Postby Bane on Thu Nov 24, 2005 3:09 pm

Bane
Forum Member

was just wondering if anyone had some standard talent build for me to peruse

Postby Jobabob on Thu Nov 24, 2005 6:32 pm

Jobabob
Forum Bicycle

AKA: urmum
I dont know of any 'standard' build, the main ones used are a variation of 0 21 30 and 0 31 20, I personally find 0 21 30 gives you more abilities and still good dps

Heres my current build, i'm gonna change it for +15% agil when I get the chance though:

Marksmanship Talents - 21 points

Improved Concussive Shot rank 5/5 (essential)
Lethal Shots rank 5/5 (essential)
Aimed Shot rank 1/1 (essential)
Improved Arcane Shot rank 1/5 (just to gain access to next tier)
Mortal Shots rank 5/5 (essential)
Scatter Shot rank 1/1 (I consider this the best hunter talent by far at only 21 points)
Hawk Eye rank 3/3 (essential)

Survival Talents - 30 points

Deflection rank 5/5 (for counterattack purposes)
Entrapment rank 3/5 (aoe freeze, essential for cc)
Improved Wing Clip 3/5 (when it procs, it is the win vs melee)
Savage Strikes rank 2/2 (+20% crit on raptor strike!!)
Trap Efficiency rank 2/2 (essential for things like improved freeze and 900 dmg immolation)
Survivalist rank 5/5 (+10% health is 400 with my gear, which is nice)
Deterrence rank 1/1 (rogues cant actually hit you)

Trap Mastery rank 0/2
Improved Feign Death rank 2/2
(These two im in conflict over, basically with trap mastery your traps will never ever be resisted, with improved feign death no amount of lvl 60 mobs (higher levels still have resist chance) are going to cause you to die, you can always feign against them. Im tempted to lose 4% health to get trap mastery back but my current argument for only using imp FD is that a resisted trap, while annoying, does not mean your death in pve, you can always feign and try again)

Surefooted rank 3/3 (with orcs 25% resist on movement impair this boosts it to an insane 40%)
Killer Instinct rank 3/3 (+3 crit is rather nice)
Counterattack 1/1 (if you get this far down its essential, great against melee)
Lightning Reflexes rank 2/5 (+ agility for the win, I find the health boost of survivalist is better however)
Wyvern Sting rank 0/1 (I just cant trade scatter for a 2 min cooldown ooc talent, even though this could be much better in some situations)

I must say this build really did own the hunter epic mobs, especially the burning steppes and ungoro ones, where I was able to keep counterattacking them to the spot every time I had to melee, vastly decreasing the amount of damage I took. I've also killed rogues in melee range with this build too.
Living the dream in birmingham

Postby Gort on Fri Nov 25, 2005 12:54 pm

Gort
Forum Regular

How much of a help was it against the Silithus/Winterspring ones? I've done the Ungoro/BS ones so far with my bizarre 34/17 Marksman/Beastmaster build but Solenar owned me badly the one time I tried him. Artorius is just the kite, I know I need more practice for that.

Postby Jobabob on Fri Nov 25, 2005 6:10 pm

Jobabob
Forum Bicycle

Really helped for BS, i'll do a quick run down of all the bosses anyway. Theres good tactics in loads of places, though be warned a lot of them are actually WRONG.

Ungoro is easy, just drink a nature protection pot and put aspect of the dodgealot on and melee her to death, Then when the pot runs out stick deterrence on and counterattack, wing clip, etc spam her, you can then feign the hound away or kill it with your pet.

Burning Steppes also pretty easy, I got a mod that stuck a 10 second timer on every time I did the scorpid sting to remove the frenzy effect. Basically just clear a big area (I still had a big drag come up during the fight, but I managed to avoid it thankfully) and use normal melee attacks, wingclipping at the end of the 10 seconds and strafing left or right instead of running away (to avoid daze). With counterattack and improved wing clip getting away is much easier and you dont have to run as far away, can also get more damage in so the fight is quicker.

Winterspring was a bit of a heart wrenching nightmare, you cant get anywhere within 30 yard range or you die. Basically I had fort and shadow prot buffs and 2 mates mount up and ride ahead of me in a kite path. You NEED minor speed on your boots for this one and aspect of the cheetah. Start with a serpent sting and run with aspect of the cheetah directly away, if you zoom your minimap right in you can get an idea of the 30 yard minimum range quite easily (your 41 yard range bar going red also helps). Just requires you to run in as straight a line as possible, stopping every 5 seconds or so to fire serpent again and use arcane shot rank 1 to keep it tagged (like all the epic mobs, debuffs dont keep em tagged). The path I took was at the very top of the epic mobs path all down to the bottom of it, then right and up the hill onto the path, along there upto everlook where the mob died. I only need a major mana pot and a whipper root though I completely ran out of mana at the end and had to do a raptor strike, which thankfully critted the last 700 dmg off before I died!

Silithis I did first time as Id got the hang of the mobs by then, but it certainly wasnt an easy fight. If you dont have shadow prot and a shadow pot then you simply cannot do this fight as you take too much damage. Due to my epic gear I already had 24 shadow prot, 84 resist meant I didnt even need the second shadow pot, so I was lucky there. The mob never does much damage to you with resist/pots, the main thing is just to keep kiting in a circle to keep all the homing bugs in one place so you can rank 1 volley them. Due to the mana cost of this I preferred to use a crystal charge from ungoro wherever possible. Its a tough fight, you need a priest friend again to help clear the mobs and any other aggro during the fight, but the BS one takes a hell of a lot longer and you only get a single chance at it.

My overall advice is that if you dont get pots you will not do silithis or ungoro. If you dont have a priest friend you wont do silithis and if you dont have a couple friends to help you kite (and remove debuff after fight), winterspring will be a lot lot harder. I think i'll adapt a guide soon to make this all a lot clearer, the hardest part is having to kill onyxia and get the 10% droprate item from her. Veterans were incredibly lucky to have it drop 3 times in a row (1/1000), but many guilds very rarely see it!
Last edited by Jobabob on Sat Nov 26, 2005 5:47 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Postby Proteinboy on Fri Nov 25, 2005 9:20 pm

Proteinboy
Forum Member

<- was Jobs priest friend.

Also Hi Gort! How are things on the ebil cultural imperialism servers?

Postby Jobabob on Fri Nov 25, 2005 10:59 pm

Jobabob
Forum Bicycle

Heh, hi pb! Couldnt have done it without you :)

Postby Gort on Sat Nov 26, 2005 5:09 pm

Gort
Forum Regular

Got sinew last night, Ungoro and BS were pretty much as you described so I've got my Enchanted Black Dragon Sinew, Simone's Head, Klinfran's Head in the bank. Tried Solenar once and it was awful cos I just didn't have the strat memorised. Artorius is a pain, looks like there's not much you can do other than learn to jumpshot well, cos Cheetah outruns him. Oh well, I'll keep at it :)

Postby Gort on Mon Nov 28, 2005 5:30 pm

Gort
Forum Regular

Nailed it. Have new bow and staff :)

Postby Karnage on Mon Nov 28, 2005 5:32 pm

Karnage
Forum Regular

Congrats, now you'l have something to use until you get your hands on the Ahn'Qiraj stuff :D

Return to World of Warcraft