT:
The Hunter's name is Gnorak, he is level 11 atm.

Postby feign on Fri Jun 06, 2008 6:04 am

feign
Forum Bicycle

Ok priest it is then. I think she's 15 and I'll just pick up all the quests levle wise and see where that gets me to level wise.

As far as hunters soloing instances, I know that when about 5 levles above, they can do a lot of the middle levle ones- Marudon, etc - but I can't see RFC or WC being easily soloable at a levle where the mobs give exp.

As far as professions, I was just mining to get cash to get yoco to make me some more bags- i sent materials for 4 to one of his alts! - I could also just get the mats and let yoco make it for me, but that could be a bit rude!

Thinking about it, I'm not sure whether something like a dual tree shammy resto/enhance with totem upgrades wouldn't happen to be a decent healer, but let's leave it as it is, the priest is born!

Postby DrKazza on Fri Jun 06, 2008 6:37 am

DrKazza
Pinball Wizard

steamID: DrKazza
I'm not sure fagin knows how to play priest.
That's The REVEREND Dr. Kazza to you.

Postby Yocote on Fri Jun 06, 2008 8:30 am

Yocote
Forum Guru

feign wrote:As far as professions, I was just mining to get cash to get yoco to make me some more bags- i sent materials for 4 to one of his alts! - I could also just get the mats and let yoco make it for me, but that could be a bit rude!

Actually you sent mats for 3.5 bags (one bag takes 24 cloth, not 20) :) But I returned you 4 bags anyway already - Netherweave cloth is not the most expensive item in the world (in case you didn't know: converting one stack of netherweave cloth to heavy bandages and selling those 10 bandages to a vendor nets you 3g. Despite that, netherweave is often seen at prices below 3g a stack on the AH, making it the only item in the game that is frequently sold on the AH below effective vendor price ...)

Most of my characters are in the kowo and xbrains channels, so the fastest way of contacting me (for instance for a guild invite) is by joining either of those. I don't consider myself to have a 'main' - just a huge collection of alts :)

Postby jhartelt on Fri Jun 06, 2008 2:46 pm

jhartelt
Forum Regular

feign wrote:Thinking about it, I'm not sure whether something like a dual tree shammy resto/enhance with totem upgrades wouldn't happen to be a decent healer, but let's leave it as it is, the priest is born!
I have no prob at all with you playing a Shaman, if you want to start one. He only needs to keep the boar alive :) The priest was just my personal favourite, had I played the healer in such a two player team.

Postby feign on Fri Jun 06, 2008 6:07 pm

feign
Forum Bicycle

Yoco - sorry for that, I actually checked the cloth required and had meant to send you 100 cloth, so managed to screw up that!

Kaz - ta mate :(

Juergen - Let's stick with the priest, she's 15 now, and I still need to go to UC and TB to pick up the quests there, so will be 16 then. I also need to respec todisc, as she's currently shadow. I was wondering if respeccing was worth it at this time, but looking at thediscipline tree, at 16 I would hvae +25%wand damage and also 2 points in either improved Fortitude, improved shield or decreased threat (my priority!) which is actually a whole lot more useful than the spirit buff for kills and slight shadow word pain dps increase I would have.

Currently, she's mining/herbs. Mining seems to rake in the cash and my warrior is a baby alchemist, so both have sense, but really, it makes most sense if I go tailoring I think along with mining for cash. If you're taking skinning, were you planning on getting yoco to make LW gear for youfrom the skins? We could use my warrior as a pot maker, as I think we should plan on having full buffs for our trips, the more advantage we have, the better! So I'll keep themining on this toon, swap to tailoring and on the warlock collect herbs for pots. Outside the levleling I do on this priest to get ready for each instace, I can collect herbs for pots on the warrior or warlock.

Ok, as to how soon I'd be ready for RFC, if I can get an hour or two tonight or tomorrow morning, I'll have got the quests and be available and parked just outside RFC!

Postby jhartelt on Fri Jun 06, 2008 6:54 pm

jhartelt
Forum Regular

I let Gnorak learn how to pick flowers properly and how to skin. The first few stacks of Silverleaf and Peacebloom went to the AH for some cash. I will gladly send further herbs to your warrior.

And no, I have no plans yet to involve anyone else. Skinning was also meant to generate cash :)

Postby feign on Fri Jun 06, 2008 8:38 pm

feign
Forum Bicycle

Are you about during teh day this weekend at all.

I could be viable early morning time Pacific, 6am would be 3pm CET. If you expect to be about, let me know and we could maybe schedule either a Saturday or Sunday morning session?

Postby jhartelt on Fri Jun 06, 2008 9:08 pm

jhartelt
Forum Regular

6am? Ouch! Are you serious? Well, this weekend, I could make that time on Saturday. Do you have to work on Saturday? We could easily play 2h later if not.

EDIT:
Gnorak is 14.5 now. I sent a few herbs to Scindo.
Last edited by jhartelt on Sat Jun 07, 2008 1:38 am, edited 1 time in total.

Postby feign on Sat Jun 07, 2008 1:37 am

feign
Forum Bicycle

Priestess (15)= qualm (to be miner and tailor)
Warlock = forthright (herb/mine)
warrior = scindo (herb/alch)
mage = not 100% sure, could be ergo (herb, ?)

Saturday morning could be fun, I'm tending to be awake early anyway, 6:30 pacific//3:30 CET could be a good start time on Saturday if you fancy it, even if we can only manage 90 minutes then, it will give us some information as to how to try to make this work :)

Postby jhartelt on Sat Jun 07, 2008 1:40 am

jhartelt
Forum Regular

Ok lets meet at that time then, 6:30am for you, 15:30pm for me.

EDIT:
The armory finally remembered about Arathor, yay :)

EDIT 2:
Thanks for a very enjoyable RFC run, Damien :!:

We went into RFC as lvl16 Hunter and Lvl 17 Priest. As could be expected, single enemies were easy to kill.

For double and triple fights, I had prepared a mouseover /petattack macro (mouseover because the Hunter can continue to fire on the main target) and a macro that lets the pet attack the enemy with focus on it. Both macros proved useful, though I had my difficulties with aiming the mouseover one when 4 enemies where around. Two enemies were no problem, really. With 3 enemies, we developed the "tactic" to let Damien apply the Powerword:Shield on my pet before combat, to relay the moment when healing was needed. And I let the pet attack the enemies in turn, or at least I tried to :)

We wiped twice IIRC. Once, because we aggroed extra monsters during our first 3 enemy fight and once, when we tried to jump down from Bazzalans area to Jergoshs area and aggroed a bunch of enemies.

We found a few item upgrades. Most notably Robe of Evocation and Subterranean Cape

Next stop will be Wailing Caverns, which we currently plan to enter with level 22 characters. I checked on Wowwiki, and they state, that the highest level bosses are lvl20 here and in Deadmines.

Postby feign on Sun Jun 08, 2008 6:32 am

feign
Forum Bicycle

It was great fun. And please do remember I died also to a fall into the lava!

I look forward to WC and beyond!

Postby Yocote on Sun Jun 08, 2008 7:47 am

Yocote
Forum Guru

Good to hear you had fun :)

I can imagine you want to see how far you can get by just using the stuff you find, but as mentioned already in chat, I have characters on arathor covering most tradeskills, so if you need something from a crafter, it is quite possible that I can make it (though mats may sometimes be problematic - if you checked the AH you may have noticed certain prices have gone totally through the roof)

Postby feign on Tue Jun 10, 2008 6:53 pm

feign
Forum Bicycle

Priest hit 20 last night. Still with loads and loads of quests in Barrens (I just focussed on the 2 chains with WC pre-reqs so far really and other stuff involving kils in teh same areas)

Just checking one thing, we said we'd do the Serpentbloom and wailing essences quest together didn't we.I know they're now soloable as non-elites inhabit the cave entrance now, but it does seem to make sense to just do at the beginning of our first WC run.

Not sure how much time I'll have over the next 3 days, but I'm hoping to maybe be ready at 22 for the first trip into WC for this weekend if that's any good to you J ?

Next

Return to World of Warcraft