The GTA-V thread

A place for all your general chat needs

The GTA-V thread

Postby Kiwi on Wed Sep 18, 2013 8:07 am

Kiwi
Forum Bicycle

Post your shenanigans here.

Took a good 25 mins to install the game on Xbox and only had a couple of hours play yesterday but loving it so far. Found a bugatti veyron to bomb around in and only done like 3 missions as having too much fun exploring. Man it's huge!!

Re: The GTA-V thread

Postby Tonster on Wed Sep 18, 2013 1:20 pm

Tonster
Not Twisted, Toothpick or Tuff

steamID: MartianLM
antispam1: No
orientation: Yes
Battle.Net ID: MartianLM#2136
I've been debating getting it for my rusting PS3 but £40 for a game bites. What's better about this game than the previous couple of GTA games?

The companion app is supposed to be worth getting as you can create your own custom cars to use in game and can reserve your personalised reg (if it hasn't been taken already).

Postby Kiwi on Wed Sep 18, 2013 2:11 pm

Kiwi
Forum Bicycle

The app I think is only for apple products as I haven't seen it on the google play marketplace for andriod, though the official website say its coming soon for windows, android, ps mobile and vita.

As for the game - its massive in every sense, huge sprawling city and I haven't even seen half of it yet. Can't comment on missions as only done a couple but they seem very much what you would expect from the series.

Graphically its better in every way, rain showers leave the road wet, causing spray to rise from tires, reduced handling of cars. The cars look stunning, very much best seen so far, people seem much better animated and realistic.

If you didn't like any of the previous games i'd say that you won't enjoy this either, if you did like the previous, then this game keeps to the franchise well, and it seems better and improved in every way that i've seen so far. What I like about it is the sandbox style of a city being simulated so well, giving you the freedom to go and do what you want.

Although i've not worked out how to surface after you dive under the water and ive drowned a couple of times :( Not had a go in a boat or any flying vehicles yet, but they have even put in sharks from what i've read and you can get yourself eaten by one if you so desire.

Considering the size and scale and whats in the game, its definately worth the money where other games that cost that price aren't, like the linear Call of Duty games etc. that you finish in a couple of hours. I can see me playing this for months before i've completed it, and even then there will be something I can still try and achieve.

Postby LSM on Wed Sep 18, 2013 3:24 pm

LSM
Forum Bicycle
Lazy Space Monkey

steamID: LSM
PSN: messele
AKA: Lt. Sex Machine
Twitter: messele
Stealing a Lear-Jet, later spotting a nice runway to land it to take a break and finding out it's a Military base.

Yeah, that alone was worth 50% of the entrance fee. SAM missiles and Plane explosions look ace.

BTW, yeah the companion app is iOS only but there is a droid version under development from what I heard. There was talk of a WinMob version too but I think that was just RockStar's funny sense of humour.

Postby Kiwi on Thu Sep 19, 2013 7:52 am

Kiwi
Forum Bicycle

The veyron is it seems a single spawn location and not a driving round spawn. If you can't find it and want to know it's location say and I'll try to describe where it is in spoiler tags. It's definitely my mode of transport of choice currently.

Postby phatb0y on Thu Sep 19, 2013 10:00 am

phatb0y
The Game Decider

PSN: phatb0y
AKA: chikhai, macumba
Twitter: phatb0y
antispam1: Yes
orientation: No
The map is a little on the small side for all the hype, but at least you can herd deer onto the freeway.

Postby LSM on Thu Sep 19, 2013 12:56 pm

LSM
Forum Bicycle
Lazy Space Monkey

I think the aspect that should have been focussed on was the lack of filler in the map rather than it's sheer scale. I don't think it feels any larger than Battlefield or Fallout but it does have a feeling that at some point or another somebody has lavished attention on pretty much every building, shrub, lamp post.

Basically, it's best appreciated on foot which is a bit unfortunate.

Postby Mister666 on Thu Sep 19, 2013 1:10 pm

Mister666
Forum Guru
tabard

steamID: Sixxor
PSN: Sixxor
Xbox Live: Sixxor
AKA: Sixxor/Sixxor666
Twitter: @DonkeyBadger
Battle.Net ID: Sixxor#2147
Loving this game so far. They seem to have preserved everything I'd expect like all the little details, the irreverent humour, the puns and plays on words in the company names and billboards, the excellent radio station chatter (they even brought Fernando back from Vice City), the in game websites like LifeInvader and the way that the rollover pointer gives you the middle finger.

Oh and Republican Space Rangers are back! Awesome.

Best improvement though has to be the much improved vehicle handling. In GTAIV the cars felt like they were on comedy extra bouncy springs and high speed cornering all to often ended up with you on your roof. So much better in V.

Postby LSM on Thu Sep 19, 2013 2:35 pm

LSM
Forum Bicycle
Lazy Space Monkey

There is a lot more differentiation between the characteristics of different vehicles which is pretty cool. Thankfully that means there is some skill to chucking them into corners still.

It also means that American cars are realistically shite but the most fun.

Postby Cacker on Fri Sep 20, 2013 11:04 am

Cacker
Site Admin
4th floor ponce

steamID: Cacker
PSN: Cacker67
comedy extra bouncy springs and high speed cornering all to often ended up with you on your roof

... but that's American cars modelled perfectly surely ? unless they had European cars doing this as well, which is shameful. I hope in GTA V they've kept the comedy springs for the Americans.
/Chairs

Cacker

Postby LSM on Fri Sep 20, 2013 11:20 am

LSM
Forum Bicycle
Lazy Space Monkey

I can confirm that yank tanks still corner like a comedy piece of shit.

I've done a few missions with Trevor now. Chuckled every bit as much as I hoped.

Postby Mister666 on Fri Sep 20, 2013 2:43 pm

Mister666
Forum Guru
tabard

steamID: Sixxor
PSN: Sixxor
Xbox Live: Sixxor
AKA: Sixxor/Sixxor666
Twitter: @DonkeyBadger
Battle.Net ID: Sixxor#2147
Cacker wrote:
comedy extra bouncy springs and high speed cornering all to often ended up with you on your roof

... but that's American cars modelled perfectly surely ? unless they had European cars doing this as well, which is shameful. I hope in GTA V they've kept the comedy springs for the Americans.

Maybe so, but I don't drive so dunno. Even so, from a gameplay standpoint it was incredibly frustrating, so I'm glad it's no longer the case.

Postby Quinnbeast on Sat Sep 21, 2013 8:08 pm

Quinnbeast
Forum Guru
Internet Hitler says Noooooooo

http://arstechnica.com/gaming/2013/09/g ... hree-days/

$800 million taken at the end of day one. Not bad for a bunch fae Embra.

Postby Cacker on Sun Sep 22, 2013 1:57 am

Cacker
Site Admin
4th floor ponce

steamID: Cacker
PSN: Cacker67
I heard on da grapevine it was now $1 billion or something. basically they're laughing on their way to the bank, in the bank, leaving the bank, to starbucks etc. laughing all the way.
/Chairs

Cacker

Postby PurpleRon on Sun Sep 22, 2013 3:11 am

PurpleRon
Forum Regular
Purple Heart...S-S-S-Saigon

steamID: PurpleRon
Any date for the PC version? After much trying I just cant use a controller - its the devils work!
By giving us the opinions of the uneducated, journalism keeps us in touch with the ignorance of the community.

Postby Tonster on Sun Sep 22, 2013 9:38 am

Tonster
Not Twisted, Toothpick or Tuff

steamID: MartianLM
Battle.Net ID: MartianLM#2136
Cacker wrote:I heard on da grapevine it was now $1 billion or something.

Yeah they broke $1bn in the first 3 days smashing anything the music or film industry has ever managed and then some.

PurpleRon wrote:Any date for the PC version? After much trying I just cant use a controller - its the devils work!

It's taken me several hours to even begin to get to grips with my PS3 controller, my time at the Ammunation shooting range was a joke, my biggest achievement was remembering which is the aim button. And I got arrested trying to rob a petrol station because I accidentally kicked a magazine stand and then couldn't remember how to equip a gun :oops:

So, anyone want me in their crew :E

Postby Refugee on Mon Sep 23, 2013 10:00 pm

Refugee
Forum Case-Study
#bitter

Xbox Live: Refwah
Twitter: AndrewFairbairn
Wish there were more heists

Postby phatb0y on Tue Sep 24, 2013 9:42 am

phatb0y
The Game Decider

Definitely more heists.

The other missions/activities are pretty shitty in comparison.

Apart from switching to Trevor every 10 minutes to see what hes getting up to; throwing people off bridges, kidnapping people, waking up in a woman's dress on top of a mountain etc.

Postby Refugee on Tue Sep 24, 2013 2:00 pm

Refugee
Forum Case-Study
#bitter

Xbox Live: Refwah
Twitter: AndrewFairbairn
also you should go out of your way to find packie

and the woman you can save from a car crash

Postby phatb0y on Tue Sep 24, 2013 2:14 pm

phatb0y
The Game Decider

Done and done.

The car crash woman is pretty random apparently. She can bleed out if you're travelling in the wrong direction when she spawns.

One good thing I've discovered though, if you fuck up any of the random events they respawn again a few days later.

Finished off the Altruists last night. That was well worth it. Arab money.

Next

Return to General Chat