steamID: Sixxor
PSN: Sixxor
Xbox Live: Sixxor
AKA: Sixxor/Sixxor666
Twitter: @DonkeyBadger
antispam1: Yes
orientation: No
Battle.Net ID: Sixxor#2147
Dirty Bomb is now in open beta, and it's actually pretty fun.

Anyone else playing? Anyone else even heard of it? It's not been very well publicised to be fair.

For those that don't know it's a new objective based team shooter by Splash Damage, the same guys that did the excellent Wolfenstein and Quake Wars Enemy Territory games, and the less excellent but still fun and unfairly poorly rated (in my opinion) Brink. It's sort of a mashup of TF2 and Enemy Territory with some of the speed and mobility of Brink.
Website here: http://dirtybomb.nexon.net/

You can download it on Steam and jump in now, it's done on a free to play model but is not totally evil and isn't "pay to win".

Rather than classes there are lots of unique 'Mercs' which are kinda like the heroes in the likes of LoL, DotA, HotS etc in that they all have their own unique abilities and personality. Several of them are on free rotation every week and everyone gets two of them permanently unlocked for free (a medic type and an assault type who can call in airstrikes).

To me it feels a lot like the ET games of old which I loved (especially Wolf ET) with lots of new stuff thrown in.

Make sure you watch the tutorial as it specifically tells you to fire on the move and from the hip rather than iron sighting as the time it takes to iron sight can be your death here. Every time I'm spectating you can spot the COD players and they're iron sighting all the time and then complaining that they're getting slaughtered. Clearly they didn't watch the tutorial.

EDIT: Behold, a trailer!

Re: So, Dirty Bomb then....

Postby Tonster on Mon Aug 10, 2015 12:58 pm

Tonster
Not Twisted, Toothpick or Tuff

steamID: MartianLM
antispam1: No
orientation: Yes
Battle.Net ID: MartianLM#2136
*strokes chin* Hmm, wife and kids are away at the weekend, I think I now know what I'll be doing having quit WoW... again.

Agreed about Brink.

And because it's not worth creating a new post for, if you like Fallout but haven't played New Vegas, omg get it. I was expecting a 5 hour mod type thing, but I've racked up shit ton of hours on it. And it's normally available for next to nothing in the Steam sales as it's soooo old (as in it's as good as any game out now), it's stupidly good value for money. Ideal for the OCD kleptomaniacs out there waiting for the next Borderlands game or Fallout 4.

Postby Mister666 on Thu Aug 13, 2015 11:27 pm

Mister666
Forum Guru
tabard

Tonster wrote:*strokes chin* Hmm, wife and kids are away at the weekend, I think I now know what I'll be doing having quit WoW... again.

Agreed about Brink.

And because it's not worth creating a new post for, if you like Fallout but haven't played New Vegas, omg get it. I was expecting a 5 hour mod type thing, but I've racked up shit ton of hours on it. And it's normally available for next to nothing in the Steam sales as it's soooo old (as in it's as good as any game out now), it's stupidly good value for money. Ideal for the OCD kleptomaniacs out there waiting for the next Borderlands game or Fallout 4.

Coincidentally, I've just started playing WoW again.... Again. Just working my way through the Draenor content. Can't see me playing it for very long though as my old guild has evaporated and the server I'm on is dead.

Still playing Dirty Bomb as well though.

I've actually had New Vegas for ages, since it was in a Steam sale a million years ago, but I've never played it. I never really got into Fallout 3 though. It was because it used the Oblivion engine and I'd just finished playing Oblivion to death when it came out so it felt too similar to a game I was sick of, even though it was a completely different setting.

Postby Tonster on Sat Aug 15, 2015 6:08 pm

Tonster
Not Twisted, Toothpick or Tuff

steamID: MartianLM
antispam1: No
orientation: Yes
Battle.Net ID: MartianLM#2136
Tried Dirty Bomb but it gave my PCs graphics abilities a good kicking in the nuts. Turned all graphics settings down to low or off, turned vsync on and dropped the resolution down to half the natural rez, and it was choppy. Played the tutorial and then tried to join a server, but it couldn't seem to find one. Gave up and went off to play Payday 2.

It's still in beta so I'll forgive it this time ;)

Postby Mister666 on Mon Aug 17, 2015 5:23 pm

Mister666
Forum Guru
tabard

Tonster wrote:Tried Dirty Bomb but it gave my PCs graphics abilities a good kicking in the nuts. Turned all graphics settings down to low or off, turned vsync on and dropped the resolution down to half the natural rez, and it was choppy. Played the tutorial and then tried to join a server, but it couldn't seem to find one. Gave up and went off to play Payday 2.

It's still in beta so I'll forgive it this time ;)

Works fine for me.. :P
Some flakiness in the matchmaking and server finding sometimes and some UI elements need polishing/rejigging, but overall I think it's pretty decent for a beta.

Postby Klors on Mon Oct 12, 2015 5:18 pm

Klors
Forum Guru
Would fuck the antichrist

Never heard of it!

Might give it a try... been Diablo IIIing a lot recently... Overwatch is on its way and doesn't look too dissimilar
Klors Trofobik

Postby Mister666 on Fri Nov 13, 2015 2:55 pm

Mister666
Forum Guru
tabard

Yeah unfortunately I think that once Overwatch comes out, it's really going to hurt Dirty Bomb. Especially since DB is still in beta and has been for ages now.
It's a shame because DB is excellent, but it will certainly lose a lot of players to Overwatch (myself included more than likely).

Return to General Chat