Postby DrKazza on Fri Jan 27, 2006 10:07 am

DrKazza
Pinball Wizard

steamID: DrKazza
antispam1: No
orientation: Yes
unless I click this button...
http://www.thotbott.com/?sp=11740

besides I never dissed shadow priests, I just said that you won't be doing as much killing if you're a priest. How many times have shadow priests been asked to heal in a party? 1000s
That's The REVEREND Dr. Kazza to you.

Postby Ronaldo on Fri Jan 27, 2006 11:07 am

Ronaldo
Forum Guru
wibwub ronwah!

Xbox Live: Average Boab
Thanks Tonst mate, Fishy has pm'd me a key and has offered the discs too as backup.

I have changed the config.wtf and realms.wtf to point to euro instead of us. Hopefully google was correct ;)

If not I will probably miss out on some of the trial while I wait on discs to fix my install. But if I like it I will probably buy it.

I will know if I have managed to convert the client to euro around 6 tonight.

Postby Ronaldo on Fri Jan 27, 2006 11:16 am

Ronaldo
Forum Guru
wibwub ronwah!

Erm, I may need to take you up on that offer Tonst :P

Just tried to use the key Fishy gave me to create the account while at work and it says its been used already.

"This authentication key has already been used. Please contact our Account and Billing team via http://www.wow-europe.com/en/support/ "

I really should just buy the damn thing :P

Postby Tonster on Fri Jan 27, 2006 11:21 am

Tonster
Not Twisted, Toothpick or Tuff

steamID: MartianLM
Battle.Net ID: MartianLM#2136
Ron - PM on the way in a min.

A lot of people have recommended you go Priest. It's a good class no doubt and is the most sought after class in any group event, but it can be a boring class to play if you want to be toe to toe with the enemy smashing it in the face with a big mofo axe, because you simply won't be doing that. In instances Priests basically do no damage at all and save all their concentration and mana for healing. Priests keep the damage dealers alive.

If you do decide to become a Shadow Priest (tbh that's amany hours of play away yet) they are still the most sought after class. A priest, be it Shadow or Holy (you can change at any time), is always the one class people struggle to find for their group events.

A group with a priest and a warrior (who know what they're doing) is going to do well almost regardless of what the other classes in the group are. Hell, I did an instance run last week with a level 60 priest who did not have the first fucking clue what to do. He was utterly hopeless, the worst I have ever seen. At one boss (in a large room) we were screaming "HEAL" at him, and we wiped because he didn't do one single heal. When asked why he said "you were all out of range" (he'd stayed at the back of the room). When asked why the <insert swear word of choice> he didn't move into range then he replied, "I hadn't thought of that". We were utterly dumbfounded. In the end after many more such incidents (the only heal he knew how to use was an AoE heal which is very mana inefficient when only healing 1 person) we assumed he'd bought his account. You simply don't get to 60 being as bad as he was. The point is, despite how utterly utterly useless the priest was, thanks to what he was doing we actually completed the instance (Scholomance 5 man which can be tough).

Any class is going to get into a group, healers more so, all classes have their strengths and usefulness. Just play the class which you like best! Let me reitterate that - play the class you like best! Also note that you can have about 8 characters per server, so feel free to experiment.

Here's my quick rundown of them, in what in my experience is the order most desired for group games. Bear in mind we're talking level 60 type groups, before then class mixes matter a lot less. Level 60 will take you months to reach.

Priest
Heals better than any other, and Shadow Priest can do massive damage at the end game. Can be tedious to level, and not a macho class. Wears only cloth armour. Can mind control other mobs and even people in PvP. Have a buff which gives increased health to anyone they cast it on. I'm told a Shadow Priest is also pretty fearsome in PvP.

Warrior
Meat shield and aggro master. Warrior is in my opinion the most difficult class to play. Multiple stances giving different benefits. In groups a Warriors job is to make the mobs hate him most, so they hit him and no-one else. Too often though Warriors think they are there to kill the mobs. This is not so, Warriors are there to be hit by every mob if possible because of all the classes they are the ones who can take it best. Warriors largely cannot heal themselves in combat, and can't heal anyone else. Warriors can use almost all weapons, and look cool in heavy armour. Warriors must be toe-to-toe with their enemy and have extremely limited ranged ability.

Druid
Secondary healer, almost as good as a priest and regularly used as a replacement if no priest can be found. Druids are a hybrid class being able to both cast and melee. Druids can shapeshift giving them different skills (e.g. speed, tanking, stealth). A great utility class with a good buff (increases all stats to anyone it's cast on) and heals. Jack of all trades. Druids are also the only class that can rez dead players in battle, though only once every 30 minutes.

Mage
Lightly armoured ranged damage dealer. When it comes to burst damage no-one can match a Mage, they hit hard and fast from range using magic. They also have CC (crowd control) abilities, primarily Polymorph, which turns a target into a sheep for up to 60 secs. Simply the coolest spell in the game :D Got a huge monster beating the crap out of you? Turn the fecker into a sheep :D Mages also do the best Area of Effect (AoE) cast which is great, and often essential for taking out large groups of mobs. This cast alone can do more dps than anything else in the game. There is an almost impossible to get weapon which does around 80 dps that every melee class in the realm wants. With skills and potions etc someone wielding it may get 100dps. Frankly a Mage laughs at that dps. Put 10 mobs in front of us and let rip with AoE. Over 10 secs we do 1192 damage per mob = 1192 dps and that's before potions and skills are factored in ;) That said we then need the heavy armour wearers to bail us out of all the aggro we just just created :D Also Mages are shafted when they're out of mana.

My main is a Mage :D

Downside to it is "give me water", "please can I have some water", "make me some water", <trade window opens without warning> followed by a PM from the person "water". :( Mages are known for 3 things - Taxi, shepherd, water dispenser (portal, sheep, water).

Rogue
Stealth is their weapon, medium armour and high dps. Rogues can pick locks, go invisible, and stun people. Rogues are a regular choice of gankers being able to sneak up undetected. They are also highly useful in instances for just the same reason, being able to imobilise 1-2 mobs to take them out of the equation for a minute. Combine a rgue with a mage for great crowd control that let's you pull mobs one at a time so you fight them on your terms. Rogues vanish ability also means that when instances go tits up and a wipe is inevitable, they can vanish and survive. This doesn't help anyone else, but does cut down on Rogue repair bills and group down time (as they don't have to be rezzed). If you like sneaking around, popping out of nowhere and mullering the bejesus out of some poor unsuspecting mob, this is the class for you. One other advantage they have is their DPS is sustainable. Not needing mana they just keep on hitting for as long as is needed. Great class for PvP, though Hunters pwn them. THat said all classes have at least one other class which kicks their arse. Rock, scissors, paper...

Warlock
Ranged spellcaster, doesn't do much damage in short fights but in longer fights their damage over time spells (DoTs) put them right up there with the rest of them. They also can summon 1 of 6(?) pets which have differing abilities. The main reason for bringing a Warlock to a party is their Soulstone ability. This gets cast on someone who can rez, then if there's a wipe the rezzer uses the soustone to come back to life and rez everyone. A great time saver. Warlocks can also summon 1 person at a time (requires 2 other people to help you) from anywhere, which cuts down travel time. Warlocks look moody and cast dark magic, but are not essential for a group. A correctly specced Warlock (demonology?) is apparently very deadly in PvP. Warlocks get a free mount at level 40.

Hunter
IMO the best class to solo with but bottom of the barrel I'm afraid as far as grouping choice goes. Minimal down time as your pet takes all the damage. Pets are a hunters defining attribute and lend a very different play style. Hunters must tame their pets, feed them, keep them to improve their loyalty and so on. Originally Hunters were the class of choice for pulling in an instance, but these days it's done by warriors. Their pulling ability was their main attribute in an instance, but now that warriors do it you just don't need a hunter in an instance. They do bring some handy traits though, such as the traps they can lay, a pet which can pull aggro off the healer, and some very good dps. Hunters can also feign death, which if successful (it usually is) means the mobs leave you alone.

----
Right, I've left out of the above 2 classes: Shaman and Paladin. Shaman are Horde only, and Pallies are Alliance only. All other classes are there for both sides. TBH I don't know where a Shaman fits in to the Horde side of things as I play mainly Alliance, so I left them out of the list entirely. Also as I don't PvP I don't really meet any, so I don't really know what they are like. One thing I DO know though is the Alliance hate Shamans like no other, they are apparently over powered and seemingly gods of PvP from the stuff I read. Shamans use totems which they drop that give benefits to them with a small area of the totem. They can heal themselves and others, plus are good at melee combat. A hybrid a bit like Druids, but apparently much tougher.

Paladins are, as Steff so rightly put, "healers in plate". The most surviveable class in the game and brings a lot to a group, such as heals, shields, tankability, cures and rezzes. The downside is they're not very good at any of it. Jack of all trades, master of none. They're not hard to kill in PvP, they just take a long time to kill as they can heal themselves and shield themselves. They have no ranged attack except for versus undead. They get a fee mount at level 40.

It should be noted that in any 10 man raid (over 5 people in a group is called a 'raid') the key to success is variety. All classes bring something to the party. The holy trinity of Priest/Warrior/Mage still exists, but the other classes can really add something. So choose what you like, they're all good just for different reasons.

Postby DrKazza on Fri Jan 27, 2006 11:39 am

DrKazza
Pinball Wizard

Note on warlocks... they have cloth armour and have a couple of spells that do insane damage (~3K critical hits these days)... unfortunately that means they're aggro magnets and tend to run round screaming for healing!

Postby Mac-10 on Fri Jan 27, 2006 11:45 am

Mac-10
Forum Guru
Microwave Oven

DrKazza wrote:unless I click this button...

besides I never dissed shadow priests, I just said that you won't be doing as much killing if you're a priest. How many times have shadow priests been asked to heal in a party? 1000s

Was only joking m8y :P

A shadow priest is also a bloody good soloer.

Postby Tonster on Fri Jan 27, 2006 11:51 am

Tonster

I've played most classes to about level 20 and the one I found toughest, or at the least the most frustrating to level was Warrior. So much downtime without heals means you need lots of bandages and/or cooking/fishing which are just damn boring.

Postby feign on Fri Jan 27, 2006 11:53 am

feign
Forum Bicycle
left then right and twist 2, 3

DrKazza wrote:unless I click this button...

http://www.thotbott.com/?sp=988

whooooosh.

gosh, this is like a pbem rpg!

excitement!

Postby Tonster on Fri Jan 27, 2006 11:59 am

Tonster

feign wrote:gosh, this is like a pbem rpg!

whooooosh.

Is pbem a typo, an acronym, or a welsh word for catarrh?

Postby shepherdspie on Fri Jan 27, 2006 12:12 pm

shepherdspie
Forum Member

for what it's worth if i were to reroll a damage dealererererer type thing i'd definately go for warlock, they are just so damned sexeh nowadays :) much prefer druidy to priest though, tis pretty satisfying having someone try slay you, you run away, stealth, return and fight when you're ready rather than being ganked mid fight (they can also track peeps which is great fun also) besides i only play a resto druid so i'm allowed to be a little gurleh and run away lots :D v ammusing until a rogue uses sprint or somin gay happens :)

Shaman is great fun until i run out of mana, now if had innervate and plate that would be lovely (and fair :))

Postby Ronaldo on Fri Jan 27, 2006 12:28 pm

Ronaldo
Forum Guru
wibwub ronwah!

Thanks for the PM tonst, I will try it when I get home tonight.

Think I might be going out to buy the game this weekend if all goes well :)

Oh and thanks also for the shit loads of info on classes, hopefully a fun weekend awaits :)

Postby Mister666 on Fri Jan 27, 2006 12:40 pm

Mister666
Forum Guru
tabard

steamID: Sixxor
PSN: Sixxor
Xbox Live: Sixxor
AKA: Sixxor/Sixxor666
Twitter: @DonkeyBadger
antispam1: Yes
orientation: No
Battle.Net ID: Sixxor#2147
Tonster wrote:One thing I DO know though is the Alliance hate Shamans like no other, they are apparently over powered and seemingly gods of PvP from the stuff I read. Shamans use totems which they drop that give benefits to them with a small area of the totem. They can heal themselves and others, plus are good at melee combat. A hybrid a bit like Druids, but apparently much tougher.

Clearely written from an Alliance perspective, but unsurprisingly it's exactly the same on the other side fo the fence. Horde players despise paladins as much as Alliance players despise shamans.

I personally avoid paladins in PvP, not because they kill me easily or are difficult for me to kill, but just because they take so fking long to kill.
"Oh no I'm down to 10% health, better put my shield of LOL IMMUNE on. Oh look I can also fully heal myself while I'm shielded, hahaha".
As a rogue my strength is in burst melee damage for taking tagets out quickly, but when fighting pallies I lose this advantage, so they have time to heal/stun get help. There are far easier targets for me to go for. :)

I refer you to this article from SA: http://www.somethingawful.com/articles.php?a=3391

In particular the last paragraph has it spot on:

It’s the horde’s fault you keep dying – shamans are clearly overpowered, Will of the Forsaken wrecks your character class and Blizzard clearly favors them over the Alliance.

(snip...)

It’s the Alliance’s fault you keep dying – paladins are invincible, Perception wrecks your character class and Blizzard clearly favors them over the Horde.

Postby Tonster on Fri Jan 27, 2006 12:50 pm

Tonster

Ronaldo wrote:Oh and thanks also for the shit loads of info on classes

It's a slow day at work :E

Mister666 wrote:I personally avoid paladins in PvP, not because they kill me easily or are difficult for me to kill, but just because they take so fking long to kill.
"Oh no I'm down to 10% health, better put my shield of LOL IMMUNE on. Oh look I can also fully heal myself while I'm shielded, hahaha".

I have a level 27 pally and it can be a pretty boring class to play. Have you ever seen a paladin duel? Oh my god that is the single most boring event in the entire game. Half an hour of watching to people hit each other every 3 seconds. *yaaaaawn*.

Postby DrKazza on Fri Jan 27, 2006 2:00 pm

DrKazza
Pinball Wizard

Postby Tuff on Fri Jan 27, 2006 2:09 pm

Tuff
Forum Bicycle
No muff 2 Tuff, we dive at 5.

steamID: Tuff
I tend to avoid pallys in pvp if I can also because of the 10% immune and heal thing. They are very, very beatable, it just takes way too fucking long.

Postby feign on Fri Jan 27, 2006 2:29 pm

feign
Forum Bicycle
left then right and twist 2, 3

pbem = play by email

dispell
shield
dot
dot
silence
fear
dispell
mind blast
mind flay
dot
dispell
shield
silence

etc

tbh, you'd probably win, but the nicest thing about the whole class balance thing, is the lack of the "I win" button, stealth excepted (says the man with a maxed rogue).

The pallies "I don't lose" button got a little more frustrating once they got the multiple stuns and ranged attacks, but so what.

Postby DrKazza on Fri Jan 27, 2006 3:01 pm

DrKazza
Pinball Wizard

I only win because you'll be focussed on my succubus' stockings too much.

PLUS You can't even type, how can you do all that seqence....

(btw I've just hit the following:
Soulstone, fear, curse of tongues death coil, while you've been eating)

Postby Eric on Fri Jan 27, 2006 4:21 pm

Eric
Forum Bicycle

I wouldn't even say shamans are overpowered, they're just attack-based hybrid classes whilst pallies are def based ones. Now warlocks...there's an overpowered class ;)

Fear, seduce, fear, seduce, fear, seduce, fear, seduce. Even with DR, they're a pain in the arse :E

Postby Mr.Fishcakes on Fri Jan 27, 2006 4:51 pm

Mr.Fishcakes
Forum Guru

Shadow Priests > all tbh

Having said that, im having a hoot playing my rogue at the moment. Just reached lvl 40 and its like easymode tbh.

Postby DrKazza on Fri Jan 27, 2006 4:55 pm

DrKazza
Pinball Wizard

Work Crits you for 14809 damage.
your patience takes a 10% damage to durability
you are ready to kill

PreviousNext

Return to World of Warcraft