orientation: Yes
The Hydrogen Sonata is pretty good, up there with the other Culture books

Re: Book recommendation Summary:

Postby Monie on Wed Nov 07, 2012 12:01 pm

Monie
Forum Bicycle
Grays...Sports...Almanac

Leviathan Wakes and Caliban's War - 9/10

I hate books in series, but I got suckered into this series before realising it wasn't just a stand alone book. Gotta say, I really enjoyed them so far and am waiting for the next in the series. The first one I think is probably better, and I kept thinking all the way through that about some of the rehashed shite that is being made into movies these days when an idea like this is pretty much sitting there readymade for a film adaptation. Anyway - I'd really recommend these, best sci-fi I've read in a long time.

Postby Defrag on Mon Dec 10, 2012 11:16 pm

Defrag
Forum Guru
I play Klingon boggle

I read a few of Mr. Millard's blog posts after the Saville-coloured shit hit the fan and impulse-purchased The Beach Diaries for 199 of your English (scumbag) pence. Very good. Imagine a(n even more) despairing Charlie Brooker sitting on a beach, people-watching while simultaneously calling for the bomb. And just fifteen minutes of an attractive lifeguard's time.

A drunk man sings. "Scooby Doo, Scooby Doo, what we gonna do?" "That's not how the Scooby Doo theme goes," I think. Except I don't think it, instead, I accidentally laugh disparagingly and say it out loud.'

How do women tell their bald husbands apart from all the other egg-men? I suppose it's like when people know which labrador is theirs

As the hovercraft departs, things become almost overwhelmingly British. A chain-bedecked mayor, coastguards, lifeguards, men in florescent jackets, a local news reporter, and a girl I was at school with; as they watch the hovercraft leave, it just happens. The most British thing. Robin Aswkith hiding from an irate husband and accidentally prodding open the wardrobe door with his erection. Black children at an urban dance centre choking back tears after a confusing encounter with Prince Philip. Michael Bisping spitting in someone's face. It all pales in Britishness as the hovercraft roars from the beach, and each and every single person starts fucking waving.

Postby Monie on Tue Jan 08, 2013 1:22 pm

Monie
Forum Bicycle
Grays...Sports...Almanac

The Martian - Andy Weir 9/10

Just finished this book and really enjoyed it. It's apparently self-published, and I just came across it browsing Amazon. Kindle version is $1.22 or 79p depending on which store you're using and I'd say it's well worth that.

Billed as a modern day Robinson Cruesoe story, basically about a near future manned mission to Mars that accidentally strands one of the astronauts that was thought dead in an accident. Told largely from his diary as he tries to survive on the planet long enough to be rescued.

Postby DrKazza on Fri Dec 05, 2014 11:04 am

DrKazza
Pinball Wizard

steamID: DrKazza
antispam1: No
orientation: Yes
I AM PILGRIM - TERRY HAYES

omg omg omg omg 10/10
best book i've read in YEARS

It's a mammoth book that starts fast and gets faster and faster - there's no filler in this it's just brilliant

bit of spy thriller, bit of murder mystery... think of Bourne meets Sherlock
That's The REVEREND Dr. Kazza to you.

Previous

Return to General Chat