PSN: Sixxor
Xbox Live: Sixxor
AKA: Sixxor/Sixxor666
Twitter: @DonkeyBadger
antispam1: Yes
orientation: No
Battle.Net ID: Sixxor#2147
Tonster wrote:
Quinnbeast wrote:Between this and Alien Cololnial Marines, I'm increasingly happy to avoid preorders or buying on release day/week... at least for big budget / full price games.

Bioshock Infinite has to be a sure thing shirley... *crosses fingers* Rather tempted to get that especially as I can get XCOM with it.

Please don't be shit...
Please don't be shit...
Please don't be shit...

Been looking forward to Bioshock Infinite for years. Repeating the above chant at least once a day until release... Although I did the same for Colonial Marines and look how that turned out. :(

So Colonial Marines and Sim City are huge let downs, but at least StarCraft 2: Heart of the Swarm delivered so all is not lost.

Re: Sim City players?

Postby Quinnbeast on Wed Mar 20, 2013 4:24 pm

Quinnbeast
Forum Guru
Internet Hitler says Noooooooo

antispam1: No
orientation: Yes
I didn't really 'get' the first Bioshock games, even though on paper they sound right up my road/street/alley. And as good as this new one looks, I'll be biding my time until the reviews convince me to part with my cash. I've got enough of a backlog of games to catch up on anyhoo.

I thought that A:CM was increasingly suspect the longer it went on, which now appears to be a quite an understatement. First announced about 7 years ago... multiple lay-offs from the team that were working on it... and as it turns out, the devs were funneling money/people from Sega's investment into the development of Borderlands (which turned out to be the cause of said lay-offs). Totally fucking bent.

Postby Refugee on Wed Mar 20, 2013 4:54 pm

Refugee
Forum Case-Study
#bitter

Xbox Live: Refwah
Twitter: AndrewFairbairn
I enjoyed the atmosphere of bioshock until it clicked that there's no real tension because dying doesnt matter, then I just sprinted through the rest of the game.

Postby Kiwi on Wed Mar 20, 2013 5:27 pm

Kiwi
Forum Bicycle

Well problems aside, the fact I've now got dead space 3 for free having paid for sim city less than the price of said game and I used online vouchers to get sim city cheaper than origin I'm happy as I've got two new games for £30. The problems with simcity should be sorted soon.

Postby Refugee on Wed Mar 20, 2013 5:47 pm

Refugee
Forum Case-Study
#bitter

Much like how Amy Winehouse died of a drug overdose

Postby phatb0y on Wed Mar 20, 2013 5:48 pm

phatb0y
The Game Decider

PSN: phatb0y
AKA: chikhai, macumba
Twitter: phatb0y
Kiwi wrote:The problems with simcity should be sorted soon.

Nope. SimCity is fundamentally flawed. It really is less reliable version of Farmville.

Enjoy Gears of Snow 3 though.

Postby Refugee on Wed Mar 20, 2013 5:54 pm

Refugee
Forum Case-Study
#bitter

Postby ParaSitius on Thu Mar 21, 2013 12:26 am

ParaSitius
Forum Guru
Optimistic Pederast

steamID: ParaSitius
Xbox Live: ParaSytius
AKA: Para
My brain is going into meltdown trying to work out the combo's available in NAM and just what section of road connects to which.

Postby Refugee on Tue Mar 26, 2013 3:58 pm

Refugee
Forum Case-Study
#bitter

Played the latest alpha of Prison Architect. I like that game.

I'm in that game.

Postby Kiwi on Fri Apr 19, 2013 2:30 pm

Kiwi
Forum Bicycle

I've got to the point where I am fed up of simcity 2013. Happy to eat humble pie and state that the game is a crock of shit. After playing about 100 hours or so, ive had numerous rollbacks/city not processing properly; traffic gridlock meaning the city literally burns to the ground and is swamped by crime as the firetrucks are all going to one fire, waiting in traffic; police not arresting anyone because they can't get to a crime in time. Transportation is utterly screwed. The lack of any road editing tools such as bridges, one way streets, highways and offramps is a real let down and should have been included. Maps are too small for the game, its not a city you make at this size its a town/suburb.

Then there are the bugs that piss you off, most annoying for me is the sound gets stuck in a loop usually police sirens and continues even on a new city with nothing in it until you restart the game.

But the agent system, whilst a great idea, just doesn't work. Having a sim not have a home of their own or job, but go to the first available just causes no end of problems with traffic and its fundamentally flawed. Making power/water use the agent system as well is a joke as you can have a building not receive any power just because the electricity decided to turn left instead of right.

I hope they address many of the issues but I expect its too far broken to ever be the game that was first advertised/invisioned.

I don't feel that I wasted my money though, because I got dead space 3 for free for buying a game that cost less than dead space 3 does.

Going to think long and hard before I buy any new game until its been out at least 2-4 weeks so as not to get a repeat of this crock of shite.

Its a shame because I love the 3D detail of the game, zooming in and looking at the buildings in detail etc, it just doesn't work. Only way I think i'll play simcity 2013 again is with a heavily modded/fixed version once they release the modding tools and allow people to upload mods without calling them hacks and banning them.

Incidentally I did look at maybe getting citiesXL platinum however I think thats got its own problems with stuff randomly stopping working, though it does look to be a bit of a better effort and things are at least on a bigger scale.

So yeah, I accept my initial enthusiasm was misplaced and you were right. The game sucks ass.

Postby Mister666 on Fri Apr 19, 2013 2:42 pm

Mister666
Forum Guru
tabard

steamID: Sixxor
PSN: Sixxor
Xbox Live: Sixxor
AKA: Sixxor/Sixxor666
Twitter: @DonkeyBadger
Battle.Net ID: Sixxor#2147
You still managed to put 100 hours into it though so either you just really wanted it to be good so were tolerating it's flaws or there is something good in there.

I would have given up long before 100 hours if it's a shit as all the reviews make it out to be.

Postby Kiwi on Fri Apr 19, 2013 3:28 pm

Kiwi
Forum Bicycle

A lot of the time spent was trying to get around many of the problems, only to find that no, you can't really. Your city would get to around 120k+ population and then start to fall apart. You could make a super profitable city provided you went down the processor/computer route and kept your population to a minimum. Go high density and your city just falls apart.

Even going sandbox and using the money cheat to allow you to design the "perfect" city the problems remain, with the higher population making your city invariably fail as sims cant get about, deliveries to your factories can't be made, fires burn out of control and crime takes over.

I just really can't understand how they figured that the game was good enough to release. It has effectively ruined the franchise. I doubt another reboot would be funded based on the colossal heap of shit their latest effort was.

Postby Refugee on Fri Apr 19, 2013 4:27 pm

Refugee
Forum Case-Study
#bitter

Kiwi wrote:The AI is what it is and if you play the game with that in mind and not like previous games then it is rather good.

Kiwi wrote:The problems with simcity should be sorted soon.

Postby Kiwi on Fri Apr 19, 2013 5:20 pm

Kiwi
Forum Bicycle

already said I was wrong, what the fuck is your problem? ego wank much?

Postby Refugee on Fri Apr 19, 2013 5:22 pm

Refugee
Forum Case-Study
#bitter

Your denying the obvious for months and putting 100+ hours into a game because you were right and we were wrong is funny.

But feel free to just start swearing and stuff it's clearly the mature, reasoned and Christian response to this.

Postby Kiwi on Fri Apr 19, 2013 6:36 pm

Kiwi
Forum Bicycle

Whatever

Postby Quinnbeast on Fri Apr 19, 2013 10:42 pm

Quinnbeast
Forum Guru
Internet Hitler says Noooooooo

lolz

Postby Squigg on Mon Apr 22, 2013 2:11 pm

Squigg
Forum Guru
Capitalist pigdog

steamID: squigg
Considering 100 hours is significantly more than the average human would spend on ANY game, I would hardly call this a waste or a failure either on your part or that of EA. In fact quite the opposite.

Postby Tonster on Mon Apr 22, 2013 2:51 pm

Tonster
Not Twisted, Toothpick or Tuff

steamID: MartianLM
Battle.Net ID: MartianLM#2136
Squigg wrote:Considering 100 hours is significantly more than the average human would spend on ANY game

Whereas badgers spend chuffing months on their games!

PreviousNext

Return to General Chat