Postby LSM on Thu Nov 20, 2014 9:30 am

LSM
Forum Bicycle
Lazy Space Monkey

steamID: LSM
PSN: messele
AKA: Lt. Sex Machine
Twitter: messele
Did anybody chuck a few shekels into Braben's kickstarter cap? Now that release date is near and a nuke has been dropped this week (they only just realised for some technical reason or other it requires a net connection, even though they said it wouldn't when making the original pitch...hmmm).

Anybody still fired up about this, better still some first hand experience of how it stacks up compared to the purity of the original as I am very much dangling a leg on either side of the fence right now and it's seriously disappointing me balls.

Re: So, Elite: Dangerous then...

Postby DrKazza on Thu Nov 20, 2014 2:35 pm

DrKazza
Pinball Wizard

steamID: DrKazza
antispam1: No
orientation: Yes
I've played a couple of the tutorial missions... struggling a bit with mouse control but going to try with a joystick that the kids are getting me for christmas

the graphics is amazing and the feel of the cockpit & controls is SO ELITE (without being naff) honestly you're watching the radar and pulling off moves that throw you straight back to the excitement of 30 years ago

Not had a chance to play an real pvp combat or really get into the game, just literally the tutorials
I think unfortunately i don't have the time to invest in a game like this but i am excited about the release.
That's The REVEREND Dr. Kazza to you.

Postby LSM on Thu Nov 20, 2014 2:49 pm

LSM
Forum Bicycle
Lazy Space Monkey

steamID: LSM
PSN: messele
AKA: Lt. Sex Machine
Twitter: messele
That's exactly my problem Kazza, I really miss having the time to get properly immersed in games that deserve that level commitment.

I take that as the first endorsement then and take the Joystick comment on board as I have been there with other games.

Postby Klors on Thu Nov 20, 2014 5:56 pm

Klors
Forum Guru
Would fuck the antichrist

I backed the kickstarter, aye.

Several friends have said it's good, though I cba with betas any more... I barely have time to play the purchased games.

I shall be playing it once live though, I might see if I can use the arrow keys like the good old days till I get frustrated trying to dock into some cuboctahedra's letterbox and try and dig out the decade old stick that may or may not still work.
Klors Trofobik

Postby DrKazza on Fri Nov 21, 2014 9:52 am

DrKazza
Pinball Wizard

steamID: DrKazza
Klors wrote:Several friends have said it's good, though I cba with betas any more... I barely have time to play the purchased games.

THIS

Klors wrote:till I get frustrated trying to dock into some cuboctahedra's letterbox

actually i found the hardest thing was working out which of the faces the entrance was on, aside from that it was ok actually docking. Once you're inside you then need to Land on a docking port which needs to be a bit more forgiving.
That's The REVEREND Dr. Kazza to you.

Postby Mr.Fishcakes on Sat Nov 22, 2014 10:30 pm

Mr.Fishcakes
Forum Guru

It's pretty with the Oculus Rift! Gameplay was ok last time I played a few months ago. Fairly standard Elite fare really. There were a few issues with trading costs when I last played but apparently they have tweaked them since.

Postby Tonster on Fri Nov 28, 2014 2:14 pm

Tonster
Not Twisted, Toothpick or Tuff

steamID: MartianLM
Battle.Net ID: MartianLM#2136
I backed the kickstarter but haven't paid any attention since. When's it actually out?

Postby Klors on Fri Nov 28, 2014 2:22 pm

Klors
Forum Guru

Gamma has just come out and December 16th for release
Klors Trofobik

Postby Tonster on Thu Jan 01, 2015 3:54 pm

Tonster

Ref, do you know anything about this (no I will not apologise for the size of the image!)...

Postby Cacker on Fri Jan 02, 2015 9:25 am

Cacker
Site Admin
4th floor ponce

steamID: Cacker
PSN: Cacker67
you know the answer, mr fairbairn obviously donated and had his named entered into the game. or someone else with that name did. or the random name generator came up with it. check if there's an ASDA onboard the station, that should be the tell tale.
/Chairs

Cacker

Postby Tonster on Fri Jan 02, 2015 10:51 am

Tonster

After getting past the initial learning curve I'm quite enjoying the game. I'm not convinced yet about the long term playability as so far most of the fun has been in learing how to do stuff and experiencing things for the first time. How much fun it will be after the first 100 times remains to be seen.

So many of the sound effects are truly superb, and combined with one-screen cues give the greatest sense of being in a machine in space that I've ever experienced (crank up the volume for full effect). Every time I jump into a system I feel like I just took part in a scene from one of the latest Star Trek movies. They've also done a good job of making flying challenging and skillful without being frustrating (after the initial learning curve and once you've set your controls up properly and not as per the default). I've had some real 'moments' in combat, punching the air after a hard fought victory, or just admiring the grace of an Imperial Clipper (big mofo ship) manouvering against me elegantly in battle.

Having to balance your power distribution in combat (shields, engines, weapons, with insufficient power to have them all at full power) along with varying abilities to turn, boost etc gives combat some real nuances, including switching off assists to perform some truly advanced manouvers. A bit like movement in TFC, it takes a long time to become a master, which is one of the draws of the game for me.

They've massively improved combat from Frontier Elite where it was basically two ships travelling at ludicrous speed sweeping past each other in an almost untargettable fashion. To get around this there are now 3 types of travel. The first is system to system travel (Hyperspeed). This is near instantaneous and can't be interrupted once you jump. Then there's normal cruising/flight. This is where all combat takes place and is much more in the Freespace / Tie Fighter / Freelancer territory. Then there's Supercruise, which is the middle tier of flying used for moving astronomical distrances between stars and space stations within systems. No combat takes place here but you can be 'interdicted' which drops you out of supercruise and straight into a fight at normal speed (though there is a microgame which means you can attempt to resist the interdiction). This single change removes the attrocious Frontier battle problem.

I also appreciate that they've made landing challenging, none of this 'press 1 key to land' nonsense. For years I've yearned for a game like Elite that properly challenges you to land, and punishes you for fucking it up. They've done this again here though the punishment is far less severe than the original game. Landing is complicated and hard to start with, but after a number of attempts you'll realise it's not that bad at all, but you still have to pay attention. As far as I've seen so far there is no 'auto-landing' module you can buy.

Everything is hard won, you earn everything you get and it gives a much greater feeling of achievement and reward than most other games that just throw money and epic gear at you. Survival is a constant struggle, not a given assurance. Indeed if you leave a space station with less money than it costs to replace your ship (insurance cost), if you die you've lost everything, absolutely everything.

Play styles are optional, primarily centered around trade, combat and exploration, with different ships and ship configurations favouring each. In my limited experience it feels like you need to go the combat route initially to get some capital so you can do the other game play types, but you need to know how to fight and when to run so it's a recommended way to start that way anyway.

This is how I got started in the game, it's a good method but you may prefer the fun of working this stuff out for yourself. I was helped massively by this thread.

To get started I went to a system nav point (the jump-in point for all ships) in a non-anarchy system, scanned arriving ships to check the wanted status, and killed all with a wanted status. You can earn very decent early money doing this. As soon as I could afford it I got gimballed weapons.

Elite status now consists of 3 types - combat, trade and exploration. I've played for about 15 hours now purely in bounty hunting, and have only ranked up once. I can't imagine the time investment required for just one Elite status let alone 3.

I love the 'make your own destiny' approach of this sandbox game, but it's clearly not going to be to everyone's taste. There's no story and no particular aim, it's purely sandbox. It requires a fair time investment up front to get to grips with the mechanics.

While there is multiplayer it's very limited in scope. I'm still getting my head aroudn what is and isn't possible. With 400 billion stars, the players are spread pretty thin.

Really what you've got is a true remake of Elite, unfortunately therefore it's devoid of modern gaming breadth and depth. Trade with NPCs, explore a entire galaxy, or fight with NPCs (as a pirate or bounty hunter), there is nothing more to this game, so if that's not to your liking then you have been warned. Also, Frontier Elite had planetary landing, there's none of that here which is a shame.

Postby Cacker on Sat Jan 03, 2015 1:44 pm

Cacker
Site Admin
4th floor ponce

I've just started playing it and the first time I got pulled out of supercruise .. I immediately thought .. Thargoids !! however it was just another pirate sidewinder.

The battles are long and hard, bring down shields before doing hull damage. they're not simple 3/4 pass battles, first tutorial battle took me about 5 minutes to take down the first enemy. But that's just getting used to the controls. I thought it would be like riding a bicycle, having played Elite when I was a teen, but it's just like starting all over again, which is nice.

The launch/landing is a nice touch and although protracted it does add to the immersion and I don't mind it at all. It does feel it a bit odd if you use a joystick because some of the menus are joystick driven and some are mouse driven. I think I just need to check my key bindings.

joystick works well actually, because if you have a hat on the stick you can use that for lateral and vertical thrust, which is a must for combat and manoeuvres around stations.

the sounds are indeed awesome.

it really is an awesome successor to Elite. but the longevity as Tonst says, is questionable for most people who've already played the original Elite because, it pretty much has the same aspects of the original, so in that sense, you know what to expect.
/Chairs

Cacker

Postby Tonster on Sat Jan 03, 2015 5:19 pm

Tonster

The tutorial battles are probably the hardest thing you will do as you only have fixed guns and no skill. That said most battles I've fought have been relatively long compared to most other games, there's real tactics to employ that can make a huge difference instead of the usual sort of thing where you kill something in a few hits. This takes dozens meaning you can survive being jumped, or lose a target you would otherwise have beaten.

I've actually settled on using mouse and keyboard and have abandoned the joystick as there's too much swapping between keyboard, mouse and joystick otherwise. Joystick does feel better though.

Check the thread I linked in the spoiler above for how to bind your keys better, makes a HUGE difference (I actually later modified it slightly to WASD for back/forward/left/right thrust, and RF keys for up/down, though there are other binds to adjust as well and I recommend what's in the thread). On my joystick I have six buttons to the side of the base which I used to bind 100% speed, 75%, 50%, 25%, 0%. You don't need any other speed settings (unless you count boost and jump modes)

Postby Klors on Sat Jan 03, 2015 10:46 pm

Klors
Forum Guru

Tonster wrote:As far as I've seen so far there is no 'auto-landing' module you can buy.
You can buy a docking computer which does it all.

Tonster wrote:Indeed if you leave a space station with less money than it costs to replace your ship (insurance cost), if you die you've lost everything, absolutely everything.
I'm pretty sure you can actually take a loan out if you don't have the ready cash... I've not done it but that's the way a friend described it.
Klors Trofobik

Postby Klors on Sat Jan 03, 2015 11:51 pm

Klors
Forum Guru

I've just seen a Mrs Trellis of North Wales fly past me in an Asp! :)
Klors Trofobik

Postby Tonster on Sun Jan 04, 2015 3:13 pm

Tonster

Yeah I saw the docking computer thingy later on that day :) Also read on the forums people saying it's a bit buggy and docking is very slow. It's only actually useful on the largest ships that only just fit through the station letterbox as it will do that bit for you with no problems.

And it is entirely possible to be unable to buy the cost of insurance, it's the #1 ragequit reason. e.g.
https://forums.frontier.co.uk/showthread.php?t=91947
Loads more like that. Be careful, always have like 3x more money than the rebuy cost.

Postby Cacker on Fri Apr 17, 2015 6:24 pm

Cacker
Site Admin
4th floor ponce

So since the wings update, I've given it another stab and finding it fun playing on a private server with m8s (well, not mates, tk and other peeps). The ingame squeeky comms are well done and preferable over teamspeak.

So it is actually a lot of fun. And then I built a home made tracker ir (google diy tracker ir) .. and it was fun+1. Then I realised I could put it on all 3 screens, fun+2. Then I tried teeks' recently purchased oculus rift .. omg, fun+32, apart from the feeling of wanting to vom after 5 mins.

Besides the game peripheral tweaks, finding it pretty cool going around chasing bounties, pulling people out of supercruise, getting involved in conflicts (think eve battles on a tiny scale .. 15-50 ships) where you can take sides and get paid !

And I've still only just to the cobra (sidewinder -> eagle -> viper -> cobra mk III) .. there's something special about getting the original Elite start ship.
/Chairs

Cacker

Postby Mister666 on Thu Jun 04, 2015 2:02 pm

Mister666
Forum Guru
tabard

steamID: Sixxor
PSN: Sixxor
Xbox Live: Sixxor
AKA: Sixxor/Sixxor666
Twitter: @DonkeyBadger
antispam1: Yes
orientation: No
Battle.Net ID: Sixxor#2147
Been playing since December when it came out and it's awesome. I'm mostly focussing on exploration, with a bit of bounty hunting when I get bored of that.

I went a slightly different route to Cacker on ships, I went Sidewinder -> Adder -> Cobra mk III -> Type 6 -> Asp -> Vulture.
A friend boosted me a bit to get me out of the Sidey by dropping loads of Palladium for me to pick up which I would then go and sell. Only did this until I had enough to buy the Adder then I used that for rare trading until I could get the Cobra, then more rare trading and a bit of low level bounty hunting until I got the Type 6 and started doing some mass commodity trading to make more monies.
Mass trading in the Type 6 was lucrative but incredibly boring though so I grinded at it until I could afford and Asp then just buggered off into the black to explore. Several weeks later I returned after visiting such wonders as VY Canis Majoris (biggest known star in the galaxy), and many nebulae and amazing looking black holes, sold that data for about 10 million and picked up a Vulture.
The Vulture is awesome for bounty hunting as it's much tougher than the other small fighters (Eagle, Viper, etc) and has 2 large weapon mounts as opposed to the small or medium ones one the other fighters. This means with 2 large lasers along with the strong shields and armour, I can take on the big ships such as Anacondas, Pythons and Imperial Clippers with ease by taking out their power plants. :)

So yeah, Asp for exploring and Vulture for fighting. Happy with that at the moment but I will pick up an Imperial Clipper once I have enough money as that is one sexy looking ship. I already have the required Imperial rank (Baron), just need the money.
Also looking forward to seeing the new ships in the 1.3 patch, which should be going live soon as it's currently in closed beta.

Feel free to add me in game - CMDR Sixxor.

Postby Tonster on Fri Jun 12, 2015 11:25 pm

Tonster

Haven't played for ages. Decided to give it a go now and see what's changed. Just destroyed a shifty looking wanted character called 'Klors' ;) 17.5k reward, though I would have happily paid them that :naughty:

Postby Klors on Mon Oct 12, 2015 5:15 pm

Klors
Forum Guru

There's no way I'm worth that much :)
Klors Trofobik

Return to General Chat