Postby Cacker on Fri Feb 14, 2014 10:48 am

Cacker
Site Admin
4th floor ponce

steamID: Cacker
PSN: Cacker67
antispam1: No
orientation: Yes
Just a note to say make sure Router passwords are not default and secondly they're not simple.

There's a hack where they comprise the router for a DNS hack that redirects all relative urls to linkbucks which is a pay-per-click website.

I was pulling my hair out not finding any malware on my machine, only to find it was all devices in the house and then found out that it was a dns hack.

It prepends the URL with various other site URLs, eg mine kept going to ultrafile.net, thus generating a click to a webpage, generating money for some c*nt some.

It only went away when I rebooted the router and then came back some time later on in the day. I stupidly had a simple password, thinking I was okay, because WAN access was turned off, thinking I was safe :/
/Chairs

Cacker

Re: linkbucks malware / router comprimise

Postby larchy on Thu Feb 20, 2014 8:24 pm

larchy
Site Admin
R2 where are you?

steamID: larchy
antispam1: Yes
Was this the cisco/linksys or asus one, both of which have made headlines in the past week?

I came across a linksys one about 8 years ago, changed all the router's DNS settings.

You'd think they'd target the crappy sky/virgin/BT shitboxes

At least noone has one of those networked toilet/bidets yet, though I am waiting for the first stories of Nest smoke alarms being hacked to sound continuously.

Postby Tonster on Thu Feb 20, 2014 10:37 pm

Tonster
Not Twisted, Toothpick or Tuff

steamID: MartianLM
Battle.Net ID: MartianLM#2136
Actually thanks for reminding me, just changed it so I'll never be able to access my router settings again.

larchy wrote:At least noone has one of those networked toilet/bidets yet

Have you checked with Kazza?

Postby Cacker on Fri Feb 21, 2014 2:23 pm

Cacker
Site Admin
4th floor ponce

steamID: Cacker
PSN: Cacker67
My router is actually a linksys, so yeah, pretty sure it's the issue that's hit the news recently.

However, I've been using DD-WRT firmware for years, so I don't think it's router specific. I did read that some routers have a backdoor port open that has been exploited.

This DNS exploit seems to bypass whether you have remote management switched on or off and routers with weak or default credentials get hit.

I had a simple user/password because I assumed turning off remote management would be enough :/
/Chairs

Cacker

Return to General Chat