Moderators: DrKazza, feign

Postby Tonster on Sun Jan 14, 2007 12:07 pm

Tonster
Not Twisted, Toothpick or Tuff

steamID: MartianLM
antispam1: No
orientation: Yes
Battle.Net ID: MartianLM#2136
For anyone wanting to level a Paladin I've just respecced to this which is proving soooo much more enjoyable than my previous protection based one. Now that Pally's are capable of some decent DPS and are becoming viable alternatives to warriors for tanking it's become a much better class to play.

http://www.wowhead.com/?talent=sxxZxGxb0h0xZE00t0rub

Reckoning, Spiritual Focus and Seal of Command are for me the 3 most useful skills to invest skill points in.

The holy stuff can be left until last or get it early as they are definitely nice to have, just depends on your preference.

Seal of Command is a good skill too, and when it procs a couple of times at the same time as Reckoning you can do some truly awesome damage.

I've actually found tanking easier with this build than with a heavy protection build as the damage you do generates a lot more threat, so holding aggro is easier.

The order I would get the skills in is put all points into holy first (I do like heals to be less interruptable), though bear in mind you get an aura which reduces spell interruption by 35% as standard (level 22). Then go into protection to get Reckoning, then into retribution for SoC.

I still haven't worked out which is better, using Seal of Command (SoC) or Seal of the Crusader (SotC). SoC procs randomly but when it does it's ace (with a good 2h). SotC speeds up your hits by 40% which means reckoning procs a lot more often. I just don;t know which way does more DPS. It seems SotC is a lot more consistent, that 40% speed is guaranteed, but if SoC procs a couple of times on a mob it dies in no time, and you ca unleash it as a damaging judgement, and for double damage too if the mob is stunned.

The last thing I'll get is the Sanctity Aura for some extra SoC damage.
Last edited by Tonster on Sun Jan 14, 2007 2:20 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Postby DiamondDog on Sun Jan 14, 2007 1:52 pm

DiamondDog
Forum Guru
Touches Apples

Thats actually very handy tons. I've been swaying towards starting a pally when I get into TBC. I originally wanted to give Shaman or Druid a go because I haven't tried a character like that, but those damned belf's can't do either so Paladin it is.

Having no idea how to play this kind of class the first few instance runs should be pretty interesting.

Postby Tonster on Sun Jan 14, 2007 2:24 pm

Tonster

WCRebuff = pally heaven. It watches the buffs you place on other people and remembers them, at the press of a button it refreshes each one in turn, and has a timier to remind you when they're running out. In a 5 man instance group you can easily have to place 20+ buffs so this makes it far less tedious.

Combine with SmartDebuff for all your buff/debuff needs (all classes, not just pallies).

Postby DiamondDog on Sun Jan 14, 2007 6:13 pm

DiamondDog
Forum Guru
Touches Apples

Thank you!

Just a quick question about that build. Sounds like its designed towards being a tank? Does it work alright for just ordinary leveling and grinding?

Postby JuriOs on Sun Jan 14, 2007 6:56 pm

JuriOs
Forum Regular

Dia, where are you rolling?
I'd rather dance with you

Postby DiamondDog on Sun Jan 14, 2007 7:30 pm

DiamondDog
Forum Guru
Touches Apples

Honestly not sure yet pal. I think it'll be a new server, even though I'd like to get some use out of the gold sat on my old characters, but then that kind of takes some fun out of starting a new character.

It would be good to get on a realm with some people from here, just so theres more of a chance to group with people that aren't complete loons, which is my usual experience of randoms.

Postby Tonster on Sun Jan 14, 2007 7:35 pm

Tonster

DiamondDog wrote:Just a quick question about that build. Sounds like its designed towards being a tank? Does it work alright for just ordinary leveling and grinding?

It's intended to be general purpose as I solo mainly, so it's a jack of all trades, master of none type thing. Just to warn though that I've been told Deflection is better for damage mitigation than what I've chosen, and that Reckoning gets worse the slower your weapon gets, so perhaps avoid that and go deeper into Retribution for extra damage instead.

I'm still trying to nail it all down, but the good thing about the Paladin trees is there are plenty of options to suit your play-style and equipment.

Postby JuriOs on Sun Jan 14, 2007 9:56 pm

JuriOs
Forum Regular

I'm rolling on the new PvP-RP server Sporeggar with a bunch of mates. Let me know if you will too! :D
I'd rather dance with you

Postby Tonster on Wed Feb 07, 2007 8:23 am

Tonster

For Hunters here's a pet talent calculator which has been updated for TBC
http://petcalc.fredericfromentin.com/

Postby Mac-10 on Wed Feb 07, 2007 9:19 am

Mac-10
Forum Guru
Microwave Oven

Tonster Seal of command is as you know useful for dishing out the dps and at higher levels it hits very hard, not only that you can cancel it and cause extra damage, as far as Seal of the crusade goes due to the increase in swing speed if you combine it with the other little toys you have not sure the names the ones where on attacking you can gain health or mana back its comes into its own, by switching back and fourth you can keep your hps and mana up to nearly full and tank some really high con stuff without additional healing.

Protection on a pally is ok but the class is protection based by nature so nothing really shines, only thing that was good was the damage shield thing that rogues used to beat themselves to death on but they moved that to a 30 point skill which is a shame, btw persuit or whatever the skill is called which increases your movement speed on or off a horse is priceless.

Postby Tonster on Wed Feb 07, 2007 10:13 am

Tonster

I feel a respec coming on with my Paladin to make it 10 or 15 points in holy and the rest in retribution.

I've actually found recking to be not that great as with a 2 hander it doesn't have that much benefit owing to slow weapon speeds. It's fun when it procs along with Crusader at the start of a fight, but I think on average it doesn't add much to DPS with a 2 hander.

Something like this
http://www.wowhead.com/?talent=qExZZEcct0cuihot

Not sure on the movement speed boost thing, never needed more speed before, generally things come towards you (PvE). I can see it might be useful against kiters in PvP.

Previous

Return to World of Warcraft