Does anyone know about HR process or General recruiting?

A place for all your general chat needs

Does anyone know about HR process or General recruiting?

Postby PurpleRon on Tue Feb 18, 2014 9:59 pm

PurpleRon
Forum Regular
Purple Heart...S-S-S-Saigon

steamID: PurpleRon
Thought i had seen it all then today happened. Just wondering if anyone else has had a similar experience and the final outcome?

Sitrep -

Applied for Job X.
Invited to interview for Job X and given Job X full position description and terms and benefits.
1st Interview for job X, met with both CEO and CTO at company HQ, all goes well.
Invited for second interview for Job X at different office, met with other interviewers who tell me glad that i am here to apply for Job X
Interview goes well and within matter of hours HR Director phones to tell me would like to meet to discuss terms - ob very happy to do so.

Travel to head office today, and HR director makes offer of job Z
Job Z unlike Job X
Job Z a middle position in company not senior as per Job X
Job Z 30k less money than Job X

So is this just complete incompetence, trying it on - or just pretty normal for the UK marketplace? Im shocked, feel pretty emotionally shattered by it all.

Thoughts anyone?

I have politely as I can said no to the offer but would be happy to discuss the terms of the job I actually applied for.
By giving us the opinions of the uneducated, journalism keeps us in touch with the ignorance of the community.

Re: Does anyone know about HR process or General recruiting?

Postby Cannon_Fodda on Wed Feb 19, 2014 2:40 am

Cannon_Fodda
Alan Michel Jarre

steamID: ChimeraX
Xbox Live: chimerax73
Twitter: chimerax
antispam1: Yes
orientation: No
It's happened to me a couple of times. Usually where job X has been advertised because their policy dictates that they have to, but everyone internally knows it's pretty much been ring fenced for someone internal. Job Z is usually because they like what you have to offer, but tough shit, the advertised position was already sorted.

Postby Twisted on Wed Feb 19, 2014 10:45 am

Twisted
Forum Guru
The Barbarian Genocide

steamID: Litation
Xbox Live: Litation
orientation: Yes
Its pretty normal in my experience when you interview its only the interviewee who is looking at one particular position the interviewers especially in bigger organisations might be trying to fill any number of roles so if they feel you aren't suited to the role you think you are and they like you then can offer you another position.
Just because I don't care doesn't mean I don't understand.

Physical rape is psychological Murder.

Postby LSM on Wed Feb 19, 2014 11:45 am

LSM
Forum Bicycle
Lazy Space Monkey

steamID: LSM
PSN: messele
AKA: Lt. Sex Machine
Twitter: messele
CF is bang on with this one I reckon. Unfortunately UK equal opportunity law dictates that you have to open up vacancies both internally and externally (i.e. everybody) and what essentially happens is all the candidates both internal and external who apply are wasting their time. The interviewers know they are wasting their time as they tick all the boxes on the monitoring form. Apart from the 'chosen one' that is. They'd have to pull their kecks down and take a steaming turd right in front of them to blow it.

If they are a large enough organisation they may hope to pick up potential (hello, that's you) but they are not overly fussed either way usually as valid vacancies would have been advertised alongside the one you applied for.

It's all just circumventing yet another badly thought through law and a total waste of everybody's time. Bit like everything else that exists relating to HR really - the department of slimy law-dodging.

Postby Cacker on Thu Feb 20, 2014 8:24 pm

Cacker
Site Admin
4th floor ponce

steamID: Cacker
PSN: Cacker67
antispam1: No
As Dudley Moore once said, in a drunken stupor, "they're all c*nts out there"
/Chairs

Cacker

Postby Sprite on Sun Apr 06, 2014 9:21 am

Sprite
Forum Regular
He lives

Left the New Zealand life and Fujitsu then Ron?

You looking for work as an Senior Architect?

30k does seem like a wild gap, particularly unusual as you've meet with CEO and CTO. You wouldn't expect to meet somebody at that level unless it's an extremely small company or the position has some weight seniority wise. Likely just trying to get you cheap.

Providing you don't mind being on a mobile contract, look at the I.T Consultancy market. The likes of Accenture, IBM, Capgemini, Atos, Capita, Cognizant, Wipro etc. Most positions may be listed as "London" but typically you'll be home 1-2 days a week and on client site the rest.

I know a few people ranging from Architect upto Chief Architect level in the industry, drop me a message if you want some more info.

Postby PurpleRon on Wed Apr 16, 2014 1:26 pm

PurpleRon
Forum Regular
Purple Heart...S-S-S-Saigon

steamID: PurpleRon
Well, alls well I guess, yesterday I signed an offer to join Capita. More money than the original job and a decent car allowance so feeling pretty chilled right now.
By giving us the opinions of the uneducated, journalism keeps us in touch with the ignorance of the community.

Postby Mr.Blonde on Thu Apr 17, 2014 11:46 am

Mr.Blonde
Forum Guru
RaNK as they come

steamID: Mr.Blonde
Xbox Live: HailMontezumah
congrats!

Postby Xion on Thu Apr 17, 2014 1:17 pm

Xion
Forum Guru
I got da cheats like Armstrong

steamID: Xion
AKA: Gunslinger
Have you worked for Capita before? The small print in the contract no doubt states that they now own your soul and that of your first born ;E

Postby larchy on Fri Apr 18, 2014 12:03 am

larchy
Site Admin
R2 where are you?

steamID: larchy
If the contract is up to the standard of everything else Crapita does then it probably actually reads "weee nwo o___w_n^^ ###@@@@@@ YOUR YOU'RE YOOOOO OER!! soles"

Postby Steev on Sat Apr 19, 2014 12:10 pm

Steev
I cry at wankings.

PSN: Velse
Xbox Live: Aesri
Twitter: velse
hahahahaha HR.

Return to General Chat